Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Best Non-DC/Marvel Titles

I'm still fairly new to comics and I've been reading mostly DC stuff, plus a little bit of Marvel. I'd kind of like to branch out though. I've always been a big fan of fantasy stuff, especially if it involves magic, but I'm open to lots of different genres. I've been reading a lot of super-hero stuff though, so I'd prefer to stay away from that and try something a little different. I'm tired of the same old characters. What would you guys recommend for me?

Comments

• Options
    rraacchh2rraacchh2 Posts: 3
    Oops, forgot to say, I especially love badass female characters.
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    edited June 2013
  • Options
    mguy1977mguy1977 Posts: 801
    Saga & Fatale both from Image.

Matthew
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    rraacchh2 said:

I'm still fairly new to comics and I've been reading mostly DC stuff, plus a little bit of Marvel. I'd kind of like to branch out though. I've always been a big fan of fantasy stuff, especially if it involves magic, but I'm open to lots of different genres. I've been reading a lot of super-hero stuff though, so I'd prefer to stay away from that and try something a little different. I'm tired of the same old characters. What would you guys recommend for me?

Well, then... I've got a pick for you:

indyplanet.com/store/index.php?manufacturers_id=12033

• Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    edited June 2013
    Valen the Outcast
    Pathefinder
    Skullkickers - fanatsy action/adventure with comedy.
    rraacchh2 said:

Are you reading Red Sonja? If not, wait until it relaunches with Gail Simone writing.

I know it has a bad rep as being a T & A book, but the Lady Death stuff from Boundless has been decent.

@Chuck_Melville - Just ordered your books.

• Options
    Greg said:

@Chuck_Melville - Just ordered your books.

Much obliged. I'll be much interested in hearing a review -- pro or con. (My skin's pretty thick.)
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    A few to consider from some friends of the CGS show -

Athena Voltaire by Steve Bryant - A treasure hunter/adventurer who fights Nazis, kicks ass, and doesn't run around in a string bikini while doing it...yet STILL looks hot? Yeah, that's Athena...Steve's been teasing an Omnibus for a while but you can still get info on getting the full story here:

http://athenavoltaire.blogspot.com/

Had the great pleasure of meeting Mike Norton at this past Phoenix ComiCon (after talking online back and forth for many years, it was our first face to face meetup). He draws a book with the equally talented Tim Seeley called Revival. More of a horror genre storyline but with a female protagonist who kicks ass as much as possible.

Two great storylines well worth checking out.
  • Options
    EarthGBillyEarthGBilly Posts: 362
    edited June 2013
    Let me second Revival. Horror, yes, but one of my favorites. Awesome story, great art... the kind of book I have to resist reading immediately when my shipment arrives.

And, while it lacks the female lead you mentioned enjoying, I can't recommend Manhattan Projects enough. Definitely not a superhero book, but more along the lines of a science fiction book.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200

And, while it lacks the female lead you mentioned enjoying, I can't recommend Manhattan Projects enough. Definitely not a superhero book, but more along the lines of a science fiction book.

Good call, I love this book.
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    Saga, Saga, Saga. Just awesome.

Some other good indies include Manhattan Projects, Revival and American Vampire is a great read.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited June 2013
    The BOOM comics Planet of the Apes series' are awesome, with some really great storytelling. Highly recommended.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    Lots of great suggestions already, and especially given what you say you like, I want to second (third? fourth?) the recommendations for Saga and Fatale.
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    You could get some of the early trades for the following and see how you like them:

Chew, Bomb Queen, Walking Dead, Manhatten Projects.

And it is cheating since Vertigo is a DC imprint, but Fables and Fairest are very good.
  • Options
    SpiderTazSpiderTaz Posts: 3
    Of the books currently being published, I'd strongly recommend East of West and Saga. Recently finished is Punk Rock Jesus (love!).
    From farther back in the past, there's Y the Last Man.
    While there's some Vertigo stuff from DC listed here, it's non-super-hero, so I figured it'd still be ok.
  • Options
    If you are interested in a horror flavored book, Rachel Rising by Terry Moore is really good.
  • Options
    bats00bats00 Posts: 275
    They aren't new (I think the last one came out in 2005) but Rick Spears and Rob G's series of The Couriers (3 original graphic novels) would seem to fit the bill. Good action/adventure stories and one of the two main characters is female. In fact, I would say she is the more badass one.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Couriers-01-v-1/dp/1932051066
  • Options
    Fables is the greatest thing ever.
    Jeff Parker and Steve Leiber's Underground is full of awesome, no sci fi, fantasy, or superheroes to be seen.
  • Options
    TrevTrev Posts: 310
    edited June 2013
    Saga for sure.

Going back a bit - what about promethea? Might be cool to grab in trade.

And Buffy season 8 if you were into Buffy.
  • Options
    davefaustdavefaust Posts: 24
    Along with the (many times) afore-mentioned Saga, I recommend Matt Kindt's Mind MGMT. It's one of my favorites currently released. Trev's suggestion of Promethea is spot-on as well, though it might spoil you for other other comics for a while.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    You could always look up the trade collections of Alan Moore's Promethea series.

EDIT -- ...which was just suggested in the previous two posts. (So much for my reading comprehension...)
  • Options
    SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445
    I am MADLY in love with The Massive, by Brian Wood...and if you are looking for a comic with a strong female protagonist, his Star Wars series has made Princess Leia into a Badass. I haven't read Star Wars comics since the mid 90's, but this series brought me back!
  • Options
    davefaust said:

I recommend Matt Kindt's Mind MGMT. It's one of my favorites currently released.

Couldn't agree more. This is the book I can't wait to read every month and I'm surprised more people on the board aren't talking about it.
    A pyschic spy mystery that uses every inch of every page to pull you into it's world. I cannot praise this book enough. Please, do yourself the favor, read it!

• Options
    ElsiebubElsiebub Posts: 338
    Great recommendations in this thread. If you like strong female characters, Saga and Fatale are great and among the best comics out now... and going back several years, Promethea is one of the best comics ever.

For non-DC/Marvel, I would just look into the current stable of Image titles. That company has been producing a lot of really good stuff the past few years especially. Besides Saga and Fatale, Revival and Glory (which just finished) have strong female characters, and Manhattan Projects and Prophet are also among my favorite series.
  • Options
    fxmattfxmatt Posts: 78
    I agree with the recommendation for Mind MGMT. I just picked up the first hardcover and was blown away. Very good read.
  • Options
    SonofthorSonofthor Posts: 73
    I think Saga is the leader for the best story out there right now. I also agree with Elsiebub, Image is putting out some of the best work they have in years right now
  • Options
    kfreemankfreeman Posts: 314
    The best non-Marvel/non-DC book out there is Mind MGMT, hands down. The new Dark Horse Star Wars series is very good too.