Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The REAL Biggest News Item to Come out of CCI:SD

You can talk about your Superman/Batman and your Avengers 2 all you want. This is the San Diego announcement that got me pumped up!

Isn’t anyone else excited about some actual comics? Especially a Walt Simonson creator-owned comic based on Norse mythology?

Comments

• Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    edited July 2013
    totally agree =D>
    With that many comic movies being done, are there still folks actually reading the comics?
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Oh yeah. I am so in.
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    edited July 2013
    I first heard about this when Walt posted some stuff on his FB page, I am really excited for this.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    Greg said:

I first heard about this when Walt posted some stuff on his FB page, I am really eaxcited for this.

Yeah, I’ve seen those sketches he’s been posting. And for anyone else interested, Walt has a photo album on his official fan page devoted to this project, and you can see a lot of the development work he’s done so far.
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    Nice to see Walt really flexing his chops.

Don't get me wrong... props to Simonson for taking control of his destiny, but I'm a little put off by the lack of creativity in coming up with an original idea for his own work.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    Hex said:

Nice to see Walt really flexing his chops.

Don't get me wrong... props to Simonson for taking control of his destiny, but I'm a little put off by the lack of creativity in coming up with an original idea for his own work.

Well, Walt was deeply interested in Norse mythology long before he got into comics. In fact—and perhaps you're already aware of this—he wrote and drew a Thor-centric comic story while he was still in school at RISD, which he later adapted to fit into his run on Marvel’s Thor comic.

But from what I’ve read, the beginnings of this story actually started with Scott Dunbier who proposed Walt do something involving Norse mythology. Walt then came up with the ideas for this particular story.

So, yes, it’s treading on familiar ground, but I can see why Dunbier, from a financial and marketing standpoint, would want something along these lines. And from Walt’s point of view, what’s he got left to prove? Why shouldn’t he do whatever he wants and have fun doing it? And I'm sure, knowing Walt, that this new take on the characters won’t feel very much like his Marvel Thor. Plus he’s left the door open to doing new Star Slammers material as well—another of his creator-owned projects that dates back to his RISD days.
  • Options
    TrevTrev Posts: 310
    The highlight of the IDW panel was listening to Walt tell the background and story premise of Ragnarok. He is a true storyteller and always a joy to interact with.

If you don't follow his FB page yet, you should really add it. Just great content and fan interaction.

He is a treasure to our hobby.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    David_D said:

Give it me.

What he say.

• Options
    SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445
    TAKE MY MONEY NOW!!!