Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

George Perez walks away from DC and Marvel; goes BOOM!

Comments

• Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    One of the more interesting comments from Perez about working for the big 2 these days: "Well, while I have enjoyed considerable professional and personal success with both Marvel and DC, it was becoming all too evident that many of the books being produced by both companies seem to be getting more and more corporate driven. Many of the characters I grew up with were turning into strangers whose adventures were determined by factors that had less and less to do with what made a good comic story and more to do with how these properties can be exploited for other purposes. There's nothing wrong with that, I guess, but not something that I felt was particularly satisfying for me as a storyteller."
  • CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    Great news for BOOM but overall a lot of depressing stuff.

This is like in sports when a great player leaves the team he won big at to play out his career elsewhere (Johnny Unitas, Joe Montana, Ric Flair)

I doubt the big 2 even care. They will wish George the best in his future endeavors and say they are just going in a different direction. If they say
    anything at all.

I think the sales numbers are reflecting George's statements. To break 100,000 you pretty much have to be a #1 issue, an event (gimmick), or Batman. Then the numbers plunge. The 80k to 95k sales number is almost non existent. The amount of DC books at 35k and under is fairly high.

There will always be people who buy no matter what, but maybe people are finally fed up with the corporate comic book???
  • WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314

To break 100,000 you pretty much have to be a #1 issue, an event (gimmick), or Batman.

I can see DC's line a couple years from now:
    Batman League of America
    Legion of Super-Batmen
    All-Star Bat-Western
    Wonder Batwoman
    The Green Batman Corps
    The Flashbat
    Martian Batmanhunter
    O.B.A.C.*
    The Doom Batrol

*One Batman Army Corps
  • Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    WetRats said:

To break 100,000 you pretty much have to be a #1 issue, an event (gimmick), or Batman.

Legion of Super-Batmen

That's a Legion book that, sadly to say, would probably last for a very long time.
  • CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    edited July 2013
    Mr_Cosmic said:

WetRats said:

Legion of Super-Batmen

That's a Legion book that, sadly to say, would probably last for a very long time.
    With characters like Cosmic Batman, Saturn-Batgirl, and Ferro Lad Robin, How could it not last?
  • TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    WetRats said:

Batman League of America
    Legion of Super-Batmen
    All-Star Bat-Western
    Wonder Batwoman
    The Green Batman Corps
    The Flashbat
    Martian Batmanhunter
    O.B.A.C.*
    The Doom Batrol

*One Batman Army Corps
    Will you *PLEASE* stop giving them ideas?!? :)

Great news about Perez, and it'll be great to see what he does with Boom! (Get with David and bring back Sachs and Violens? PLEEEEEZE?!?). Can he still produce stuff at the rate he used to (and will he have to with Boom?) I know awhile back there was talk he'd really had to slow down (he was sketching like a fiend last time I saw him, though!)

Either way, whatever gets some new, good, Perez material out there? I'm for it.
  • shroud68shroud68 Posts: 457
    Perez is a master at the cape and cowl stuff I love. Seeing him to go Boom! makes me more mournful for comic storytelling dying in the vine. I am not a revolutionary and not joining Jamie D' s crusade so Boom!/Perez marriage holds no appeal. Shortsighted and codependent yes, guilty as charged. Perez belongs in the Big Two. I respect the decision but regret the result.
  • SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445
    He's walked away from The Big 2 before (CrossGen comes to mind), and since he has only been sporadic about comics in the last few years, I wonder if it might be a way for him to put out Graphic Novels at a reasonable pace, rather than monthly comics. I also can see why he might want to step off after his run on Superman...everyone but Morrison who has spoken about working on Superman says that the office is a complete mess and has no idea what books they want to put out.
  • nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,748

One of the more interesting comments from Perez about working for the big 2 these days: "Well, while I have enjoyed considerable professional and personal success with both Marvel and DC, it was becoming all too evident that many of the books being produced by both companies seem to be getting more and more corporate driven. Many of the characters I grew up with were turning into strangers whose adventures were determined by factors that had less and less to do with what made a good comic story and more to do with how these properties can be exploited for other purposes. There's nothing wrong with that, I guess, but not something that I felt was particularly satisfying for me as a storyteller."

George said pretty much the same thing a month ago during his Spotlight panel at the Denver Comic Con. When I asked him about going back to creator-owned comics, he was somewhat coy, but he gave the impression something like this was in the works.

George is in a great position where he doesn’t need the money the Big Two can offer. He said at the panel that between the new Teen Titans Go! cartoon, the Deathstroke appearance on Arrow, and everything else of that nature, he’s already made a six-figure income for the year off of royalties without having drawn anything at all. Thanks to being the right talent in the right place at the right time all those years ago, he can go off and do his own thing for a while.

I’m sure he’d go back and work at DC again down the road if things there ever return to something he’s more comfortable with.
  • WetRats said:

Batman League of America
    Legion of Super-Batmen
    All-Star Bat-Western
    Wonder Batwoman
    The Green Batman Corps
    The Flashbat
    Martian Batmanhunter
    O.B.A.C.*
    The Doom Batrol

*One Batman Army Corps
    You post this in (maybe) jest, but in the sixties/seventies, the DC logo itself featured a bat, and they played up the "detective comics" name, because it was the hottest thing going, and their sales, otherwise, were awful.
  • David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,884
    WetRats said:

Batman League of America
    Legion of Super-Batmen
    All-Star Bat-Western
    Wonder Batwoman
    The Green Batman Corps
    The Flashbat
    Martian Batmanhunter
    O.B.A.C.*
    The Doom Batrol

*One Batman Army Corps
    I would read the shit out of O.B.A.C.
  • MarathonMarathon Posts: 308

Mr_Cosmic said:

WetRats said:

Legion of Super-Batmen

With characters like Cosmic Batman, Saturn-Batgirl, and Ferro Lad Robin, How could it not last?
    Ultra Bat, Batter-Eater Lad...
  • JamieDJamieD Posts: 210
    Marathon said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

WetRats said:

Legion of Super-Batmen

Ultra Bat, Batter-Eater Lad...
    Batter-Eater Lad.....needed that this morning =))
  • PeterPeter Posts: 470
    It's Perez. I'll buy it sight unseen as will lots of his followers. His CrossGen stuff was the first CG comics I picked up at that time. So kudos for Boom and (I have to assume) Filip Sablik for making the deal. They'll get my pre-order.
  • FlagwaverFlagwaver Posts: 140
    edited July 2013
    Having dropped both DC and Marvel some time ago, it will be nice to have more Perez artwork. George could draw a book of nothing but stick figures and I would buy it.
  • Flagwaver said:

Having dropped both DC and Marvel some time ago, it will be nice to have more Perez artwork. George could draw a book of nothing but stick figures and I would buy it.

It would be the best damned group shots of stick figures you'd ever see...

• WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314

Flagwaver said:

It would be the best damned group shots of stick figures you'd ever see...
    Outside of a Matt Feazell comic, anyway...