Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Damian Wayne........ back already. Kinda. Sorta.

Comments

• fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    edited July 2013
  • David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,884
    Is. . . is that a Joker Fish?
  • Certainly a strange presentation of this. Trying to say it's the return of the character, but an out of cannon story line. I think they are trying to figure out what to do with a character that became popular, even though it was created to be killed off.
    edited July 2013
    If nothing else, you can definitely call it a slow news day at the Post.

(Of course, first I would need to call the NY Post "news")
  • RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207
    David_D said:

I did wonder why the article was titled Headless Mayor Found Nude in Sewage ;)
  • PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980
    David_D said:

They have a comic book blog
  • shroud68shroud68 Posts: 457
    I wish they had not killed him anyway. This was a perfect legacy character designed for future generations. A Superior Batman without the brain switch BS. I get that he will be back with his Grandfather's Lazarus Pit in play but Damian Wayne is a character that should be built on over the years not shoved off to an ElseWorlds ghetto.
  • NickNick Posts: 284
    shroud68 said:

I wish they had not killed him anyway. This was a perfect legacy character designed for future generations. A Superior Batman without the brain switch BS. I get that he will be back with his Grandfather's Lazarus Pit in play but Damian Wayne is a character that should be built on over the years not shoved off to an ElseWorlds ghetto.

Morisson has said he wanted him killed from the beginning, that was his plan. DC wanted him kept around, but honored his idea for the story to kill him off.
    Nick said:

shroud68 said:

Morisson has said he wanted him killed from the beginning, that was his plan. DC wanted him kept around, but honored his idea for the story to kill him off.
    I know the story. I just wish DC would have kept him. Honoing Morrison is all well and good but DC picks the weirdest time to honor a creator's original intent.
  • Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    shroud68 said:

Nick said:

shroud68 said:

I know the story. I just wish DC would have kept him. Honoring Morrison is all well and good but DC picks the weirdest time to honor a creator's original intent.
    Why would this be the weirdest time to honor the intent? (As opposed to an inappropriate or incorrect time.) Seems to me to be the exact and correct time to do so. It's certainly better than when they don't honor the creator's intent... as in, say, the Watchmen prequels.

To be honest, I read that statement as actually saying, "Honoring Morrison is all well and good... but I don't want them to."

shroud68 said:

Nick said:

shroud68 said:

I know the story. I just wish DC would have kept him. Honoring Morrison is all well and good but DC picks the weirdest time to honor a creator's original intent.
    Why would this be the weirdest time to honor the intent? (As opposed to an inappropriate or incorrect time.) Seems to me to be the exact and correct time to do so. It's certainly better than when they don't honor the creator's intent... as in, say, the Watchmen prequels.

To be honest, I read that statement as actually saying, "Honoring Morrison is all well and good... but I don't want them to."

Very perceptive. Exactly, I don't want DC to honor killing a character I enjoyed reading. I enjoyed his place in the Batman universe and all the potential he had.

As far as weirdest time, Morrison left the Bat universe now and they killed Damian. Weird was not a great word to use but it still felt unnecessary and I was disappointed. Why remove that piece now when he was such a critical part? .
    shroud68 said:

shroud68 said:

Nick said:

shroud68 said:

Very perceptive. Exactly, I don't want DC to honor killing a character I enjoyed reading. I enjoyed his place in the Batman universe and all the potential he had.

As far as weirdest time, Morrison left the Bat universe now and they killed Damian. Weird was not a great word to use but it still felt unnecessary and I was disappointed. Why remove that piece now when he was such a critical part? .
    Actually, Morrison killed Damian and then left the Bat universe. As noted, it was his game plan all along, that Damian's death was long, long since predetermined as part of the conclusion of the story. From Morrison's POV, Damian, as a game piece, had only a limited and specific part in the game, and was no longer such a critical part.

Ok. I'm acknowledging all that. I wish they ( DC or Morrison ) had not killed him. I dont get the religious fervor that people have to constantly trump people. I'm expressing my opinion. Perhaps its poorly informed or contrary to general consensus but its what I wish. Its an opinion that anywhere else would be a preference but here I have to be corrected on semantics. Point was I wish the Damian series was in continuity not What If.
    shroud68 said:

Ok. I'm acknowledging all that. I wish they ( DC or Morrison ) had not killed him. I dont get the religious fervor that people have to constantly trump people. I'm expressing my opinion. Perhaps its poorly informed or contrary to general consensus but its what I wish. Its an opinion that anywhere else would be a preference but here I have to be corrected on semantics. Point was I wish the Damian series was in continuity not What If.

I get that. I just don't see it as a big deal. Ultimately, somebody's going to bring Damian back from the dead. Morrison played his story out the way he saw it should be done. DC says they'll honor it and keep Damian dead, but I don't really believe that. Wait a few years until the current administration cycles out, and the new folks-in-charge, whoever they be, will bring him back. They brought back Jason, after all. In fact, they brought back a lot of folks who were killed or erased during the Crisis On Infinite Earths who, at the time, they swore up and down they would never bring back.
  • WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314

Wait a few years until the current administration cycles out

I prefer the term "regime". It seems to express contempt more effectively.

>:)
  • MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    I wish he didn't get killed either. His introduction killed my longtime interest in Batman (and DC by extension.) Keeping him around helped keep me away & saving money.

M
    Matt said:

I wish he didn't get killed either. His introduction killed my longtime interest in Batman (and DC by extension.) Keeping him around helped keep me away & saving money.

M

Oh, I've got the New52 doing that for me.
    Matt said:

M

I find the feedback on my opinion to be hilarious.

M
    Matt said:

Matt said:

M

M
    I was the LOL.
    WetRats said:

Matt said:

Matt said:

M

M
    I was the LOL.
    Thanks. I figured you got the joke.

M
    The "Dislikes" are cracking me up!
  • CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    The problem with ordering things in trade is that they are already bringing him back from the grave before I even get to read the issue where he dies.

:-w
  • Wow.. DC's big push to streamline the continuity seems to be working. They went from having one cohesive universe to 40 splinter universes with alternate versions of every character. Nice.
    I don't know that DC's intention with the New52 was to avoid multiple or alternative versions of their characters. Because even if, briefly, that was the case in their comics, at the same time the New52 launched, there were already concurrent, alternate versions of these characters existing in series of movies, video games, cartoons, direct to DVD features, etc. So even the most easily confused hypothetical reader would have, say, other versions of Batman in their head at the same time of month one of the New52.

Besides, I don't think readers actually get confused by multiple versions of the same character. Especially when it comes to characters like a Batman or Superman that even a non-comic reading person gets have had multiple versions across a variety of media in their own lifetime.

In a time when an average moviegoer is familiar with the term "reboot", I don't think confusion from alternate versions of a character are really a concern.
  • David_D said:

I don't know that DC's intention with the New52 was to avoid multiple or alternative versions of their characters. Because even if, briefly, that was the case in their comics, at the same time the New52 launched, there were already concurrent, alternate versions of these characters existing in series of movies, video games, cartoons, direct to DVD features, etc. So even the most easily confused hypothetical reader would have, say, other versions of Batman in their head at the same time of month one of the New52.

Besides, I don't think readers actually get confused by multiple versions of the same character. Especially when it comes to characters like a Batman or Superman that even a non-comic reading person gets have had multiple versions across a variety of media in their own lifetime.

In a time when an average moviegoer is familiar with the term "reboot", I don't think confusion from alternate versions of a character are really a concern.

Well, let me put it this way.

I have been reading comics all of my life, since about 1973. I am well-versed in DC lore, continuity, movies, Elseworlds, etc. all the way up to, oh about the 52/countdown series'. I have not read a lot of the New 52 stuff, and just reading press releases and seeing covers confuses the hell out of me.

Imagine what Joe Shmoe, who just saw Dark Knight Rises, thinks when he finally goes into the comics store. Accessible? I don't think so. It's not even accessible to me. I understand, and even enjoy, the different versions "across a variety of media", but have no clue as to the current relationships of Batman, Nighwing, Damien, Robin, Red Robin, Red Hood, BatGirl, BatWoman, etc.

And, make no mistake, accessibility was the top of the list of objectives at the New52 launch.
    Tonebone said:

David_D said:

I have been reading comics all of my life, since about 1973. I am well-versed in DC lore, continuity, movies, Elseworlds, etc. all the way up to, oh about the 52/countdown series'. I have not read a lot of the New 52 stuff, and just reading press releases and seeing covers confuses the hell out of me.

Imagine what Joe Shmoe, who just saw Dark Knight Rises, thinks when he finally goes into the comics store. Accessible? I don't think so. It's not even accessible to me. I understand, and even enjoy, the different versions "across a variety of media", but have no clue as to the current relationships of Batman, Nighwing, Damien, Robin, Red Robin, Red Hood, BatGirl, BatWoman, etc.

And, make no mistake, accessibility was the top of the list of objectives at the New52 launch.
    I think that's the unicorn of the Big 2; new (never before) readers going to buy comics because of the movies are few & far between. I know a lot of non-comic book readers who loved the Dark Knight Trilogy & Avengers and still have ZERO interest in collecting/reading the source material.

I'm betting the majority of sale increases are from already-readers picking up a different title then never-befores.

M
    edited July 2013
    Tonebone said:

David_D said:

Every reader, new and established, is different of course. And want different amounts of information and different paces. For example, some people, when the New 52 launched, wanted that first five years of continuity (that gutter between when the Justice League first met each other to the present where most of the books were set) detailed out in a timeline in the back of the book. Already committed to dates and events. And that's fair. Some people want that amount of guidebook information. To me, that is limiting. That is reducing your stories to Wikipedia paragraphs before the stories even get told.

Personally, I think the way to find out what the relationships between the characters are in the New 52 is to watch them have those relationships. We will know, say, what Batman thinks about Batwoman by watching them have a scene together. To me, not knowing before I buy the book exactly what I can expect is not a barrier to entry. It is rather fodder for the story that I am about to read. Others may want something different, and that is fair.

But I think whether or not something is accessible to the hypothetical "new reader" is a hard thing for any of us to judge. It depends on the reader. Heck, I jumped cold into Uncanny X-Men in 1986. A little more than halfway into Claremont's 19 year original run. The amount of relationships, plots, subplots (including many dangling ones) was enormous. And this was without the Internet to help me out. And it absolutely hooked me. What I didn't know yet was a big part of what got me on board. I read to find out more. That happens, too.

And the best way for a reader, new or longtime, to know whether the story is bringing them in (call that accessible if you want) is if it works for them when they read it. If the main way you are judging the work is by their press releases and covers, then really your problem is with their marketing people?

Every reader, new and established, is different of course. And want different amounts of information and different paces. For example, some people, when the New 52 launched, wanted that first five years of continuity (that gutter between when the Justice League first met each other to the present where most of the books were set) detailed out in a timeline in the back of the book. Already committed to dates and events. And that's fair. Some people want that amount of guidebook information. To me, that is limiting. That is reducing your stories to Wikipedia paragraphs before the stories even get told.
    I don't think people wanted a detailed timeline sketching out everything. I think we wanted some kind of clue as to what was going on in this new universe. Because right from the start it seemed like the writers didn't even know. Tim Drake was Robin, oh no, wait. He wasn't. Well he's still Tim Drake. Oh, no? Wait, he's not Tim Drake.

Anyway, I think el nuevo fiffty-dos lost me as a returning reader, because it didn't seem like characters were consistent in their own book, let alone crossbooks. I found myself asking, "why is Clark a jerk? Why do Lois and Clark seemingly hate each other? Why is Lex Luthor in prison and for what? Did this happen in Action Comics? Where?"

With the Justice League starting "5 years ago" and then moving into the future I felt that, emotionally, we were all left with "oh... so their friends now? but theirs tension? After 5 years? from what? Is there really tension or am I imagining that?"

Other books I tried to read like Batwoman or Batgirl or Red Hood and the Outlaws, I just didn't get it.
    edited July 2013
    @Planeis I get that, and of course, if you didn't like the work, you didn't like it, and you read it, so that is a fair standpoint to judge it from.

But when the subject at hand is specifically accessibility, that is what this conversation has been mostly about, then are we really talking about returning readers?

I could be thinking of the accessibility question differently, but I took that to mean new readers. That, if what some people are criticizing DC for is that a main objective of the New 52 was to make it accessible, then I thought by that they mean for hypothetical new people coming it, whether via print or digital, to give the work a try.

Do we really imagine that such people would read Teen Titans #1, meet a character called Red Robin, who under the mask is a guy called Tim Drake, and be pushed away by not knowing whether or not he was a protege of Batman? I understand where that was a confusing or frustrating issue to existing or returning readers, but would it really have affected the accessibility for someone who doesn't have a prior investment in one of Batman's mid-90s to mid-00s Robin? Maybe they will just think, okay, he's Red Robin, and find out more about him as the story goes along, just as they will about the rest of the team.

I feel like some of the questions that you wanted an answer to right away might not have been ones that a new reader, who may just take the characters to be who they are as they meet them, would have.

It feels like some of the need for definition and answers to the questions you pose is not as much about the storytelling in the first few issues as it is an impatience for finding out how much the New 52 resembles the old DCU. And that question: What It Is vs. What I Know or Expect From Before doesn't feel to me like an accessibility issue.

It's like the first arc of Justice League. The opening title says "Five Years Ago" and the first scenes are Batman and Green Lantern meeting for the first time and not getting along. 'Is there tension five years from now or are they friends?' Well, probably. The book is called Justice League and "Five years ago" implies there is a Justice League to read about in the "present". But how did they get along? Well, THAT'S the story to be told. You know what I mean? Maybe some readers get interested to read and find out.
    David_D said:

But when the subject at hand is specifically accessibility, that is what this conversation has been mostly about, then are we really talking about returning readers?

It's like the first arc of Justice League. The opening title says "Five Years Ago" and the first scenes are Batman and Green Lantern meeting for the first time and not getting along. 'Is there tension five years from now or are they friends?' Well, probably. The book is called Justice League and "Five years ago" implies there is a Justice League to read about in the "present". But how did they get along? Well, THAT'S the story to be told. You know what I mean? Maybe some readers get interested to read and find out.

Well, when I say "returning" I mean, returning from having read comics in the not too distant past. I wasn't reading them in the 1-3 years before the New 52.