Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Stan Lee on The Nerdist

Eight years later* Stan Lee still has no clue what a podcast is.

*EIGHT YEARS! Holy crap.

Comments

• Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    That's what he keeps telling the fans since 8 years. He's on a loop.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    It's a fun interview, by the way.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    I'd love to listen to it...but Chris Hardwick..uugghh....
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    WetRats said:

It's a fun interview, by the way.

Much better than his typical cookie cutter interview that we get with the same stories.

• Options
    KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    Mr_Cosmic said:

have you listened to a few? I ask because I had the same reaction a few years ago when I'd see him on Chelsea and hear about the podcast and then by some accident I listened to an episode and I've been hooked ever since.

Also met him in Nashville and seemed like a genuinely nice guy

And yes that was probably the best Stan Lee interview I've heard. Was much more Stan Lee the person instead of the character he seems to portray.

• Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    Mr_Cosmic said:

agreed - never liked his style. He's way too slick. I did listen to quite a few of his "interviews" in which he was talking about his favorite subject: Hardwick. And there is way too much name dropping for my taste. But his fans eat that stuff. He obviously knows how to make a buck with his "nerdism".

• Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946

agreed - never liked his style. He's way too slick. I did listen to quite a few of his "interviews" in which he was talking about his favorite subject: Hardwick. And there is way too much name dropping for my taste. But his fans eat that stuff. He obviously knows how to make a buck with his "nerdism".

This is going to make me go back and listen to past interviews and pay more attention. I know Chris brings up stories of himself in his interviews but I never thought it was at that level. I also prefer the shows where his cohorts aren't around
  • Options
    Greg said:

This is going to make me go back and listen to past interviews and pay more attention. I know Chris brings up stories of himself in his interviews but I never thought it was at that level. I also prefer the shows where his cohorts aren't around
    I really don't think Hardwick's that bad.*

I like his quick-riffing style of humor. It meshed especially well with Stan Lee's style. Stan pretty clearly had a ball.

So did I.

*Scott Aukerman, on the other hand, is so goddamn twee I wanna turn the death-ray on him. (Or bang bang upside his head.) Shame, too, because so many of his guests are fantastic.
  • Options
    Krescan said:

And yes that was probably the best Stan Lee interview I've heard. Was much more Stan Lee the person instead of the character he seems to portray.

Yep.

It was as if his mask kept slipping off.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    edited October 2013
    Cool. Looking forward to giving this a listen.

And Hardwick is awesome to his fans, so he's okay in my book.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    edited October 2013
    Chris Hardwick takes self deprecation to the extreme. It's just painful to listen to. Also, when he interviews someone foreign he really starts in on the whole "America sucks and your country is awesome" thing..which is funny at times but he carries it too far for my taste.
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    Mr_Cosmic said:

Talking Dead broke the camels back for me. The cat just strikes me as so damn insincere. Like he would phellate any guest if he thought it would advance his career. The name dropping on the podcast (which I listened to for 6 months or a year) got hard to handle. Too many stories started with," When i was doing stand up with____________" or ,"back in the day I used to hang out with _________ at the Laugh Factory and it was HILARIOUS". and whats the deal with all the shouting?!
  • Options
    I haven't finished this episode, but I honestly didn't really enjoy what I've heard thus far from this episode, although I think most of that is because of Hardwick. Generally I enjoy the Nerdist podcast, but I've come to realize that more and more it's because of not just the guest du jour, but also whoever is on the podcast with Chris as his sidekicks, because Matt Mira is incredibly funny and a great presence on the show. I felt like Chris just lobbed some questions and praise on Stan, and Stan just riffed. Which meant half the show was entertaining, and the other half just got to be too much.
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    I listen to both nerdist and wtf periodically. not for the hosts but for the good guests. I dont find either hardwick or maron funny, interesting or particularly entertaining but they get some interesting guests.
    Most stans interviews / appearences are virtually identical including this one. Same answers same stories. still always nice hearing him though. It was nice when all the comic book and persona stuff dropped for a second and Stan reminisced about his youth and life in general. Would love more of that.
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    You're right in that it is only worth tuning in for a particularly good guest. I wouldn't listen to every episode.
  • Options
    matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    I was going to blow off the Stan interview but will check out now. As far as post Singled-out careers go I would take Hardwick's.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803

I was going to blow off the Stan interview but will check out now. As far as post Singled-out careers go I would take Hardwick's.

See, even if you don't like Chris Hardwick, at least he's pro-vaccination, right? :D
  • Options

See, even if you don't like Chris Hardwick, at least he's pro-vaccination, right? :D
    ^:)^