Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

TV News: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Comments

• Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    WetRats said:

dubbat138 said:

KyleMoyer said:

Crazy thing about this is that I used the same terms to describe the CGS crew to someone. Weird huh?

CGS is a procedural, isn't it?
    If so which CGS member is David Caruso?
    Hell with Caruso, which one's Pauley Perrette?
    Deemer!

M
  • Options
    tazmaniaktazmaniak Posts: 733
    It seems Agent Coulson will be a part of the series. Clark Gregg has been named as the first actor cast in the pilot.

Comic Book Resources

Marvel

Whedon says he's headlining the show and always was.
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    Matt said:

WetRats said:

dubbat138 said:

KyleMoyer said:

Crazy thing about this is that I used the same terms to describe the CGS crew to someone. Weird huh?

CGS is a procedural, isn't it?
    If so which CGS member is David Caruso?
    Hell with Caruso, which one's Pauley Perrette?
    Deemer!

M
    Ok isn't Pauley the goth looking lady from NCIS?

If so I would say that Murd is her.

• Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    Huzzah! I still want to see Coulson as the template for the Vision.
  • Options
    YES! I missed Phil!
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    Glad Caulson is gonna be a part of this in some way.
  • Options
    Ming-Na joins the cast.

Deadline

She will play Agent Melinda May, a character initially identified as Agent Althea Rice.
  • Options
    WebheadWebhead Posts: 458
    tazmaniak said:

Ming-Na joins the cast.

Mulan is an Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. ?
    :P
  • Options
    Webhead said:

tazmaniak said:

Ming-Na joins the cast.

Mulan is an Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. ?
    :P
    You're unsuited for the rage of war. So pack up. Go home. You're through.

How could I make a man out of you?
  • Options
    We must be swift as the coursing river,
    With all the force of a great typhoon,
    With all the strength of a raging fire,
    Mysterious as the dark side of the mooooooon!

(Glad to know I wasn't the only one thinking all this.)
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Two more roles have been cast. Elizabeth Henstridge will play Agent Gemma Simmons, while Iain De Caestecker will play Agent Leo Fitz.

The Hollywood Reporter
  • Options
    tazmaniak said:

Two more roles have been cast. Elizabeth Henstridge will play Agent Gemma Simmons, while Iain De Caestecker will play Agent Leo Fitz.

The Hollywood Reporter

Nice.

Now if only a role could be filled by Kate Siegel, I'd be set.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Brett Dalton cast as Agent Grant Ward.

TVL
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    The final series lead has been cast. Chloe Bennett will play Skye.

The Hollywood Reporter

"Skye is a confident woman who is slightly obsessed with superhero culture and the shadow organizations that exist within it. She's edgy and can out-talk anyone with her unflappable nature."
  • Options
    The series gets a new title, Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., and a synopsis.
    Joss Whedon shows us not all heroes are super with "Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D."

Fresh from his role in the summer’s box office smash, Marvel's The Avengers, Agent Phil Coulson (Clark Gregg) returns to the worldwide law enforcement organization S.H.I.E.L.D. He puts together a small, highly trained, team of Agents to tackle the cases that haven’t been classified yet, the new, the strange and the unknown. That team consists of straight arrow Agent Grant Ward (Brett Dalton), an expert in combat and espionage; pilot and martial artist Agent Melinda May (Ming-Na Wen); and brilliant if socially awkward scientists Agent Leo Fitz (Iain De Caestecker) and Agent Jemma Simmons (Elizabeth Henstridge). They’ll be joined by civilian new recruit and computer hacker Skye (Chloe Bennet).
    Prepare for an epic adventure that showcases the hope and wonder of the human spirit. This is a world of Super Heroes, aliens and the unusual – of action, spectacle and world spanning stories. The show will speak to the human condition through the lens of our very human, non-powered S.H.I.E.L.D agents – that together we are greater than we are apart, and that we can make a difference in the world.

Executive Produced and co-written by Joss Whedon, Jed Whedon & Maurissa Tancharoen ("Dollhouse," "Dr.Horrible’s Sing-Along Blog"), Jeffrey Bell ("Angel," "Alias") and Jeph Loeb ("Smallville," "Lost," "Heroes") comes Marvel’s first live-action TV series, "Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D."
    ABC All Access
  • Options
    TV By the Numbers is reporting ABC has picked up the series and the first promo will air during Once Upon A Time's season finale on Sunday.
  • Options
    matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    edited May 2013
    Sounds like X-files meets Buffy meets Busiek's Marvels. If they can capture the everyman's perspective in the Marvel universe, I think it will be a winner. Pretty excited for this.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    ABC has officially ordered the series.

• Options
    tazmaniak said:

ABC has officially ordered the series.

So is this pre-Avengers, a different universe, or does Coulsen really live?!

M
  • Options
    It's post-Avengers. As Whedon and Feige has told us, Coulson definitely died in Avengers. In a recent interview with Clark Gregg, he said you will have some clues as to how Coulson is there, but you won't know everything. He said it was something they'll probably play with and explore throughout the season.
  • Options
    tazmaniak said:

It's post-Avengers. As Whedon and Feige has told us, Coulson definitely died in Avengers. In a recent interview with Clark Gregg, he said you will have some clues as to how Coulson is there, but you won't know everything. He said it was something they'll probably play with and explore throughout the season.

Besides Coulsen, only 1 person wearing a suit, 1 guy with a tie but no suit, & 2 people wearing sneakers. This confirms my suspicions the series is not going to be a show I want to see. It might be labeled SHIELD, but it looks nothing like what we've seen in the comics OR Marvel movies.

M
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    yeah im getting less enthused with every new detail. The casting and descriptions have done nothing for me. Im assuming Coulson in the series is an LMD who may evolve into the Vision for the big screen?
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Matt said:

tazmaniak said:

Besides Coulsen, only 1 person wearing a suit, 1 guy with a tie but no suit, & 2 people wearing sneakers. This confirms my suspicions the series is not going to be a show I want to see. It might be labeled SHIELD, but it looks nothing like what we've seen in the comics OR Marvel movies.

M
    Could I ask why you believe the casts' attire is an indication of how the show will play out?

Coulson is in a suit, just like we've seen him, Sitwell, Blake and Benny wear in the films and shorts.

From what we've seen in Thor, Captain America and Avengers, it seems field agents and high ranking agents wear suits, while the agents who don't work in the field and remain on the Hellicarrier wear the uniforms. Hawkeye and Black Widow are the only field agents we've seen who wear S.H.I.E.L.D. uniforms. And theirs are variations of the uniforms. Fury and Hill are high ranking agents, but they don't do field work. They stay on the Hellicarrier.

Agent Grant, the male to the far right, is a field agent and he's dressed just like the field agents we've seen with Coulson in the movies.

Agent Simmons, the female to the left of Coulson, is dressed similarly to Claire in Item 47.

Agent May, the female to the right of Coulson, could be wearing a version of the uniform under her jacket. But, she is an administrator, so she probably wouldn't wear a uniform.

Skye, the female on the far left, is a civilian, so it makes sense for her to be dressed as one.

I think what they're wearing is a lot like what we've already seen.
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    Looking at the promo picture of the cast it screams "generic". Could be any hip cast for a new vampire/crime/action/romance/drama series targeted at a certain audience.

But I'll give it a chance. After all I do LOVE shows like Arrow or Once upon a Time. And turning 47 this year I might not be the audience for that stuff either.....
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    tazmaniak said:

Matt said:

tazmaniak said:

M
    Could I ask why you believe the casts' attire is an indication of how the show will play out?

Coulson is in a suit, just like we've seen him, Sitwell, Blake and Benny wear in the films and shorts.

From what we've seen in Thor, Captain America and Avengers, it seems field agents and high ranking agents wear suits, while the agents who don't work in the field and remain on the Hellicarrier wear the uniforms. Hawkeye and Black Widow are the only field agents we've seen who wear S.H.I.E.L.D. uniforms. And theirs are variations of the uniforms. Fury and Hill are high ranking agents, but they don't do field work. They stay on the Hellicarrier.

Agent Grant, the male to the far right, is a field agent and he's dressed just like the field agents we've seen with Coulson in the movies.

Agent Simmons, the female to the left of Coulson, is dressed similarly to Claire in Item 47.

Agent May, the female to the right of Coulson, could be wearing a version of the uniform under her jacket. But, she is an administrator, so she probably wouldn't wear a uniform.

Skye, the female on the far left, is a civilian, so it makes sense for her to be dressed as one.

Sure, its establishing the "feel" or theme of the show. It looks just like what @John_Steed describes. I get these "we're not those stuffy guys you're used to see, but a hip group you can relate to" vibes.

I was hoping for something more like MiB or Hoover era FBI; all suits, professional, highly trained, GIJoe elite crew.

Do you recall the reboot/revamped Knight Rider series? I so wanted to like that series. When it was struggling, I did something I never do; I sent them an email. There were several things I noted that shouldve been altered. One of which was less Deanna Russo in skimpy bikinis; not because I have an issue with seeing in skimpy anything, but she's supposed to be working with her dad & it comes off as "look at our sexy, young stars."

Another suggestion was to trim the cast. They did, but kept the young 'geeky, but cute computer nerd' & 'cyber-freaky, don't conform to society computer chick.' Both of which I suggested dropping.

The main suggestion I gave was that the original series was 'the Lone Ranger with a car' premise. This series seemed more like a copy of VIPER, which was a copy of Knight Rider. The show lost its roots it was marketed to be based on.

I got a blowoff email telling me they knew what they were doing. Couple months later, the show is down a couple episodes for the season, then canceled.

The description & promos for SHIELD remind me of that Knight Rider series. So the attire does help set a tone. I'll have to rewatch Item 47. It seems weird SHIELD would be that lax with a dress code.

M
  • Options
    Matt said:

tazmaniak said:

Matt said:

tazmaniak said:

M

I was hoping for something more like MiB or Hoover era FBI; all suits, professional, highly trained, GIJoe elite crew.

M
    Gotcha. Though I don't think there was ever really a possibility of the show being like that. I think it was safe to assume the show would be akin to Whedon's other works. A close-knit qausi-superhero team comprised of various genre archetypes who actually subvert those common archetypes. They're all good at what they do, but they're not exactly "professional". Professional in the negative connotation, as in stuffy and by the book, which doesn't really play too well on television. A character driven series.

I would hope we're not getting another Knight Rider 2K8. As a big fan of Joss Whedon, as well as Jed Whedon, Maurissa Tancharoen and Jeffrey Bell, I give them a lot more credit than that.