Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Online Comics Scans

Hey, everyone! Over in another thread, I proposed a thread where you could list sites where you could find images and scans of those comics you just can't find anywhere else... The comic in question over there was the OUTLAND movie comic adaptation by Jim Steranko. You can find it here:

forcesofgeek.com/2013/06/read-jim-sterankos-outland-adaptation.html

And... to get the ball rolling, I'll link to another site, which contains a zillion pages of stories by the great John Stanley, creator of the Little Lulu comics from Dell... I know, I know... Little Lulu? Give it a try...they are awesome, and frequently make me laugh out loud.

stanleystories.blogspot.com/

Ok... now it's your turn... let the linking begin!

Comments

• Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    The Digital Comics Museum.

Great place for Public Domain Golden Age comics!
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    rebis said:

The Digital Comics Museum.

Great place for Public Domain Golden Age comics!

Quoted for truth! I’ve spent a lot of time on that site.
  • Options
    SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445
    edited August 2013
    I think that the first two sites on this thread are copyright dubious...we should stick to sites we KNOW are in line with copyright laws.
  • Options

I think that the first two sites on this thread are copyright dubious...we should stick to sites we KNOW are in line with copyright laws.

I agree. The Outland adaptation is definitely still under copyright. The Little Lulu material I’m uncertain about. The character is still under copyright, but I do not know if the copyrights for the comic stories themselves were renewed or not. My guess is that they probably were.

• Options
    SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445
    Yep! The Lulu stuff is still protected, and Dark Horse recently finished up a GREAT job of putting it all back into print.
  • Options

Yep! The Lulu stuff is still protected, and Dark Horse recently finished up a GREAT job of putting it all back into print.

Yeah, they look great. I haven’t been impressed by a lot of their archives, but they did a good job with that series. I haven’t bought any of them yet (too much to read, and not enough money), but I have a bunch of ’50s Little Lulu and Tubby comics I got cheap from an estate sale—good stuff.
  • Options

I would think Dark Horse, and whoever owns the actual copyright, would be well aware of this site. It has been around for many years, and probably serves to give exposure to the properties.

Is it illegal to view the sites? To link to them? Unethical? Immoral? You can view clips, full episodes, sometimes even full movies on You Tube. Does anyone hesitate? We're talking about something that will NEVER be reprinted, unless Steranko dies. I owned it as a kid, now I've read it again.
  • Options
    Tonebone said:

Is it illegal to view the sites? To link to them? Unethical? Immoral? You can view clips, full episodes, sometimes even full movies on You Tube. Does anyone hesitate? We're talking about something that will NEVER be reprinted, unless Steranko dies. I owned it as a kid, now I've read it again.
    I do hesitate. I don't use YouTube for pretty much this very reason. I like to respect others' copyrights if only because I'd like for others to respect my own. The fact that it involves something that's hard to find and likely won't see print until after the copyright owner dies -- long, long after he dies, in fact -- has no bearing on those copyrights and is no license to disregard them.
  • Options
    What Chuck said.
  • Options
    By the way, for those who don’t read The Jack Kirby Collector, Steranko wasn’t the first choice to draw the Outland adaptation (which actually is under the copyright ownership of the film studio, not Steranko). John Workman, the editor of the book, originally wanted Kirby to draw it. Unfortunately, Kirby’s skills had greatly diminished by that time, so John had the idea of Kirby doing layouts and Steranko doing finishes. Steranko didn’t want to work over someone else’s layouts—not even Kirby’s—and after some discussion with the movie people, he was given the job of drawing and writing the book.
  • Options
    Tonebone said:

I would think Dark Horse, and whoever owns the actual copyright, would be well aware of this site. It has been around for many years, and probably serves to give exposure to the properties.

It's a copyright violation for them to post it, and I do believe it's unethical. I DO hesitate, and when there is a "rare" book, I do what I have always done: Try to find the back issue. I wanted to read "In The Days Of The Mob" by Kirby for YEARS, and finally paid a decent price about two months before DC announced the deluxe reprint of it. That's just how it goes.

And, the copyright holder can do what they want with the material they own, even if it is to not make it available. I want to watch Jerry Lewis's "The Day The Clown Cried", but he owns it and keeps it locked up in his house. That's the "right" in copyright.

And since this board is connected to CGS, and they work with and interview people in the comics industry, it's not a good idea to promote sites that are violating copyright. In the past, the board has been fairly vigilant about that. We don't talk about comic scans, post links to comic torrents or otherwise go into the legally dubious area of scanned comics on the board.

Again, your mileage may vary, but I say we err on the side of caution.
  • Options
    Out of respect for the fact that CGS hosts this site, I agree that an impeccable observance of legal copyright is in order. But to me personally there has always been a difference between (just as an example), recording copies of Springsteen's studio albums to get out of paying for them, and buying bootleg live recordings or out of print albums. They are both illegal, but if there is no legal channel for me to acquire something, I have no issue whatsoever with obtaining it in bootleg form. If a something is out of print and I have no opportunity to buy a copy that will yield proper royalties, I do what I must.
  • Options
    West and Ward Batman is a great example of this. When the powers that be figure out who gets what and how much and finally release the series, I'll happily purchase numerous copies. Until then, I'm watching bootlegs.
  • Options
    rebis said:

West and Ward Batman is a great example of this. When the powers that be figure out who gets what and how much and finally release the series, I'll happily purchase numerous copies. Until then, I'm watching bootlegs.

Or you could watch it on METV every Saturday night. Check your cable listings.
  • Options

rebis said:

Or you could watch it on METV every Saturday night. Check your cable listings.
    HA!
    Well played, sir.