Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1444 Talkback - Down in Fraggle Rock!

Here at the tail-end of Fraggle Rock's 30th anniversary year, we sit down with our favorite professional Muppet fans, artists Katie Cook and David Petersen, to reminisce about our favorite characters, episodes, music, and historical trivia from the classic TV series, Jim Henson & Co.'s attempt to achieve world peace through children's television! A pre-holiday treat for all the Muppet fans out there in CGS Land. (1:52:02)

Listen now--worries for another day!

Comments

• Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    :-bd

These episodes are always fun!
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Growing up in NE Minnesota we had access to Canadian TV(CBC). That's how I was able to watch the show. I think a lot of homes without HBO missed out.
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    Mr_Cosmic said:

Growing up in NE Minnesota we had access to Canadian TV(CBC). That's how I was able to watch the show. I think a lot of homes without HBO missed out.

Yep. I knew about it. I don't think I had seen more than a handful of episodes.
  • Options
    alienalalienal Posts: 508
    edited December 2013
    I've never seen an episode of Fraggle Rock! So, I'm just listening to hear Katie Cook and the the guys talk. ;-) Oh, and hey, ... my 200th post! Yay! \:D/
  • Options
    CalibanCaliban Posts: 1,358
    I had no idea that the framing story had a different character in different countries. Here we had the Captain played by the actor Fulton McKay who was best known for the comedy show Porridge, but he also played a similar character in the movie Local Hero.
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    On German TV Fraggle Rock was called DIE FRAGGLES.
    It first aired around November 1983 and was an instant hit. Well known German actors did the voice acting. Of the 96 episodes 85 have been dubbed. So there are still a few episodes I've never seen. I understand that they made localised versions of the series (as they did with Sesame Street)

In "our" version the Fraggle action took place beneath the workshop of the inventor Doc.photo fragglesdoc_zpsa58a860e.jpgHans-Helmut Dickow

The German punk band Normahl paid their tribute to the Fraggles with the song......Fraggles.

http://youtu.be/rWgCd_edodE

• Options
    abuddahabuddah Posts: 133
    Woozel wuzzel?
  • Options
    My favorite Fraggle has always been Wembly, as he is the character I most associate myself with.
  • Options
    abuddahabuddah Posts: 133
    The figure Shane spoke of

As for the Muppet Family X-Mas, it's readily available on DVD, it's just cut to shreds
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Muppet_Family_Christmas#Scenes_omitted_in_North_American_DVD_and_VHS_release

Your 2 options are a fairly decent uncut version that lives on Youtube or a fan made DVD which I have which is spectacular. I'll be doing my annual screening as I decorate the tree this week.
  • Options
    Wow! I had forgotten how great that show was. I did have HBO and I am remembering sitting in front of the TV with our usual dessert of ice cream watching this new show called Fraggle Rick with wide eyes and excitement. I agree with Murd that the subject matter was delivered to a children's audience without the assumption that children were dumb. And I agree with Katie that most kid shows today are mushy. I'm looking forward to buying the Fraggle DVDs and showing them to my kids and seeing their reactions.
    Thanks for digging up these memories that were buried under a 25 years of other stuff. :-)
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    It's mentioned a few times on the episode that people's ability to watch the show depended on wether or not they had cable. Was HBO automatically included if you had cable in some areas? We had cable but HBO was still an extra charge that my parents were not willing to pay.
  • Options
    In our area my parents paid extra for HBO.
  • Options
    I remember watching the episodes as a kid and loving them. My family was one of the lucky ones who had cable. My question has always been this. If Fraggle Rock took place under Doc's workshop, how do you explain the Gords being outside? A pocket universe? I have always been curious. Maybe it was explained in the show and I missed it. Any help with my understanding would be greatly appreciated. Oh, and I love listening to the shows. I am so thankful you all exist. Bless you all in the new year...