Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

"Civilians" with old comics.

Last week a friend called me & said she had a couple old comics for me to look at.

I didn't even ask any details, because every time this happens, they're worthless junk.

When she showed up with a couple of CGC slabs, my interest peaked a bit, but we all know theres a lot of worthless junk in slabs.

Then she handed them to me.

Brave & Bold #28 graded 2.5

JLA #2 graded 5.0

"Yeah," I said, "These might be worth something."

Comments

• Options
    hmm check a price guide maybe? Give those slabs to more important books?
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314

More important than the first appearance of the JLA?

• Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    edited August 2013
    WetRats said:

Pfftt! They're just characters. The real question is were the creators worth the slab?

Bridging from the other thread, I'm having a hard time reconciling the "characters suck" statement with slabbing anything.
  • Options
    Point I was trying to make was that these turned out to be surprisingly valuable books.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    So I looked on the Heritage Auction site, and a B&tB #28 slabbed and graded at 2.5 sold for $776.75 two years ago. I couldn’t find any recent JLA #2 5.0 slabbed copies, but a 6.5 sold for $215.88 earlier this year.

Personally, I find the whole slabbing thing ridiculous, and a bit of a con game. But then, I worked at a comic shop, and I know how to grade a comic and don’t have to trust someone else’s opinion. Either way, though, I’d advise her to hang on to those two until the movie comes out, or perhaps just before the movie is released.
  • Options
    Good advice.

Thanks!
  • Options
    TrevTrev Posts: 310
    Why would someone only have 2 books and have those in slabs but not know what they were?? Especially those two. You have to drop coin on those.

Makes me think they are hot. Check the SNs at http://www.stolencomic.com/

• Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,882
    edited August 2013
    I think @WetRats said this was a friend of his, not a stranger. Maybe we shouldn't jump to the idea that she stole them just because she didn't have a sense of their value? I mean, I'm sure he runs with a bad crowd. But, still.

@Trev you would be an amusing host to watch on Antiques Roadshow-- "Well, the good news this shoe horn dates all the way back to the Civil War! So, okay, little lady, where were YOU in 1865, eh? Why don't you go ahead and sit down. We're going to be here for awhile. You want a soda from the machine? You killed him. You killed him. No don't answer yet. . . Look you needed the money, right?. . ." ;)
  • Options
    The CGC numbers are sequential. A very good sign that MY FRIEND'S FORMER TENANT did not steal them.
  • Options
    hauberk said:

WetRats said:

Pfftt! They're just characters. The real question is were the creators worth the slab?

Bridging from the other thread, I'm having a hard time reconciling the "characters suck" statement with slabbing anything.
    Judging me off of forum post that I made where I was legitimately trying to help people speaks volumes of your character.

Please read the whole post next time and place your concerns in the other forum.
  • Options
    WebheadWebhead Posts: 458
    edited August 2013
    WetRats said:

Last week a friend called me & said she had a couple old comics for me to look at.

I didn't even ask any details, because every time this happens, they're worthless junk.

When she showed up with a couple of CGC slabs, my interest peaked a bit, but we all know theres a lot of worthless junk in slabs.

JLA #2 graded 5.0

Why is it when this happens to me they hand me a pile of old 90's comics.
  • Options
    edited August 2013

hauberk said:

WetRats said:

Judging me off of forum post that I made where I was legitimately trying to help people speaks volumes of your character.

Please read the whole post next time and place your concerns in the other forum.
    I wasn't judging you. I was observing what I consider to be an internal inconsistency in your logic and a rush to judgment on the books that had been slabbed. By my way of thinking slabbing is pretty antithetical to following creators that one enjoys and is instead the ultimate in the collector mentality (must have and lock away to keep, my precious!)

Now that you've gotten defensive about it, I might ask exactly how you were trying to help anyone by dismissing the books in question as unimportant? Or was the help from the other thread? Now I'm confused.

ETA: That's not my dislike.
  • Options
    Webhead said:

WetRats said:

JLA #2 graded 5.0

Exactly!

That's what always happens.

Except this time. :D
  • Options
    WetRats said:

Webhead said:

WetRats said:

JLA #2 graded 5.0

Exactly!

That's what always happens.

Except this time. :D
    Heh. Last time that this happened to me it was a drive-by drop off of books that a friend no longer wanted to store - 13 packing boxes full of books from 1968-1978 - Lots of old Archie and Richie Rich but a nice selection of DC books as well. I've unloaded a bunch but filled in some holes and set aside some stuff to read for myself before offering up for trade or $. Nice size stack of House of Mystery and House of Secrets - never read any of the old DC horror books (aside for some Weird War Tales), looking forward to giving them a spin). TIme before that, it was a single moving box, but was full of a similar vintage Marvel
  • Options
    So where do civies go with comics? I am finding more and more the real geeks lie more than the stores just to get the books. I am going slow, joining forums like here, and using ebay or cgc to get basic values first. I made an excell spreadsheet to catalog them but the first to see the list offered me $0.40 each. Some of these are real nice never read and list between $25 and $150. I do not get the ratings and probably will not pay $20-50 each for a rating. Seeing these are all bagged and tagged by another civilian even a fair rating is useless.

So what say you? fair or not for a civilian to even try to approach the regulars with known valued comics?
  • Options
    grumpyjoe said:

So where do civies go with comics? I am finding more and more the real geeks lie more than the stores just to get the books. I am going slow, joining forums like here, and using ebay or cgc to get basic values first. I made an excell spreadsheet to catalog them but the first to see the list offered me $0.40 each. Some of these are real nice never read and list between $25 and $150. I do not get the ratings and probably will not pay $20-50 each for a rating. Seeing these are all bagged and tagged by another civilian even a fair rating is useless.

So what say you? fair or not for a civilian to even try to approach the regulars with known valued comics?

Anyone who rips off a friend should be crotchpunched daily.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

grumpyjoe said:

However, it should also be said that a book is only worth anything if A) the owner is willing to sell and B) there's a buyer willing to pay.

The shop that I used to work at typically offered 30% of guide for books that we thought we could turn around. We also didn't grade the books coming in door. We also sold for 10-20% off of guide when we were pricing books. If someone came in with a bag of books that they were insistent on selling, that we weren't interested in, we might have offered up to $0.25/book.

My current LCS will buy anything that you bring him, but he's going to start at $0.10 per book.

• Options
    TrevTrev Posts: 310
    David_D said:

I think @WetRats said this was a friend of his, not a stranger. Maybe we shouldn't jump to the idea that she stole them just because she didn't have a sense of their value? I mean, I'm sure he runs with a bad crowd. But, still.

@Trev you would be an amusing host to watch on Antiques Roadshow-- "Well, the good news this shoe horn dates all the way back to the Civil War! So, okay, little lady, where were YOU in 1865, eh? Why don't you go ahead and sit down. We're going to be here for awhile. You want a soda from the machine? You killed him. You killed him. No don't answer yet. . . Look you needed the money, right?. . ." ;)

I don't see how being wary is a crime. It wasn't a judgment of his friend -- it sounds like maybe someone paid them off with comics. "a former tenant"

And just because the SN are sequential doesn't mean they are not hot -- it just means they are probably from the same collection. It doesn't hurt to put the word out just in case.

If someone snagged your valuable CGC books, wouldn't you want them back? Even if they passed to someone reputable through someone who they trusted who got them from a former tenant?

Comics are super liquid right now and not easily traceable thanks to the various auction houses.

Could all be legit too, again not judging, but to dismiss the possibility out of hand on books that valuable?

I can point you to a million stories about collections being walked around that people 'inherited'. usually from 'their dead uncle'.

Don't make snide judgments because I am cautious. You and I have both been around here long enough that I would think you'd know me better.

• Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,882
    edited August 2013
    @Trev As far as whether my joke was a joke or a "snide judgment", well, I would hope you would know ME better than that. Sorry if it came off harsher than it was intended.

But for what it is worth, I do stand by my original point- before we got more of the story, all we heard was that this was a friend of Stewart's asking him about these books. Wariness is fine, but I think jumping to betting his friend owns stolen books felt a little judgmental in a story about a friend rather than a stranger. Especially as we hadn't heard yet where the books came from. That was my point. Given that it is a friend, the idea that the friend herself might not know they were stolen, or that is sometimes the case with the way these books circulate, is always something that you could have suggested at the same time you suggested they were hot books. As, again, we were talking about someone's friend. That's all I meant.

• Options
    As it happens, I pointed out to my friend that the serial numbers would make it possible to determine if they were hot.
  • Options
    So if I am off point just let me know. A simple question how does one sell books if they are not in the crowd? No crotch punching no stealing just some good books. I appreciate that to sell one must want them to buy but short of hanging out at auctions and swap meets I only see posts like here announcing the opportunity. Is that wrong? I will probably be using the swap meet in City of Industry to sell them as I do have a resale License and it seems reasonable crowds attend.

To be honest I am seeing more collectibles going up for sale daily from cards to comics and even some Red Skeleton Stiens. I keep telling the owners the hardest part is finding buyers interested. I am yet to see anything sealed by the older crowds or even valued by any rating companies.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    grumpyjoe said:

So if I am off point just let me know. A simple question how does one sell books if they are not in the crowd? No crotch punching no stealing just some good books. I appreciate that to sell one must want them to buy but short of hanging out at auctions and swap meets I only see posts like here announcing the opportunity. Is that wrong? I will probably be using the swap meet in City of Industry to sell them as I do have a resale License and it seems reasonable crowds attend.

To be honest I am seeing more collectibles going up for sale daily from cards to comics and even some Red Skeleton Stiens. I keep telling the owners the hardest part is finding buyers interested. I am yet to see anything sealed by the older crowds or even valued by any rating companies.

Learning how to properly grade a comic isn’t that difficult. CGC (the main con art—I mean slabbers) has a message board, and people buy and sell there all the time. I’m sure they have pointers on learning how to grade there as well, as well as what is hot (hint, it’s most likely going to be something from the Silver Age).

The fact is, unless you have comics from the ’70s or earlier—with some exceptions obviously—you shouldn’t expect to get much money selling back issues. Your best bet is to sell any key issues individually, and sell the rest in lots. Get an Overstreet Guide to see what’s worth making a real effort to sell, and dump the rest cheap.
  • Options
    kfreemankfreeman Posts: 314
    One nice thing about CGC, especially if you are selling books, is that they provide a "reliable standard" that buyers can feel confident in. If you have no intention of selling anything, then slabbing books probably isn't a big deal.
  • Options
    Alas, it was not my friend's copy of B&B 28 that just sold for $120,000.

Big difference between a 2.5 and a 9.2.
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    It's all relative. In a world where a balloon dog sculpture goes for $58.4M
    a mere $120,000 for a comic is a bargain.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    WetRats said:

grumpyjoe said:

Unless they're into that sort of thing.
  • Options

Your best bet is to sell any key issues individually, and sell the rest in lots. .

I have to whole hearted disagree with this approach. You will get the same amount of money for the keys singularly, but you complete devalue the commons. See my thread about selling my collection. I recommend making lots and try to have a key within the lots. Unless its a major key - such as a #1 or first appearance of a major character, where the cost of the key is quite high. ie: You don't want to create a lot of ASM #1-5. The cost would be too great for most buyers/collectors. But having ASM #50 in a lot with surrounding common issues makes good sense. People will pay for the commons to obtain the key. But that's just my experience selling my extensive Marvel Silver Age collection.
    :)
  • Options
    phansford said:

Your best bet is to sell any key issues individually, and sell the rest in lots. .

I have to whole hearted disagree with this approach. You will get the same amount of money for the keys singularly, but you complete devalue the commons. See my thread about selling my collection. I recommend making lots and try to have a key within the lots. Unless its a major key - such as a #1 or first appearance of a major character, where the cost of the key is quite high. ie: You don't want to create a lot of ASM #1-5. The cost would be too great for most buyers/collectors. But having ASM #50 in a lot with surrounding common issues makes good sense. People will pay for the commons to obtain the key. But that's just my experience selling my extensive Marvel Silver Age collection.
    :)
    Well, yeah, if you’re selling the first 100 issues of Amazing Spider-Man, where every issue has a relatively high level of desirability, then your approach is probably the best way to go. But I did say, “unless you have comics from the ’70s or earlier.” I'd wager that most of the people on this board have collections consisting of books from the ’80s on up. Buying ASM #50-60 to get issue #50 is one thing, but buying ASM #285-298 to get #298 is quite another. You're more likely to find people trying to fill runs in bulk and/or who are willing to buy duplicates (which can more easily be resold) of the Silver Age stuff than you are of the more current stuff.