Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Bryan Cranston is Lex Luthor

Apparently Bryan Cranston has signed on for six movies total to star as Lex Luthor. The story is over at the Wizard World website. I'm posting this right now from my phone so I can't link to the website. My thoughts on this are that Lex Luthor / Bryan Cranston will be the agent Coulson / Nick Fury to the DC entertainment movie universe. And maybe, possibly it could lead to a Justice League of America vs the secret society of supervillains movie. Now that may be a stretch but I think it's highly likely and very very awesome. Thoughts?

Comments

• ...Malcom's dad!?
  • David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,884
    Okay.

NOW I'm excited.

I mean, who am I kidding, I was going to see the movie no matter what. And I didn't mind Affleck, I just didn't find him as a choice added excitement.

THIS does.
  • CageNarleighCageNarleigh Posts: 729
    edited August 2013
    I just get all giggly and excited thinking about Lex Luthor walking up to a super villain in one of the other DC characters movies and going, "I'm putting a team together..."

And I jump to the Secret Society of Supervillains thought because, let's face it, there's not going to be six Superman movies. Which means Lex is going to have to show up in other movies... And the most likely reason he would......? :-)
  • MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    Not Tim Whatley! I'd have prefer Mark Strong. He was grossly underused in the Green Lantern debacle and at some point, I want to see Batman & Lex fight each other. I think Cranston will seem too old.

I guess when you're on "the number 1 TV show," they want you in everything!

Sorry Henry, looks like you'll be vastly overshadowed in "your" sequel.

M
  • DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    Is this legit? I'm hearing it's only a rumor. I would love the choice, but for now I will look at this with a grain of salt
  • RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207

...Malcom's dad!?

Hey, it could be worse, they could have gotten the guy who voiced Isamu Alva Dyson in Macross Plus.

;)
  • batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    A decent choice I trust but I wouldve liked to have seen him as Jim Gordon instead. I too wouldve much preferred Mark Strong. Ive always liked Cranston but think hes too likable and seems too old for Luthor.
    I think Mark Strong is a fantastic actor, but he reads more as street smart than brainy to me. Which is not to say he reads as unintelligent, he doesn't, he just reads as a different kind of intelligence than I think of when I think of Luthor.

Whereas Cranston not only reads as the right kind of intelligence to me, he is also very funny. And I think a Luthor is helped by that.
  • ...Malcom's dad!?

TIM WHATLEY

• Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    I'm going to go out on a limb and say Batman is investigating Luthor. Superman knows Luthor is behind something. Batman thinks Superman is on Luthor's side. Superman thinks Batman is on Luthor's side. FIGHT!!! Oh no! Misunderstanding! There's Luthor! Get him!

...Malcom's dad!?

TIM WHATLEY

Be careful with this joke. I made it earlier & got 2 dislikes!

Suddenly I'm an anti-dentite bastard!!

M
  • kiwijasekiwijase Posts: 451
    Mr_Cosmic said:

I'm going to go out on a limb and say Batman is investigating Luthor. Superman knows Luthor is behind something. Batman thinks Superman is on Luthor's side. Superman thinks Batman is on Luthor's side. FIGHT!!! Oh no! Misunderstanding! There's Luthor! Get him!

Spoilers!

• avsavs Posts: 16

...Malcom's dad!?

Bill Cosby??!!

• WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314

...Malcom's dad!?

Earl Little?

• KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    edited August 2013
    Matt said:

...Malcom's dad!?

TIM WHATLEY

M
    I can't speak for the other one but you got one dislike for saying Cranston would be too old and he was cast because Breaking Bad is the #1 show.

I have no clue who Tim Whatley is, but I think Cranston is a perfect choice.

Edit: Due to a google search I need to point out I have never watched a full episode of Seinfeld and don't find it particularly funny.

• TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Walter White survives the finale of Breaking Bad and uses the drug money to fund his re-emergence as - Lex Luthor.

I love Cranston...bring this on!
    edited August 2013
    Krescan said:

Matt said:

...Malcom's dad!?

TIM WHATLEY

M
    I can't speak for the other one but you got one dislike for saying Cranston would be too old and he was cast because Breaking Bad is the #1 show.

I have no clue who Tim Whatley is, but I think Cranston is a perfect choice.

Edit: Due to a google search I need to point out I have never watched a full episode of Seinfeld and don't find it particularly funny.

Oh, okay. I figured it was a dislike for the joke.

So then you disagree with my opinion that he's too old & a "hot celebrity" because of all the press he's getting from the end of a highly regarded series. You don't think his bald appearance in Breaking Bad would have its coat-tails ridden for "Superman's sequel?"

I just see him as the pre-clone Luthor. I'd like to see someone that doesn't come off as being a daddy reprimanding Superman, but as a rival. Cranston doesn't do that for me. Plus, he it would seem similar to his role in Total Recall.

I feel like WB is going out of its way to push Cavill's Superman aside for this movie.

M
    Matt said:

So then you disagree with my opinion that he's too old & a "hot celebrity" because of all the press he's getting from the end of a highly regarded series. You don't think his bald appearance in Breaking Bad would have its coat-tails ridden for "Superman's sequel?"

Kind of like Patrick Stewart's bald appearance in Star Trek had its coattails ridden for X-Men?
  • KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    I don't think anyone is going to be too worried about Total Recall

I don't think he's too old I think that Luthor should be older than Superman. I like Luthor in the idea that he's a few strategic moves from becoming President and you couldn't have someone Clark's age doing that. If he's going to match wits with the world's greatest detective it helps if he's older because if he's the same age as everyone then that makes "world's greatest" not so great.

I don't think his bald appearance in Breaking Bad hurt him in landing the role. It showed that he was willing to shave his head for a role, and sure there's plenty of other actors that would have too but at least we know he has a good look bald and doesn't have a Gorbachev birthmark or baby devil horns or something.

He's a very good actor that will bring substance to the character. I also think it's a highly regarded series due much in part to the fact that Cranston plays the part so well.
    WetRats said:

Matt said:

Kind of like Patrick Stewart's bald appearance in Star Trek had its coattails ridden for X-Men?
    Wasn't Stewart always bald? And didn't TNG end several years before X-Men? Was the ending of TNG getting 1/2 the attention from the general public Breaking Bad is?

M
    edited August 2013
    Matt said:

Wasn't Stewart always bald? And didn't TNG end several years before X-Men? Was the ending of TNG getting 1/2 the attention from the general public Breaking Bad is?

Sir Patrick was bald before bald was cool. (He lost his hair at 18, even earlier than me!)

If you'd asked random people to name a bald actor they'd have said "That Star Trek guy."

And most X-Men artists had started drawing Professor X as Patrick Stewart long before the movie was cast.

Bryan Cranston is on top of the Luthor List because he was freaking brilliant in Breaking Bad.

He's proved he has the chops to play Luthor as a serious villain, rather than a real estate huckster assclown.

With the right script, he will own this movie.

Already knowing he looks good bald is just gravy.
    @Matt I don't feel bad for Cavill: having great actors around you can bump up your game. Give you more to work off of. Raise the bar on the whole project. There is being pushed aside, but there is also being given excellent people to collaborate with.

Should we have felt bad for a young Christopher Reeve having Gene Hackman to work with? Did Michael Keaton suffer for having his Batman go up against Jack Nicholson?
    edited August 2013
    David_D said:

@Matt I don't feel bad for Cavill: having great actors around you can bump up your game. Give you more to work off of. Raise the bar on the whole project. There is being pushed aside, but there is also being given excellent people to collaborate with.

Should we have felt bad for a young Christopher Reeve having Gene Hackman to work with? Did Michael Keaton suffer for having his Batman go up against Jack Nicholson?

My concern would be less if this was a side movie during his trilogy or at the end. I think once Batman gets added to the cast, it becomes HIS movie. Casting a mega-superstar to play the role, along with another mega-star to play the villain (which isn't even a Batman villain), reminds me of how Damien was treated once Batman returned. They had him Robin to Dick's Batman rather then his father. It was a subtle way to keep him Robin, keep him paired with a Batman, keep the son for Batman, BUT still have Batman without his son as he was globetrotting for his corporation.

It's supposed to be Cavill's Superman's sequel, but have this strong feeling he will be overshadowed by Batman and Luthor (since big names are now casted), rather then build on what was presented in the first movie. It's like saying "yeah, Man of Steel did well, but it didn't do Batman well. Let's add Bats, Luthor, cast them both as big name stars, THEN we'll get that next $billion dollar movie."

M
  • TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    In a reversal of the "Batman sells Batman" argument from another thread - Superman does NOT sell Superman - not for me at any rate.

Superman's villains sell Superman.

Lex Luthor. Brainiac. Doomsday. Zod. Mongul. Darkseid. Parasite.

I don't know that I've ever picked up a Superman book solely because it's Superman. It's always been a case of who Superman is going up against this time around that gets me to pick the issue and take it to the counter.

It isn't that he's not a symbol, or shouldn't have a back or side-story (the romance with Wondy/Lois/whoever), but to me he's never been as interesting as the people he comes up against and eventually triumphs over.

Henry Tudor coming up against Walter White? Yeah, I'm in. :)
    David_D said:

We all* suffered from Hackman & Nicholson. ;)

*OK I suffered. But the other is funnier.
    Matt said:

It's supposed to be Cavill's Superman's sequel, but have this strong feeling he will be overshadowed by Batman and Luthor (since big names are now casted), rather then build on what was presented in the first movie. It's like saying "yeah, Man of Steel did well, but it didn't do Batman well. Let's add Bats, Luthor, cast them both as big name stars, THEN we'll get that next $billion dollar movie."

M

That's just the current state of the movie business.

The studios has so many flops disappointments this summer, they're gonna make very conservative choices for a while.
  • Torchsong said:

Superman's villains sell Superman.

Lex Luthor. Brainiac. Doomsday. Zod. Mongul. Darkseid. Parasite.

Mxyzptlk. Terra-Man. Toyman. Prankster. Puzzler. Wolfram. Professor Killgrave.
  • chriswchrisw Posts: 792
    Strong would have been fine, but Cranston generates more excitement. And even though I thought Strong was one of the best parts of Green Lantern, I think they were always going to be hesitant to cast him as another villain in a DC franchise in light of how poorly GL did.

As long as his scheme doesn't involve real estate again, I'm fine with the choice.
    chrisw said:

As long as his scheme doesn't involve real estate again, I'm fine with the choice.

Think Dick Cheney/Halliburton.