Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

DC's Trinity War (Spoilers)

I guess I can say these are a borrow for me sight unseen, as I am borrowing them from a friend who has been keeping up with the Justice League titles.

I am curious, especially for those of you who have been reading the titles before they enter into this crossover, what do you think so far?

**ALSO- I would ask, if you aren't reading Trinity War, or aren't reading the New 52 or whatever, that's cool. But you don't actually need to tell us that you aren't reading it, or why you aren't reading it. As you have probably had opportunities to express that in other discussions of DC. This one is specifically a discussion for those that are reading it.

Comments

• Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 549
    I thought it was cool but I haven't been keeping up with JL Dark. I have no real fanboy love for the JL like I do the Avengers or the X-Men so I may miss any double meanings.

Like Dr Light...does his wife have the same name of the female Dr Light in the previous Universe?
  • Options
    I think it is really great so far, and that not enough people are paying attention to it. The weirder characters in the DCU are getting a massive place to shine here. Who hasn't missed people like the Question in the New 52.

Also ever since Justice League Dark got Lemire the series has become something really special and unique.
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003

I think it is really great so far, and that not enough people are paying attention to it. The weirder characters in the DCU are getting a massive place to shine here. Who hasn't missed people like the Question in the New 52.

Having seen his first few appearances thus far, I still miss him. I don't know who this faceless guy is, but he ain't the Question. Just another reason for me to walk away.

I'm already pre-ordered on the Trinity War -- I should be receiving the first couple of chapters today, in fact -- but I'll be stopping dead when it gets to Forever Stupid. Er... I mean, Evil.
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    Some quicj thoughts...

I've been reading JL and JLA both from their first issues. I'm reading JLD in trade so am a but behind on that. But with regards to how the Trinity War story has been building with JL and JLA here are my thoughts.

JL has been very hit or miss from the start. There have been some very good arcs in this book. I'm looking at Throne of Atlantis and the Origin stories in particular. But over the last few months the issues have featured 'nothing' issues. Nothing but passing time while seemingly waiting for Trinity War. The SHAZAM back ups have been consistently great though and have kept the booking ticking at a decent level.

JLA has seemingly been only building to Trinity War. With Waller building the JLA team with the sole purpose of bringing down the JL. I've been really enjoying this.

Combining both these books has lead to a really good event so far both the first two issues have been strong and have pushed the story along bringing all three teams into it. As well as Pandora and a little of the Question and Phantom Stranger. And also the 'secret' villain behind it all.

Overall I'm enjoying Trinity War so far. Hope the standard keeps up. I hope Johns and Lemire do us proud!
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    I'm not buying the books, that's a financial decision more than anything else. I am however interested in the story and so look forward to hearing what you folks have to say about it.
  • Options
    luke52 said:

Some quicj thoughts...

I've been reading JL and JLA both from their first issues. I'm reading JLD in trade so am a but behind on that. But with regards to how the Trinity War story has been building with JL and JLA here are my thoughts.

JL has been very hit or miss from the start. There have been some very good arcs in this book. I'm looking at Throne of Atlantis and the Origin stories in particular. But over the last few months the issues have featured 'nothing' issues. Nothing but passing time while seemingly waiting for Trinity War. The SHAZAM back ups have been consistently great though and have kept the booking ticking at a decent level.

JLA has seemingly been only building to Trinity War. With Waller building the JLA team with the sole purpose of bringing down the JL. I've been really enjoying this.

Combining both these books has lead to a really good event so far both the first two issues have been strong and have pushed the story along bringing all three teams into it. As well as Pandora and a little of the Question and Phantom Stranger. And also the 'secret' villain behind it all.

Overall I'm enjoying Trinity War so far. Hope the standard keeps up. I hope Johns and Lemire do us proud!

Completely agree but also think it's worth noting that as soon as Jim Lee went off of the book there was a real creative BOOM in the title. Throne Of Atlantis was great and also gave us Ivan Reis artwork on the title. Ever since then that book has really been building into something great. In my not so humble opinion.
  • Options
    PaulPaul Posts: 169

luke52 said:

Some quicj thoughts...

Completely agree but also think it's worth noting that as soon as Jim Lee went off of the book there was a real creative BOOM in the title. Throne Of Atlantis was great and also gave us Ivan Reis artwork on the title. Ever since then that book has really been building into something great. In my not so humble opinion.
    It does feel as though the pace picked up a touch when Reis came on. I hadn't really thought of that until you mentioned it, but I think you're right.
  • Options
    Am I the only one who thinks Ivan Reis > Jim Lee?

How have the tie ins been? I'm $1 binning the tie ins...I'll probably end up binding this event but it's not high on my to do list.
  • Options
    Corwin said:

Am I the only one who thinks Ivan Reis > Jim Lee?

You're not the only one.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    I read the first JL issue and enjoyed it. God help me but I *like* this new version of Captain Mar...oh wait now he's officially Shazam, isn't he? Laughed out loud at the "I just flattened Superma-BAM!" bit.
  • Options
    Torchsong said:

I read the first JL issue and enjoyed it. God help me but I *like* this new version of Captain Mar...oh wait now he's officially Shazam, isn't he? Laughed out loud at the "I just flattened Superma-BAM!" bit.

The New Shazam is awesome if you say anything about hit being cheesy, I will cry.
  • Options

Torchsong said:

The New Shazam is awesome if you say anything about hit being cheesy, I will cry.
    I won't say it's cheesy, but I will say it was unappealing.

And I have to say that I was pretty annoyed to pick up Justice League #21 and not have the Justice League anywhere in the issue.
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    The Big Red Cheese was cheesy by nature and design. He was just a fun super hero.
    The new version is ok. I will however be glad when making characters "darker" becomes boring to consumers so that when someone makes a goofy fun version of a character it will be considered innovative and sell well.
  • Options

The Big Red Cheese was cheesy by nature and design. He was just a fun super hero.
    The new version is ok. I will however be glad when making characters "darker" becomes boring to consumers so that when someone makes a goofy fun version of a character it will be considered innovative and sell well.

When the crippled orphan boy was given the power in JL#21, it really showed the classic Shazam idea being utilized in an ingenious way. This is such a bright moment amidst the chaos in the New 52 that brought a tear to my eye.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    edited July 2013

When the crippled orphan boy was given the power in JL#21, it really showed the classic Shazam idea being utilized in an ingenious way. This is such a bright moment amidst the chaos in the New 52 that brought a tear to my eye.

:x ^:)^ :\"> \m/ :)

Pretty much what I dug...Freddy's free of being the "Junior-grade kid with Elvis' hair". I like the idea that each of them got ONE aspect of the power (or SOME power at any rate) like the guy talking with machines or the young girl with super-speed. So many things that can spring from this...does Shazam have the ability to bestow power on ANYone, or just this particular batch of people close to him?

I'm withholding judgement, but I like what I've seen so far.
  • Options
    Torchsong said:

:x ^:)^ :\"> \m/ :)

Pretty much what I dug...Freddy's free of being the "Junior-grade kid with Elvis' hair". I like the idea that each of them got ONE aspect of the power (or SOME power at any rate) like the guy talking with machines or the young girl with super-speed. So many things that can spring from this...does Shazam have the ability to bestow power on ANYone, or just this particular batch of people close to him?

I'm withholding judgement, but I like what I've seen so far.
    WHAT DOES IT TAKE TO PLEASE YOU PEOPLE?
  • Options

WHAT DOES IT TAKE TO PLEASE YOU PEOPLE?

The Jerry Ordway version of the Marvels during the 90's pleased me very much.
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    edited August 2013

If you're speaking of Fawcett Comics Cap, then I have to disagree. Cap was no more or less cheesy then any other golden age character. And, less so then much of what was produced in the Silver Age.
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    rebis said:

If you're speaking of Fawcett Comics Cap, then I have to disagree. Cap was no more or less cheesy then any other golden age character. And, less so then much of what was produced in the Silver Age.
    The bronze age DC version was cheese-ridiculous. The version that started after Crisis was cheesy.

Just because cheese was the norm does not invalidate my original statement.
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820

rebis said:

The bronze age DC version was cheese-ridiculous. The version that started after Crisis was cheesy.

Just wanted some clarification. And, I agree. DC's attempts to bring CM back have been cheesier then an all you can eat dinner at the Melting Pot.
  • Options
    I was actually looking forward to this as I enjoy Justice League Dark and have been wondering where the hell The Question was.

After reading the prelude, I'm not looking forward to this since they ruined The Question for me. It will probably be awkward reading the JLD books but not reading the main storyline much like it was reading JLD and not reading the Vampire crossover mini.
  • Options
    rebis said:

rebis said:

Just wanted some clarification. And, I agree. DC's attempts to bring CM back have been cheesier then an all you can eat dinner at the Melting Pot.
    Quoting the Melting Pot in a conversation like this makes Rebis a winner. That is some delicious food!
  • Options
    I'm far from an expert but I think it can be anyone but it also lessens his own power.