Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Comics Pre-Order Services Compared & Inquiry About DCBS

I used to use MyComicShop.com, but they were not discounting pre-orders at all. However when I moved on to TFAW.com, they discounted heavily and had great customer service, but they did not supply you with a tracking number. I like having a tracking number and MCS provided that.

Another thing I like about TFAW is that they will bundle all of your pre-orders that come out every week and send them once a month (or every two weeks, weekly whichever you prefer), and you pay less shipping charges.

Both services bag & back your books (for an extra .25 each) and both services allow you to purchase pre-orders as well as in-stock items.

TFAW only charges your credit card when they actually ship the books.

I mention all of this because I have been considering trying out DCBS since they sponsor CGS, but I am reluctant to change services yet again. Can anyone that has been using DCBS tell me how they compare to TFAW and MCS? And does anyone have any experiences they would be willing to share about any of these services or others?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    edited May 2013
    DCBS has deeper discounts than TFAW.

A random look:

Avangers AI

TFAW: $1.94
    DCBS: $1.49

Batwing #22

TFAW: $1.94
    DCBS: $1.79

Dr Strange And Dr Doom TPB Triumph And Torment

TFAW: $11.89
    DCBS: $8.49

(Bags and boards are $ .12 per book @ DCBS)

I have used a few different services over the years. DCBS is by far the cheapest of what is currently out there. They have wonderful customer service and are very flexible when it comes to last minute changes to my orders.

Mailordercomics.com is another good site with great CS but their discounts are not as good as DCBS.

I know it's a hassle to change to another service(having done it a few times myself) but it'll be worth if for you.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Thanks @Mr_Cosmic. You've nailed most all of my reasons for changing.

Does DCBS also sell current issues?

Do they provide tracking number for your shipment?

Do they bundle all of your preorders that may come out different weeks into one monthly shipping?

Do they charge when you order or when they ship?
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    I have not used the other services but I do use DCBS:

This discounts for DCBS for the big 2 companies are usually 40 to 45 % for floppies and the new release trades have been 50% off for a few months now but that might change.

Bags and boards costs depend on what type of bags and boards you want. The cheapest is 12 cents per comic. I get the mid range, 30 cents per comic.

You can add in stock items. They will be shipped with your next order, not the order you are placing now. The payment for instock items will be taken out when shipped.

Shipping is almost 7 dollars, but nearly all of my orders have been sent FED EX and arrive 3 days after being shipped.

The only problem I have ever had with DCBS or instock trades is communication. If something is delayed or back ordered, they will not tell you unless you contact them. And this just may be me, but for some reason they only answer my emails on Tuesdays.
  • Options
    Thanks @CaptShazam ~ maybe they do Tuesdays because they ship on Mondays? Who knows.

Can you tell me if they ship all of your titles in one monthly shipping or do they ship them the week they are released? Or, can you select your preference on shipping frequency?
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    edited May 2013
    - If you ask them for a current issue they may have it in stock or re-order it for you. This is something I haven't done and others might be better answering that for you.

- Trackingnumbers? Yes

- You can choose weekly, bi-weekly, and monthly shipping. I choose monthly and every week's comics come in once nice package at the end of the month.
    Q) When will my order be charged?

A) If you place an order only containing collectibles (statue, busts, or action figures), your order will be charged once all items have arrived and are being readied for shipment.

If you place an order containing collectibles and books or books only, your order will be charged in the middle of the month following the order placement.

• Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794

Do they bundle all of your preorders that may come out different weeks into one monthly shipping?

Do they charge when you order or when they ship?

You have the option to ship weekly, bi-weekly, or monthly. The more you ship, the more shipping you'll pay. I ship monthly and pay a one time shipping fee of $7-8 which is charged when your order is placed. That may seem high but it will even out if you're ordering over a certain amount each month (which I usually do). The turnaround comes because some months you'll get a hernia-inducing box that would have obviously cost significantly more than $8 to ship, but other months it's a standard small box that wouldn't. Either way, it's not your headache, because you just pay that $8 flat fee each month.

• Options
    @Mr_Cosmic said:
    Mr_Cosmic said:

- If you ask them for a current issue they may have it in stock or re-order it for you. This is something I haven't done and others might be better answering that for you.

I'm only wondering because I don't want to miss any issues when the switch. I am clearly convinced that I need to switch services and say goodbye to TFAW.

Thanks for all of the helpful info guys.

@Torchsong - I too have gotten some hefty orders in the past few months. This is another reason I'm switching to someone less expensive.

Anyone have any thoughts on where to purchase back issues? I'm somewhere between Atomic Avenue and eBay. Anyone know of better outlets for hard to find bronze, copper, or silver age back issues?
  • Options
    luckymustardluckymustard Posts: 927

Anyone have any thoughts on where to purchase back issues? I'm somewhere between Atomic Avenue and eBay. Anyone know of better outlets for hard to find bronze, copper, or silver age back issues

fearlessreadersonline.com
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    I've been using Westfield Comics (westfieldcomics.com/) for fifteen years now, and I've always found their prices to be competitive and the service exemplary. In all that time, they only screwed up my order once and had my package lost in the mail twice, and on each occasion were able to replace the orders, missing only one comic. That's a pretty darn good ratio, and they've always been prompt to respond to any inquiries I might have.

I've got no complaint with DCBS, which I've used on occasion, but Westfield has me pretty well locked up as a happy customer.
  • Options
    FRO looks very good for filling some holes in my copper or modern age back issues, but a bit slim on the bronze or silver age selections. Maybe I need to explore them more. I've bookmarked them for future reference and will continue referencing eBay and AtomicAvenue.com as well (which I like because you can get books from different shops/owners at varying grades and prices). Thanks for the link!

I've got no complaint with DCBS, which I've used on occasion, but Westfield has me pretty well locked up as a happy customer.

It looks like Westfield only offers about a 20% discount on preorders. Are there any other reasons you would you recommend them besides their top shelf customer service? Which is VERY important of course.
  • Options
    ctowner1ctowner1 Posts: 481
    DCBS's site says that on 5 Weds. months, if you get twice a month shipments, you'll get it the weeks of the 3rd & 5th Weds. This is a 5 weds. month, but I received a shipping notification for this week (2nd week). Anyone know if they changed their policy? Or is this month just an exception?

e
    L nny
  • Options

It looks like Westfield only offers about a 20% discount on preorders. Are there any other reasons you would you recommend them besides their top shelf customer service? Which is VERY important of course.

The customer service is the key thing, plus having used them for fifteen years. That goes a long way with me. After all this time, I know they're dependable.

Now, if something were to happen to them (God forbid!!), then I would probably move to DCBS, who I've gone to a few times for specific deals on specific books I was looking for and who I found to be pretty good. But I'm comfortable where I am, and I like Westfield.
  • Options
    CourtOfOwlsCourtOfOwls Posts: 41
    @bralinator I have used DCBS for a few years now. Initially, I was very happy with them. The prices were awesome compared to what I had been paying with my LCBS subscription service, and the home delivery is great. However, I have noticed a significant decline in DCBS customer service in the past 8 months, with my orders frequently being messed up - something that NEVER happened before! Comics have ordered never arrive, even though they are sitting in my "unshipped items" list for months. I find I have to constantly be emailing them - they provide NO phone number, so you can never talk to a live human being - to ask what happened to such and such a comic I have been waiting for forever. It often takes 3 or more days for them to respond to my email, & I usually have to email them 2-3 times on the same subject before they respond. I requested they ship all my comics with bags & boards, and they have forgotten to do so on my last 3 shipments. When I email them to complain, they say they will send replacements in my next shipment. And, of course, they never do! I have even received issues out of order, ie: I ordered The Unwritten issue 45 and issue 47. They sent me issue 47, & I am STILL waiting for issue 45!! I emailed them about this, and they offered NO explanation or apology! They simply said they were going to re-order 45 for me. Basically they screwed up and forgot to fill my order, now they have to back order it. If I do not get a 1st printing of it, I will be sending it back with yet another email of complaint. Long story short, DCBS has become more work to keep on top of them than I want to be bothered with. Therefore, I have placed no new orders with them & have closed my account after my last order finally arrives - if ever. I would NOT recommend using them. Their low prices are matched by their poor service.
  • Options
    TrevTrev Posts: 310
    Courtesy of Google:

Discount Comic Book Service
    5.0 star rating
    3 reviews

Category: Comic Books [Edit]
    10202-C Coldwater Rd
    Fort Wayne, IN 46825
    (260) 489-1787
    http://www.dcbservice.com

@bralinator I have used DCBS for a few years now. Initially, I was very happy with them. The prices were awesome compared to what I had been paying with my LCBS subscription service, and the home delivery is great. However, I have noticed a significant decline in DCBS customer service in the past 8 months, with my orders frequently being messed up - something that NEVER happened before! Comics have ordered never arrive, even though they are sitting in my "unshipped items" list for months. I find I have to constantly be emailing them - they provide NO phone number, so you can never talk to a live human being - to ask what happened to such and such a comic I have been waiting for forever. It often takes 3 or more days for them to respond to my email, & I usually have to email them 2-3 times on the same subject before they respond. I requested they ship all my comics with bags & boards, and they have forgotten to do so on my last 3 shipments. When I email them to complain, they say they will send replacements in my next shipment. And, of course, they never do! I have even received issues out of order, ie: I ordered The Unwritten issue 45 and issue 47. They sent me issue 47, & I am STILL waiting for issue 45!! I emailed them about this, and they offered NO explanation or apology! They simply said they were going to re-order 45 for me. Basically they screwed up and forgot to fill my order, now they have to back order it. If I do not get a 1st printing of it, I will be sending it back with yet another email of complaint. Long story short, DCBS has become more work to keep on top of them than I want to be bothered with. Therefore, I have placed no new orders with them & have closed my account after my last order finally arrives - if ever. I would NOT recommend using them. Their low prices are matched by their poor service.

• Options
    @Trev The information you posted still doesn't change MY experience, nor does it make what I posted untrue. The "5 star rating" is meaningless because the "facts" you posted indicate there were only 3 customer reviews. 3 people gave DCBS 5 stars. WOW! Awesome! The rating system is only as good and meaningful as the number of people who choose to take such surveys. I, for one, never go to websites like Yelp, etc and take the time to rate a company. Nor do I take customer satisfaction surveys. I let the company know, directly, how I feel about them. And, believe me, I have told DCBS OFTEN what I think about the recent decline in the their customer service!! And, I have cancelled my account. I think THAT means more than what you posted.
  • Options
    my post was simply their address and phone. the other stuff came along for the ride.

@Trev The information you posted still doesn't change MY experience, nor does it make what I posted untrue. The "5 star rating" is meaningless because the "facts" you posted indicate there were only 3 customer reviews. 3 people gave DCBS 5 stars. WOW! Awesome! The rating system is only as good and meaningful as the number of people who choose to take such surveys. I, for one, never go to websites like Yelp, etc and take the time to rate a company. Nor do I take customer satisfaction surveys. I let the company know, directly, how I feel about them. And, believe me, I have told DCBS OFTEN what I think about the recent decline in the their customer service!! And, I have cancelled my account. I think THAT means more than what you posted.

• Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    Has anyone else had such a bad experience? I have never had DCBS mess up an order but I do most get trades which might be harder to screw up. The communication has been an issue for me but that is the extent of my problems.
  • Options
    Like I said, I've only used them a very few times and had no difficulties. However, like @CaptShazam, I've only ordered trades, so I guess I can't offer a fair assessment of their handling of standard monthly orders.
  • Options
    FlagwaverFlagwaver Posts: 140
    edited May 2013
    Anyone have any thoughts on where to purchase back issues? I'm somewhere between Atomic Avenue and eBay. Anyone know of better outlets for hard to find bronze, copper, or silver age back issues?

I use ComicCollectorLive to catalog my collection and buy back issues. Their site has many stores to buy from and you can set up a wishlist, using the software or just the website, to help search for books you are looking for.

I've used DCBS for over five years and have not had any real problems. I've had an issue missing from the order once or twice but they always send it with the next shipment. If I do have a problem or question, they have always responded within a day or two.
  • Options
    mguy1977mguy1977 Posts: 801
    edited May 2013
    They made the occasional "good" messup. They sent me an extra Wednesday's Comics HC & I mailed the extra copy back to them. Humans make errors including myself but no biggies.

Matthew
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    I've had items from DCBS that have either been cancelled or they haven't been able to fulfill for quite a long time. However, I'm easy going and if something isn't available anymore, then it isn't available, and it's not really their fault. As long as I get refunded then I'm okay. Customer service does have a little bit of a wait time, but I just figured that the store employs roughly the same amount of people as my LCS. They're not only a online retailer that ships internationally (they do ship to the UK, correct?), but also an actual brick and mortar store. They've always been good to me.
  • Options
    Flagwaver said:

I've used mycomicshop pretty heavily over the last couple of years for back issue buying. Their prices are pretty good and their grading is excellent. Their packing and shipping is great too.

If you're into more expensive silver, bronze, and copper they also run a monthly auction where you can find some good stuff too.

I've both bought and sold books with them and very happy on both sides of the transaction.

• Options
    @Flagwaver Mile High comics has a pretty extensive back issue catalogue. They even list the grade of the comics they have in stock. Their prices are a bit high, but not necessarily higher than Ebay - depending on what you are looking to purchase. My only issue with Mile High is I was not happy with how they packed & shipped, & I don't agree with their grading at times. For example, re grading, I ordered a comic issue that they graded has "near mint", but I what I really would call "very fine". The price between a near mint & a very fine was significant, & I complained to them that they charged me the higher price for the lesser comic. To their credit, however, they shipped out another copy to me & their customer service was excellent.
  • Options
    The person who started this discussion thread, @bralinator, asked for people's opinions & experiences with DCBS. I have posted MY experience and opinion. This does not negate nor change anyone else's experience or opinion - it is simply MY experience after being a loyal DCBS customer for several years. I have to say that I am VERY disappointed by the fact that 3 people have clicked "disagree" on my comment about DCBS! How do you possibly disagree with someone's experience???? I am not a liar. I am more than happy to post all of the emails between myself and DCBS, as well as my shipped & unshipped items - I have saved everything. My experience with DCBS was not posted as a "discussion", or something that needed critical review, dislike, or disagree. Someone asked for experiences, so I posted mine. There is NOTHING to disagree with. You are free to post how much you love & adore DCBS, and share all of the wonderful things you have experienced with them. But I am ALSO free to post my experience. If that happens to be a negative experience, it is what it is. To get your panties in a bunch & "disagree" because your little fanboy ass is hurt for poor DCBS, well all I can say is you need to get yourselves a little self reflection time, and step the fuck off my shit! DCBS SUCKS! I WOULD NEVER USE THEM. Disagree with THAT mo-fo's!
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    And to drive the point home. I disagreed with your post just before David's. I don't agree with your last few statements - DCBS doesn't suck. They're a great service that have allowed me to stay in this very expensive hobby of ours. You had some bad experiences with them, so you'll never use them. Bully for you. I don't agree that I would never use them, though.

A disagreement =/= disrespect. It just means not everyone sees things the way you do.
  • Options
    @Torchsong, DCBS DOES suck! Maybe not to you, but to me they do. You have your experience, & I have mine. My experience is no less legitimate than yours. @David_D when you say that you disagree because you have had a different experience, that makes no sense. YOUR experience is different than MINE. There is nothing to disagree with. Just state YOUR experience and let it speak for itself - you can't disagree with someone's experience because it didn't happen to you. It is an experience, not an opinion. If someone posts an opinion, then one can agree, disagree, or whatever they want. But when someone posts an experience, there is nothing to agree or disagree with. I reached out to a person who asked for info on DCBS. Others can post their own experiences. I am not going to comment on what they post, because I have no 1st hand knowledge of their experience. If someone just wants to post "I don't like DCBS" - or any other opinion - with no reason given other than that is what they feel, then I might comment on that or ask that person a question about why they have that opinion. But, when someone like myself takes the time to share the multitude of things DCBS has done wrong, & my experience with DCBS, there is nothing to disagree with. It's not my fault DCBS blew it with me. As I said, if people have their own experience, let them share it, but they have no business diminishing or minimizing mine!
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    omg group pressure......must resist....
  • Options
    All I can say is that @CourtOfOwls is the only DCBS Hater I have ever encountered.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    @CourtofOwls yes. You stated your experience, and came to a conclusion based on those experiences. My experience has been far more positive, and therefore my conclusion differs from yours. The OP is asking what to expect, I "disagree" (hence the button) that one should expect to have your experience. It is simple as that. Like all reviewing, if someone says "this movie sucks!" And I disagree, I am not invalidating their experience, I am simply speaking from mine.

I have a question- would you have yelled at someone that clicked "agree"? It seems you feel that your post should not be seen as an opinion of your experience, but rather as a sort of testimony. So I take it no one can agree with you, because even if they, too, felt DCBS "sucks", they would be minimizing or diminishing your "sucks" by agreeing with it based on their "sucks". Right?