Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Marvel Now Spoiler filled question.

I subscribe to the unlimited Marvel service on my Ipad so I am reading books from Last March as there is a delay in when they are released. I am finding that there are really a lot of big "event" type plots going on in many of the books particullary the Avengers Books. I just finished Savage Wolverine 1 and decided I would not continue reading that book but I did read the plot summary of the first Ark online and I am wondering if the reveal of the planet eater in that storyline is the cause of the world ending events playing out in the avengers titles?

Comments

• Options
    I haven't read that Savage Wolverine arc, but my guess is that the MAJOR EARTH-SHATTERING EVENT in that book does not really play into the MAJOR EARTH-SHATTERING EVENTS happening in the many other books.

Overall, I'm loving Marvel Now, but I do feel like there have been about seven different HUUUUUGE "event" type plots going on, as you said.

I do think that Hickman's done a very good job of tying all of HIS major event-plots together in Infinity. But I also had to laugh today while reading Infinity #3, because there's a single page in which the reader is told that, yeah, while all this is going on, suddenly the Illuminati have to go back and try to prevent another parallel Earth from crashing through our reality. I loved that first arc of Hickman's New Avengers, but, yeah, sometimes I have to sort of pull back and wonder what the point was of NOT finishing that story BEFORE Infinity started.

With Uncanny Avengers, too, what's going on there is just MAJOR MAJOR stuff. I remember a few years ago when Remender said that the Dark Angel Saga was going to contain MAJOR events for the rest of the Marvel universe . . . but very little came of that. So it's almost like Remender is taking it upon himself to deal with what X-Force did by having the unintended consequences come back to haunt certain heroes in Uncanny Avengers.

And then you have the current X-event, in which the timeline is almost broken. Again.

I feel like this winter, once Infinity is over, and once the current Uncanny Avengers arc is over, I'm just going to have to sit down and reread 4 or 5 of these series from start to finish.

I think there are a lot of really, really, really good superhero comics being done by Marvel right now, but it's almost hard to appreciate them as much as I feel I SHOULD be appreciating them, simply because on several series the intensity has been turned up to 9, 10, or 11 for most of the last year.

I'd love to have a whole omnibus of just Hickman's Avengers, New Avengers, and Infinity stuff, with everything put in chronological order, even if that means interspersing pages from different issues between each other. I think it's a huge epic storyline that really would benefit from TONS of footnotes (by someone other than Hickman), but as it is right now, it's almost too overwhelming for me to even comprehend.

All in all, though, yeah, Marvel Now could hardly be better as far as I'm concerned. I'm reading 12 Marvel series, which is about as many as I ever read from them at the height of my fandom years in the '90s.
  • Options
    Its kind of torture to be behind everyone else by 6 months but it is a lot less expensive.
  • Options

Its kind of torture to be behind everyone else by 6 months but it is a lot less expensive.

That does sound rough man, I recently had to put a pretty massive overhaul to my comics buying because I could not afford the habit anymore. It's leaving a great black hole in my heart.

Wish Marvel would stop alienating fans with double shipping.
  • Options
    Well I am now reading books that I never would have before. My favorite book right now is Superior Spider-Man. It is also fun to be reading all the books from the company compared to only reading a few titles that I could afford before. I was just reading God of thunder and saw that Gor brings back the head of an Elder God. It seems like there is a running theme through these books of all these world ending events. I was looking through the release date calendar of some of the new titles like Hunger and it looks like there is a grand sceme across the books. I would love to be at one of those retreats that all the book writers go on where they put together all these events. I wonder how far in advance they have planed so far.