Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Matt Fraction and Joe Mad new Inhumans series

I just learned that Matt Fraction and Joe Madureira have a new Inhumans series due out in 2014. I was a huge Joe Mad fan back in the 90's. I haven't picked up but one of his new comics since coming back to Marvel. I hoping this new book will have less humor and more edgy material. Anyone else a fan of Joe Madureira. I guessing if you've only read comics for the past 10 years or so you might not be familiar with his work.

Comments

• Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    I've been reading comics for over a half-century and I'm not familiar with his work.

I know he was heavily involved with the X-Men for a period, but I wasn't buying any of the X-books at that time -- though I think I might have seen his work during the Age Of Apocalypse, which I did get.
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    I love me some Joe Mad...please don't be a $3.99 book.

• Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    edited July 2013
    Greg said:

Odds are by 2014 the $2.99 price point will be no more.*

* I know, I know, "Never tell me the odds!"
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    Not a fan of Joe Madureira's X-men work... but I haven't seen anything he has done recently. However, I love the Inhumans and I like Fraction, so I'm in for at least a few issues.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Hex said:

Not a fan of Joe Madureira's X-men work... but I haven't seen anything he has done recently. However, I love the Inhumans and I like Fraction, so I'm in for at least a few issues.

I'm pretty sure that Fraction is planting the seeds of this series in FF.
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    edited July 2013
    Greg said:

No need to fret. I'm sure it will be at least $4.99 (you heard it here first, folks!).

"There's a sucker born every minute" ~ Marvel & DC

Zing! :-j
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    An example of Joe Madureira's Inhumans interpretation. I like it.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    I'm game. I try everything that Fraction does (and stick with most of it), and I have enjoyed Madureira's work as well.

Another thing I like about it, from what few descriptions have been made, is that it seems to be about a new group or kind of people rather than just being about a team. The book is "Inhumanity" rather than simply "The Inhumans". I like the potential scope of it.

So, we'll see, but I will be there.
  • Options
    ChrisBeckettChrisBeckett Posts: 535
    Greg said:

On the bright side, Joe Mad will fall off the book due to deadline pressure by issue 3, so you won't have to buy that many issues.

chris

• Options
    HexHex Posts: 944

An example of Joe Madureira's Inhumans interpretation. I like it.

Whoa... that is a lot different from what I remember from his X-men days. This is more my speed.
  • Options
    PeterPeter Posts: 470
    That image above is a variant cover to Infinity 3 by Simone Bianchi. There's info on Joe Mad's Inhumans here: http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=46587
  • Options
    KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    really enjoyed his art on Ultimates 3
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    Please don't make Maximilian the Mad the villain. I enjoyed him siding *with* the Royal family.
  • Options
    SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445
    Joe Mad, eh? It'll prolly be like his run on Avenging Spider-Man, 4 issues and then on to another artist. Which is fine with me. I'd rather get four issues on time than 5 issues spread out over 9 months and then fill-ins.
  • Options
    Joe Mad is beginning to sound like the Marvel equivalent to DC's David Finch.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586

Is that a good thing or a bad thing?
  • Options
    ElsiebubElsiebub Posts: 338
    edited July 2013
    I liked his '90s stuff A LOT. Is stuff from the past few years? Eh.

I think his style is kind of posed and staticky, especially as of late. Even when he does dynamic poses (which he does very well) they seem like freeze-frames from an anime cartoon. It's not a bad thing at all, but I don't think it works will with the sort of decompressed/modern storytelling sensibilities at Marvel nowadays. It worked well in the '90s, when the panel-to-panel flow of the stories was somewhat slower.

For what it's worth, after the muddy coloring debacle of Ultimates 3 #1, I generally liked (not loved) his artwork on that series. I checked out an issue or two of his Avenging Spider-Man "run" with Zeb Wells... and the art felt too posed and overwrought for the story. But I didn't really care for the story either.

I'll probably at least check out his latest work, the Wolverine/Elektra thing, simply because I like those characters. 50/50 chance I'll actually want to buy 3 or 4 $4 issues of it, though. I WANT to like it, because I have such fond memories of his older stuff.

His stuff in the '90s was just magic. Maybe it was a right-style-right-time thing, but I can still look back at his X-Men and Battle Chasers stuff and appreciate it a lot. Those were really fun comics, and it definitely did feel as though his art was pushing the medium forward in a sense, bring a more Manga-influenced style or whatever. I guess he's developed his style for his own reasons, generally adding more lines and detail as he goes, but personally I wish he could go back to the cleaner style he was doing circa '96, and just do everything like that. He's known as a slow artist now, but back when he was doing his older style he was giving us, what, 10 issues of Uncanny X-Men a year. The way he drew all those characters was just classic to me. I think I prefer his Wolverine, Psylocke, Rogue, and Jean Grey to the Jim Lee versions. And his Archangel was just awesome.

I've only seen one image of the Inhumans series. I'm interested.
  • Options

Is that a good thing or a bad thing?
    Potentially a bad thing in terms of actually getting the work in on time or in staying on a title for very long. I recall how Finch's debut on the first series of The Dark Knight, a monthly, resulted in something like four or five issues over the space of a year before the series was rebooted for the New52. Justice League Of America has had a couple of delays since it started, though it seems to be on track again -- but without Finch. He seems to have a better track record as a cover artist.

It strikes me from the conversation here that Madureira was running the same track.