Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Disney World Suggestions

I know some of you are experts. Let's say you are at Disney World with a pass that gets you to all the parks. What do you recommend? (Other than Star Tours, as that's a given.)

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Comments

• Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    My wife and her cousin are more of the experts but she really loves Animal Kingdom. She loves that area a lot. Another thing that is fun for people who like a bit of a challenge is trying to find hidden Mickeys throughout the parks. I'm putting in some links to what Hidden Mickeys are:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hidden_Mickey
    http://www.hiddenmickeys.org/HiddenMickey.html
    http://www.hiddenmickeyguy.com/
  • Options
    Some of my favorites are Expedition Everest (Animal Kingdom), Tower of Terror (Disney Studios), Toy Story Mania (Disney Studios - my family's absolute favorite!), and Mickey's PhilharMagic (Magic Kingdom). When are you going? Summer time can be brutal for some of the lines. My favorite time of year to go is October. A lot less people go then.
    One other recommendation if you are going with kids: A fun place for dinner is Mickey's Backyard Bar-B-Que in Fort Wilderness Campground. It's an outdoor covered pavilion with a buffet of typical barbeque/cookout fare, but the best part of it is the close-up interaction the kids get with many of the "core" characters. A band is playing music and the kids get to dance with the characters on the dance floor. We have had so much fun at this dinner many times! Reservations are a must.
    Have fun!
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    I also remember that my cousin was a big fan of the turkey legs you can get at the food stands as well. Also, I think you can get apps of the Disney parks and whatnot. Check out "My Disney Experience - WDW" which has maps of all the parks, provides wait times, FASTPASS return times and the ability to view menus and book dining reservations and other stuff. This is the app from Disney and it looks pretty cool. I have something similar like this for the Sesame Place park.
  • Options
    RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207
    Also, make sure you stay upwind from The Animal Kingodm :-&
  • Options
    JoeSergiJoeSergi Posts: 78
    I got married there and go several times a year (most recently last month). When are you going (they have a lot of special events and "limited time magic" this year)? Another note is that if you have a fast pass, you have to go in the hour designated. In the past, you could go any time so long as it was after the your time. Because they are using more and more RFD entertainment, they are getting strict on enforcing the times. Another tip is, when there is a split and you can go two ways, always pick the left (as most people are right handed, those lines are longer--except for It's a Small World where they reversed the entrance and exit--I told you I go a lot). You can also buy a AAA diamond pass on ebay, which lets you park really close to the gates (you still have to pay for parking if you aren't on a resort). this is a godsend if you are park hopping.

Obviously, I recommend (not so obvious) Things i would recommend:

Magic Kingdom:

Get fast passes for Space Mountain; Little Mermaid; and Peter Pan first (they run out first and regularly have up to 2 hour waits).

1. Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom is a new interactive card game where you fight Disney villains throughout the park. You get a map and a pack of Cards and have to find the key portals, where you have to fight villains. (They are also adding a Pirate and Adventureland version, but I don't think that will be open yet.)

2. Eat at the Be Our guest Restaurant for Lunch (Dinner reservations are full for the foreseeable future). Walk around all the rooms (I loved the West Wing).

3 Play in the Haunted Mansion Cemetery (Disney has been advancing the interactive queues to rides (eg, Pooh has games; Space Mountain has arcade games that never really work, and Dumbo has no line--you get a beeper and sit while the kids are in a playground), but the Haunted Mansion has a cool graveyard you can walk through. (they also updated the ride).

4. Eat a Dole whip (unless you live in Hawaii, in which case you can get them anytime). they are Disney's signature treat.

5. Try to take the last boat on the Jungle Cruise at closing. (I'm not spoiling it, but wacky things are known to happen)

6. if you are in MK more than one night, watch the fireworks, and then go on Splash Mountain during the Fireworks the next night.

Epcot

Get fast passes for Soaring, mission Space (Orange); and Test Track. (Soaring had 200 minute wait when I was there).

1. if you get motion sickness at all, do the Green Team on Mission Space, the line is a lot shorter and you won't be sick all day. (It's basically the same experience).

2. Watch the tanks in the Seas, they do scuba lessons. Think of it as the ultimate in people watching.

3. Try to figure out how they do Turtle Time with Crush

4. the table service place in the Japanese garden is great place to eat the food is great and you can pretend that you are Wolverine in a Claremont story. (the hibachi place is awesome but hard to get into). There is also an anime exhibit hidden in the back of the Japanese pavilion. The gift shop is cool.

5. The mexico pavilion is bigger on the inside and has a fun ride. The restaurant inside lets you eat near a volcano.

6. DON'T EAT IN CHINA (especially the 9 dragons, it's downright inedible). You should, however watch the acrobats.

7. Sign up for the Agent P challenge. Similar to the Sorcerer game, you use a cell phone they give you have to work with Agent P in a designated country to find clues with you communicator and stop Doctor Dufensmirch. Very clever, very funny and kids love it.

8. If you are into science, the living with the Land boat ride is very interesting.

9. Don't miss Illuminations. They offer a dessert party (we did it for our rehearsal dinner) but you don't really need it as there are lots of good views all around the countries.

Hollywood Studios

Get fast passes for Midway Mania, Rocking Roller Coaster; and the Twilight Zone Tower of Terror (sadly, you don't need one for Star Tours outside of Star Wars Weekends, but there aren't a lot of rides, so i usually end up getting them anyway.).

1. If you are into Star Wars, go on Star Tours 2.0 a bunch of times. There are 2 potential openings; six potential planets; and 3 different "guest stars".

2. If your kids are into Star Wars (and young), they can do the jedi academy and learn to fight with a lightsaber. (depending on park capacity, they can even train with Asohka Tano).

3. The Indiana Jones Stunt show has fallen off a bit, but if you want to be in the show, get there early and sit in the first few rows.

4. The SciFi Diner is my favorite place to have a snack (need reservations). you sit in a car and watch cheesy scifi trailers and shorts. (I also like the bookstore it is connected to.

5. For a unique family experience the 50s Prime Time Cafe is a lot of fun (reservations needed). They treat you like you a kid in the 50s, you have to set the table, eat your vegetables, and assorted other fun. It's better than I make it sound.

6. Don't miss Fantasmic (you can get dinner packages at several restaurants that will give you guaranteed seating so you don't have to wait.)

Animal Kingdom (my least favorite of the parks)

Fast Pass for Expedition Everest and Dinosaur and the safari

1. If you can, rush to take the train to Rafiki's planet watch. On the early trains, you can see the trainers releasing all the animals out into the wild and will see some amazing creatures up close.

2. Expedition Everest has a hidden single rider line (with an average wait time of around 10 minutes). Just ask for it. (too bad the yeti has been broken for years)

3. Make sure you do Dinosaur.

4. I like the Bengal BBQ.

5. the Lion King show is better than it sounds.

6. If there is a big line at the gate, cut through the rain forest cafe (there is a secret entrance).

Outside the park, but in the resort:

1. Your tickets may include Disney Quest, if they do. You should go once. If they don't, I wouldn't pay for it.
    2. If you are looking to save money, Restaurants.com have discounted certificates for House of Blues and a couple character restaurants in the Swan and Dolphin. (sometimes as cheap as $1 for $25.00.
    3. BOMA (in the Animal Kingdom lodge) is my hands down favorite Restaraunt in the resort.
    4. In Downtown Disney, T-Rex is a really fun place to eat (think Rainforest Cafe for Dinosaurs. (Don't eat in the ice cave, you will get a headache).
    5. the California Grill (in the Contemporary) has a great dinner and you can see the fireworks.
    6. the best character meals (for food) are the breakfasts at Crystal Palace (Pooh); Chef Mickey (mickey and Friends) and 1900 Park Fare in the Grand Floridian (British Characters). The worst one is the Princess dinner in Norway, followed pretty closely by the Princess Breakfast in Norway (unless you like authentic Norwegian food). I think the Castle Character Breakfast is overrated and expensive, but I still take my daughter whenever she asks because I'm a wimp and she's Daddy's little girl.

That is all i can think of off the top of my head. Let me know if you need anything specific. I could probably do the same thing for Universal if you needed it.

Sorry for the infodump and long email.

Have great time.

Joe

• Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    Thanks, everyone!