Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Mike's Amazing World of Comics' Newsstand

I'm new to the forum and figured I'd share this awesome site, which I am not affiliated with, but find terribly awesome.

The Newsstand

You can choose a date and see almost every comic released for that particular month. It's glorious if you want to relive a bit of your comic collecting past. It's downright overwhelming once you start checking out the early 90's and the insane amount of books being released. Enjoy!

Comments

• Options
    playdohsrepublicplaydohsrepublic Posts: 1,377
    edited November 2013
    Let's play a game. Best comic release the month you were born. (Sorry Forumites over 79, no data for you). If you go to the site, make sure you select "On Sale" and not "Cover Dated".

I have a tough choice already for June '82. Jim Starlin's first Dreadstar OGN, or Wolverine #1...

Going with Wolverine #1. How can you beat Miller or Claremont at their peaks.
  • Options
    RickMRickM Posts: 407
    Okay, this is the Greatest Website Ever.

Right now in grad school I'm working on a series of essays and they touch on the first comics I picked up. I remember the first one, Justice League 112, but it's fascinating to see what else was on the stands at the same time, and in the months after. Unreal.

Also depressing to think that my 10-year-old self passed over lots of high-value comics like Hulk 181 and X-Men 94 in my zeal to obtain the latest issue of Action. Sigh.
  • Options
    I've got a few solid choices from September '82:

- Marvel Graphic Novel #4: The New Mutants (Claremont & McLeod)
    - Daredevil #190 (Miller and Janson)
    - Batman #354 & Detective Comics #521 (I have a lot of love for the Gerry Conway Bat era)
    - Fantastic Four #249 (Byrne)

I'm going with Daredevil #190. Like playdohsrepublic said, Miller. Peak. Done.
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    October 1973.
    Amazing Spider-Man #129
    first appearance of The Punisher.
    Cool.
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    edited November 2013
    July 1953.

Action Comics #182
    ...with what appears to be the first story about Kryptonians since Superman first arrived on Earth! And some great, classic Superman art by the great Wayne Boring.

And Weird Science #20... with a Ray Bradbury story. Appropriate, as Bradbury is my favorite writer.

• Options
    ...and I have to admit to a guilty childhood pleasure: a comic about the Lone Ranger's horse, Silver!

These were still being published when I was finally old enough to read, and I was initially curious and fascinated about a series where the main character was a horse -- without his famous rider -- usually interacting with the other horses in the herd he ran with, and there was seldom any dialogue, except for the ocassional observation from Tonto, who appeared to live nearby. It's been many years since I've read any of these, but I recall them being pretty good.
  • Options
    RickMRickM Posts: 407
    November of 1963. I'll go with FF #23:

Also notable that month was X-Men 3, Avengers 3, and Amazing Spider-Man 9.

And this:

• Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    November 1979:

Savage She-Hulk #1

X-Men #130 "Dazzler"

I'm blown away by how many various Archie and Richie Rich comics were released on a monthly basis back then.
  • Options
    KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    January 1978

Spider-woman #1

Agreed, 9 different Richie Rich titles, it's not double, triple or whatever 9 is shipping when you add a word or two after Richie Rich to make it it's own title I suppose
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    Green Lantern Green Arrow 76 (Green Arrow destroying GLs trapped lantern)

Agree on the Archie / Richie Rich stuff. Richie Rich in particular is bothersome to me.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    hauberk said:

Richie Rich in particular is bothersome to me.

Shhh! @JamieD will hear you.
  • Options
    JamieDJamieD Posts: 210
    Mr_Cosmic said:

hauberk said:

Thems fightin words........ [-(
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    JamieD said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

hauberk said:

Thems fightin words........ [-(
    I acquired a nice sized chunk of books last year that included what amounted to about 4 long boxes of Richie Rich books.

It took about two days to sort the books and just figure out what I was sitting on. Between Cash, Millions, Billions, Zillions, Gems and all of the other titles I had a couple of realizations/urges:

1 - I get much more strongly where the current level of narcissism and instant gratification come from.

2 - ditto for today's ideas about getting rich quick and absurd levels of consumerism

3 - really wanted to find something to Occupy.
  • Options
    Just in case you didn't know, Mike has the Mike's Amazing World of DC History podcast on the Two True Freaks network. He is starting at the very beginning of DC's publishing history and making his way forward.
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    Been using this site for a couple years now putting my silver and bronze age books in order of publication dates. Great resource.

August 1972

Night Nurse #1
    The Cat #1
    Shanna, The She-Devil #1
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    July 69 - apparently Young Love comics were all the rage when I was born... :)