Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The 2013 Not-So-Secret Santa Thread

Usually I start this up around mid-Halloween but things got away from me so let's just kick it off:

THE 2013 NOT-SO-SECRET SANTA LIST!

Longtime forumites: You know how it works. Nothing has changed.

New forumites: This is an annual event going on its 5th or 6th year. It's an opportunity to get a fun secret (or not-so-secret) gift under your tree (or menorah) (or kwanzaa candle thingy) or whatever, and to also bring a lot of happiness to someone else. In a nutshell, you sign up, provide your information, send out a gift to your secret santa, and get one from yours.

Here's how it works: Post on this thread the following info:

1) Your handle/forum name (Yes, I know it's on your post as well. This makes it easier to cut and paste for me)
2) Whether you're willing to ship international or just domestic (I do two lists - one for each group)
3) The character(s) you want your santa to sketch for you. (No fair asking for every Legionnaire/X-Man/etc. - try and keep it to one or two people)

So once I get everyone's name I use a sophisticated randomizer to pair everyone up. I post a list of who your not-so-secret santa is. You then contact that person to get real names, addresses, specifics, etc. You then sketch your particular santa's request, find about 5 or so old comics you no longer want/need, and mail them off to arrive before Dec. 25. Then we all share everyone's sketches and stuff and have a general good time.

FAQ:
Q: Wait...I have to SKETCH? But I'm not an artist!
A: Doesn't matter. Part of the fun of this is getting the sketch. For many of us it is THE most fun part...you don't have to bring our your Windsor brushes or rapidograph tech pens...if all you have is a Bic and some old crayolas...have at it. Do your best, or at least give it your best shot. It's not a competition - it's a showcase. YOU. HAVE. TO. DO. A. SKETCH.

Q: And I have to give up comics from my precious collection?

A: Look, EVERY one of us at some point in our lives has picked up a book or five that we ended up not caring for. Put 'em together and let someone else have 'em! The absolute minimum is 3-5 regular comic books. Some of us go nuts and send trades, etc..I'm guilty of this, but you don't need to feel that obligated. Find some old comics you no longer want and throw them in with your sketch. Most people go way beyond the minimum and that's great, but the minimum should be 3-5 comics.

Q: What if I send my stuff out and get nothing from my Santa?

A: I won't lie. It's happened in the past. I do my best to maintain a blacklist, but I'm not the police and I can't force anyone to do anything. That said, let's take a phrase from Wil Wheaton's book - "Don't be an asshole." If you do not feel you can commit to participating in this - DO NOT PARTICIPATE! Nobody will think any less of you, but I will publicly shame the shit out of you if you sign up then leave your santa cold. Having said that, the onus of communication lies between the two people once I've posted the list of who is doing what for whom. Think of me as a last resort, but if it's mid-December and you haven't heard anything or it's February and you haven't received anything - yeah, there's a problem. In the past, artists have stepped up to be willing "fill-ins" for the no shows, and while that's appreciated, it's not a fix to the actual problem. Bottom line - don't be a dick.

And that is IT! I'm late in getting this out - I've been busy - so we have a limited amount of time. How about we set up MONDAY, NOV. 25 as the deadline to get your name in? I'll post the list on Thanksgiving or the day before (Nov. 26-27). Remember - 1) Handle, 2) Domestic/International, 3) What you want a sketch of.

If you're new to this and have questions beyond what's here - just ask...either on here or PM me. It's a LOT of fun if you've never done it. For many of us it's one of the best parts of being part of this forum.

Comments