Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Comments

• Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    I think I'm going to ISU Tuesday night (11/12) for a lecture. Bill Rosemann will speak. The lecture starts at 7pm and is FREE. The beer at Fat Jacks afterwards is not.
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    I was actually contemplating the same thing, though Maggie's was more on my target list for after. Have to check and see what the family plans are for the night first.
  • Options
    OH! I had my first date with my fiancee at Maggie Miley's. Sold. My only down side is I work 10:30-7 that night so i will have to arrive late to the lecture.
  • Options
    So this was a cool time. Decent turn out for a Tuesday I thought. Maybe 150 in attendance? The presentation was a little on the 7th grade, stay in school, don't do drugs side, but the Q&A was pretty interesting. There was some conversation about the new Ms.Marvel and what diversity at Marvel looked like. He talked about hate mail and fan mail Marvel received over: the death of Captain America, the creation of Miles Morales & the new Ms. Marvel. I was able to ask what kind of sales threshold Ms. Marvel would have to hit before being canned. I remembered Kelly Sue Duconnik exhorting fans to get behind the new Captain Marvel series or it would never make issue 12. So, in that context what did Ms. Marvel have to do to stay alive? He said, of course, that all titles are written with a budget and has to sell enough issues to profit over the budget. A title with a more expensive creative team has to sell more issues than a title with a novice creative team. This is one way to extend the life of the title. (This could also explain the somewhat inconsistent art on Captain Marvel itself).

Of course, the best fun was after when 5-6 of us got together after and I got to meet @hauberk for the first time and have some beers. Turns out it is a freakishly small world. Good stuff!
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    random73 said:

So this was a cool time. Decent turn out for a Tuesday I thought. Maybe 150 in attendance? The presentation was a little on the 7th grade, stay in school, don't do drugs side, but the Q&A was pretty interesting. There was some conversation about the new Ms.Marvel and what diversity at Marvel looked like. He talked about hate mail and fan mail Marvel received over: the death of Captain America, the creation of Miles Morales & the new Ms. Marvel. I was able to ask what kind of sales threshold Ms. Marvel would have to hit before being canned. I remembered Kelly Sue Duconnik exhorting fans to get behind the new Captain Marvel series or it would never make issue 12. So, in that context what did Ms. Marvel have to do to stay alive? He said, of course, that all titles are written with a budget and has to sell enough issues to profit over the budget. A title with a more expensive creative team has to sell more issues than a title with a novice creative team. This is one way to extend the life of the title. (This could also explain the somewhat inconsistent art on Captain Marvel itself).

Of course, the best fun was after when 5-6 of us got together after and I got to meet @hauberk for the first time and have some beers. Turns out it is a freakishly small world. Good stuff!

Agreed with all of the above. Didn't stick around for the signing as there was an Irish pub needing attention, but in general, the price of admission was right and the Q&A was terrific. Really nice to see that it wasn't just old farts and college kids - there were actual children present that were actively engaged in the Q&A!

Totally agreed on how small of a world it is. Had a great time chatting after.

• Options
    kfreemankfreeman Posts: 314
    He's speaking on campus here next week (UNCP) as well.