Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Green Lantern: The Animated Series Finale

Inspired by the recent post about the Young Justice finale, I wanted to say how I enjoyed the Green Lantern finale specifically and the show in general. Despite the demotion of the Anti-Monitor to a giant Manhunter (as Murd recently stated), I enjoyed the "evil Aya" episodes and found them involving and intense. I've really enjoyed her character and was distraught to see her go rogue.

SPOILERS

I assumed she would come back to the light by the series end, but when she did, it was quite emotional, especially her (second) death. I really appreciated the blue lantern ring following Razor [sp?]--a sign of hope indeed!

I'm sorry to see the series go, but they did a good job wrapping up loose ends while at the same time leaving the door open for future adventures, should DC choose to do so.

Any other thoughts? Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    ajcasperiteajcasperite Posts: 221
    Saw it and yes it was a little hokey with the love stuff but it was still quite nice and it had a lot of heart. It seemed like the Lantern core was able to kill more manhunters off more easily this time than before. Whose hand was inside the beginning of time? Any references to the Fourth World? Or is just plain ol' god?
  • Options
    I wasn't quite sure what that hand was. I think the animators put it in there just because it looked cool :)
  • Options

I wasn't quite sure what that hand was. I think the animators put it in there just because it looked cool :)

As a co-host of a podcast DEDICATED to all things GL, I'll take this one. :D

The "hand" at the beginning of time is actually something that's been around since the mid 60's. In Green Lantern #40, Hal Jordan and Alan Scott team up and the "Secret origin of the Guardians is revealed". It's in this story that we meet Krona. Krona has become obsessed with figuring out what happened at the beginning of time. So he builds a "telescope" to see back to the VERYYYY beginning.

imageimageimage

It's a scene that's repeated hundreds of times in comics and becomes the catalyst that leads to 'Crisis on Infinite Earths' and the creation of the multiverse in general.

It even became the focal point of it's very own Green Lantern special issue...

But anywho, the legend goes that NO ONE can see the beginning of time without repercussions. It's been played with hundreds of times in DC continuity. It's even being played with right this moment in the Green Lantern comic book.

But there are MULTIPLE possibilities as to WHO the hand is in the DCU. Sometimes it's God, other times it's someone else.
  • Options
    In as far as the Animated series goes...I think that the hand was merely "God". Though I wouldn't at ALL put it past that creative team to play with that as much as DC themselves already has. So it's possible it COULD be someone else.
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    Not to mention that we also saw the hand, briefly, in an episode of Justice League Unlimited, when Batman and John Stewart pursued Chronos to the very beginning of time.
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    I thought the finale was amazing. It was moving and yet the way it ended, they could have gone on with another season. Maybe even a spin-off with Razor searching the Universe for a way to bring back Aya. I love that the blue ring follows him at the end. That character had evolved so much from the very first episode and if I didn't know what the title of this series was, I would almost say that that at times, he was the focal point of the show which is kind of cool. Love this show so much and will miss it.
  • Options
    I too loved the end. A very tender, sweet episode.

And, if I'm being honest with myself: Aya--I'd hit it.
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    Dug the series and sucks it got canned unfairly. Never cared for the cg approach though. Enjoyed the finale.
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    edited March 2013
    I hope all of the episodes will be collected into one great volume because I would buy the hell out of it.
  • Options
    JDickJDick Posts: 206
    I always assumed the hand was the hand of the DC creators who originally started the DCU. Someone from Earth Prime as it were.
  • Options
    I never wanted to watch or like this series. I only watched the first couple of weeks because I wanted to watch the shorts. I wasn't going to watch it long term, I told myself.

Dang it if I didn't find a reason to come back week after week. I really dug this series. I'm not even a big GL fan. I have no idea of Razor or Aya exist in the books. I have no idea anything about any of the other colored lanterns. But I really enjoyed the show.

I'm definitely disappointed that the show is over, and I really became invested in the characters. I would have liked to see it continue.
  • Options
    spidspid Posts: 203
    I thought the show zigged when I wanted it to zag. I would have liked the whole Anti-Monitor angle to play instead of it changing to Aya being the bad guy. That being said I thought the ending was pretty good.