Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Geeks on the run

As a life-long geek and long-time runner I can relate to this article in The Guardian :

Why running is the perfect pastime for geeks

Running is a passion of mine. And it literally prolonged my life way beyond expectation. According to my oncologists, surgeons and professor, the 3rd grade brain tumor should have put me into the ground a decade ago. But only weeks after each brain surgery I kept running on. It might not be the running alone that keeps me alive - but with it comes a different life style which helps. One eats more healthy - since with the wrong fuel the motor is not running right.... The mind is clear - one feels more optimistic.... etc..etc..

I do about 60k a week.

Do any of you geeks run? Let's share stories and such.

Comments

• Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    I ran cross country in high school, but my knees went bad in college so I can’t really run distance anymore. I can do low-impact things like bike and elliptical machines, but that’s it.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    I don't run but my 57 year old father runs 2-7 miles a day. He likes it for many of the reasons you state..clearing his mind is one he mentions a lot.
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200

I ran cross country in high school, but my knees went bad in college so I can’t really run distance anymore. I can do low-impact things like bike and elliptical machines, but that’s it.

I did Cross Country and track in high school. Then blew out my left knee in Army BCT. Can't run now ,but try to walk at least 4 miles a day. Have found it helps relax me and also lets me catch up on listening to podcasts.

• Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    I've always taken the same POV on exercise as Horace Rumpole, that nothing could be more unhealthy. Besides, both of my knees have gone bad in recent years, leaving me to take a 'morning constitution' whenever the weather permits.
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    I keep my fitness activities inside at home or at the YMCA. Our neighborhood is on the downturn, there has been an increase in assualts and homes are getting vandalized by upstart wannabe gangs.
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    Oh man - you guys make me appreciate the good state of my knees. Praised be the warm-up and stretching exercise routines

Had to google Horace Rumpole. Good stuff. :))
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    Greg said:

I keep my fitness activities inside at home or at the YMCA. Our neighborhood is on the downturn, there has been an increase in assualts and homes are getting vandalized by upstart wannabe gangs.

That sucks. Guess running in your neighborhood would be more of a steeplechase then. Or one has to be darn fast.

When indoors - do you run on the treadmill?

• Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946

Greg said:

That sucks. Guess running in your neighborhood would be more of a steeplechase then. Or one has to be darn fast.

When indoors - do you run on the treadmill?
    Yep. I also want to get an indoor bike, we've had four bikes stolen over the last five years, two of them were locked in the garage.
  • Options
    I do something approximating running. Wogging maybe? I'm training for a half marathon right now. I did not think I would like it as much as I do. I've got a ICD/pacemaker, so I can definitely relate to running keeping one alive.
  • Options
    TrustyMutsiTrustyMutsi Posts: 161
    I'm going to do Couch to 5K again. I stopped running because of winter, and I'm too tall for our treadmill (It's in our low ceiling basement). :(
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    I need to start running again but my shins and back don't always allow me to. I used to love it though.
  • Options
    Fade2BlackFade2Black Posts: 1,457
    I don't run/jog, but I do ride a bike and use the elliptical at the gym. I used to workout on the elliptical aprox. 5-7 hours per week and ride by bike to and from the gym, but my local gym closed in December. There are other locations that didn't close, but those other gyms are all much further away and consequently I haven't been as diligent about going as I'd like to be. Typically I average around 5 miles per one hour elliptical session. I workout with the elliptical set to its highest resistance setting as I've been going to the gym for about 2.5 years now and have gradually worked up to that point.