Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Fables ends w/ issue #150

Unhappy time people w/ the news that Fables is ending.

http://comicsbeat.com/fables-ending-with-issue-150/

Thank you Mr. Willingham & the legion of artists that made this book so special.

Share your thoughts.

Matthew

Comments

• GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    Never read it, I've always wanted to though but the number of tpb's was intimidating to me. I'm sorry to hear that it's ending but I'll be adding it to my buy list now that it is.
  • WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    150 issues with a consistent creative team and a consistently-high level of quality is something to be praised, not mourned.
  • One of the few ongoing series that I made a point of getting the trades. I'll miss it; it was a damned good series.
  • David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,884
    WetRats said:

150 issues with a consistent creative team and a consistently-high level of quality is something to be praised, not mourned.

Seconded!
  • I liked the first few issues quite a bit, but it lost me pretty quickly. I am a little surprised to hear it's still going! (I did like the Jack spinoff, though)
  • TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    "Don't be sad that it's over. Smile that it happened at all." - Dr. Seuss (loosely paraphrased)

That's twice as many issues as Sandman ran, BTW.
  • CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    I have enjoyed Fables and looking forward to see how it gets wrapped up. Maybe in the future after some down time, there will be some one shots and OGNs released.
  • Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    I bought the first three deluxe HCs and struggled to finish the third volume. I'm just one of those few who didn't care for it.
  • I was surprised to hear that Willingham is 60! That kind of puts the lie to the "people over 40 don't get hired by the Big Two", doesn't it?
  • RickMRickM Posts: 407
    He has done a great job with Fables, and I look forward to seeing how it ends. I wonder if the spin-offs also end at that point, or not.
  • John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    Still got 75 to go then :D
  • RickM said:

He has done a great job with Fables, and I look forward to seeing how it ends. I wonder if the spin-offs also end at that point, or not.

Fairest is definitely ending, supposedly the month before 150.
  • I am ok with it. I love Fables but frankly I would have been OK with it ending at issue 75
  • GargoyleGargoyle Posts: 199
    This seems like a fitting way to go out after such a strong series. Would hate to see it trickle along and get cancelled or handed off to a lesser team. I'm sure it's making tons of cash in collections but 15k a month sounds precarious to me.

This buys them the 18 months to wrap up with a bang.
  • Fables and Unwritten were the only 2 books that survived the Vertigo editorial changeover a few years ago. Now both are being put to bed. I'd like to think this was entirely a creative decision but the cynic in me says that DC knew axing every Vertigo book at once would look bad as they tranformed it into the "DC Creator's Pet Projects" imprint and now they feel like they got enough distance. In fairness, Willingham and company probably knew the end was nigh for them and will be able to craft something the fans will enjoy.
  • Fables and Unwritten were the only 2 books that survived the Vertigo editorial changeover a few years ago. Now both are being put to bed. I'd like to think this was entirely a creative decision but the cynic in me says that DC knew axing every Vertigo book at once would look bad as they tranformed it into the "DC Creator's Pet Projects" imprint and now they feel like they got enough distance. In fairness, Willingham and company probably knew the end was nigh for them and will be able to craft something the fans will enjoy.

Actually, Unwritten is merely taking a couple of months off, and is being relaunched. As for Fables, Bill co-owns the series with DC. And as it is DC’s most visible and marketable Vertigo title and still sells reasonably well, I really don’t think DC was considering it for cancellation. No, I think it really was purely Bill’s decision to move on to other things.

Actually, Unwritten is merely taking a couple of months off, and is being relaunched. As for Fables, Bill co-owns the series with DC. And as it is DC’s most visible and marketable Vertigo title and still sells reasonably well, I really don’t think DC was considering it for cancellation. No, I think it really was purely Bill’s decision to move on to other things.
    Ah, I thought I heard the relaunch was only going to be like 8 issues and that was it for Unwritten. But you can't blame me for being skepitcal about everything DC these days.

Ah, I thought I heard the relaunch was only going to be like 8 issues and that was it for Unwritten. But you can't blame me for being skepitcal about everything DC these days.
    Just looked it up again. The second volume will be 12 issues long, and that will, in fact, wrap up the series. It sounds like, in this case, it is a publishing decision to end the series, which is a shame. It had lost a bit of its magic for me the past year or so, but it was still more interesting than most comics out there. I’m sure they were hoping the Fables “crossover” would boost the numbers enough to avoid cancellation.

And I'm not saying you're completely wrong about why Fables is ending, it just doesn’t feel that way to me. I mean, it’s been Vertigo’s flagship for several years now, and the only book they publish that’s been getting any real juice in other mediums. Bill’s statement reads to me like he probably wants to write more YA novels, and is edging away from comics.

I mean, it’s been Vertigo’s flagship for several years now, and the only book they publish that’s been getting any real juice in other mediums.

And no larges at all!
  • Loved the series. I miss definitely miss the Farm and Wolf Manor. Long Life Boy Blue!