Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Things to go away in 2014

13»

Comments

• Options
    shroud68shroud68 Posts: 457
    I think we are saying the same thing. I think I did not understand how you phrased it. The Bill Mantlo stuff kills me and I wish I could do more.
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    Mr_Cosmic said:

How about the main stream media covering a comics related story without "Zap!" "Bam!" and "Pow!"

and if it's done with charm?

http://youtu.be/QMmDBRDA0Fc
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    RickM said:

random73 said:

RickM said:

The comics-related thing I always hate hearing is "so-and-so famous creator is sick and out of money, and has no health insurance." If that went away in 2014, I would be happy.

...because you want them all to be healthy and secure, right? Not because poor people are a pain in the ass...right? Throw me a bone here and tell me I read that with an overly cynical eye. Please!
    Ouch, yes, you are a bit cynical. I think it is tragic that our crazy health system leaves people bankrupt just because they got sick. And it always hits home when it is someone who wrote or drew a comic I liked. I'm not a poor-people-basher, because I think our systems are rigged for the most part.

Okay I feel better now.
  • Options
    Fade2BlackFade2Black Posts: 1,457
    edited December 2013
    Things I'd like eradicated in 2014:

1.) 2013 The previous year always seems to linger. Just for once, I'd like to be able to write a check in January and not date it the previous year.

2.) bronies (However, considering a large percentage of my tumblr. constituency seems to identify with this group, I may have to reconsider this stance.)

3.) the name "Kardashian" It could be like the muggle equivalent of "Voldomort".

4.) "ongoing" shows that I like taking ridiculously long breaks between seasons (*cough* *cough* SHERLOCK *cough* *cough* DOCTOR WHO)

5.) "convenience fees" - I've yet to encounter one that was.

6.) people who bash the Pope for the atrocious transgressions committed by other leaders of the Catholic church From everything I've seen about this new Pope, he seems to be addressing many of the issues I have with the church, and competently so. Taking issue with a particular church stance is one thing, but I'm sick and tired of reading news articles about this guy (most of which have been surprisingly positive) only to have the discussion thread derailed by accusing him as being a molester. I have no problem with someone who condemns the acts of the perpetrators and those who sat idly by, but the Pope has demonstrated time and again, that he's not an idle bystander. I think it's time we let him clean house. You go Pope!

7.) surcharges for 3D glasses Someone needs to make this an environmental issue (i.e. shame the movie studios for wasting resources). We're wasting plastic and resources it takes to make those glasses by requiring folks to purchase 3D glasses every time they see a film. Allow patrons to keep their glasses and bring them back the next time they see a film. Have them available as a separate charge for those who lack a pair, but don't make us buy them every time.

8.) planned obsolescence I'm seeing this more and more, especially with technology. A few months ago, I had an Epson Artisan800 printer all of a sudden lock up. It wouldn't even work as a scanner. It gave me a message that essentially informed me that I had exceeded the product's life expectancy therefore there's a good chance the excess ink reservoirs were full (they weren't, I took it apart and checked). There was absolutely nothing wrong with my printer. A Google search revealed that hundreds of other people were encountering this same error. Epson offers a fix (basically they reset the internal counter and empty the reservoir) but they charge more than the cost of new printer to do so. The ink reservoir is easily cleaned, but resetting the internal counters is damn near impossible. The counters in older printers could be reset using technician codes, but newer ones require an encrypted code to unlock. Clearly Epson doesn't want people fixing their product, they want people to buy a new one. I did find a program created by a third party that hacks the encrypted code and resets the printer's page-count firmware, as well as the inkwell counter. Of course, they give the page-count option for free but charge $10 to do the inkwell. Still, it was far cheaper than Epson's proposed fix, and it worked. It used to be items were made to last, now they're being made to fail.

9.) multi-book "events" I'm sorry, but when an event becomes the norm, it ceases being an event. If DC and Marvel were to go a year or two without an event, people might actually give a rat's ass when they have one.

10.) upper-management shenanigans What I mean by this is all the B.S. that seems to be going on between creators and the publishers they work for. I'm going to single out DC in particular, but they are by no means the only culprit. For the past couple years, it seems like a week can't go by without some creator leaving a book over irreconcilable differences. Publishers, let your writers tell their stories. Steer them if you must, but let them know where they're going well ahead of time, and stop hitting them up with detours.
  • Options

7.) surcharges for 3D glasses Someone needs to make this an environmental issue (i.e. shame the movie studios for wasting resources). We're wasting plastic and resources it takes to make those glasses by requiring folks to purchase 3D glasses every time they see a film. Allow patrons to keep their glasses and bring them back the next time they see a film. Have them available as a separate charge for those who lack a pair, but don't make us buy them every time.

Ah, this is one that the theaters are snowing us on. You aren't paying for the glasses, you're supposedly paying for the projection, the cost of filming in 3D, etc... The truth is that 3D and Imax are both ways that movie companies and theaters are raising prices without appearing to raise prices. They "recycle" the glasses by sending them back to a company that sterilizes them and then ships them out again.

This explains it pretty well.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457

Ah, this is one that the theaters are snowing us on. You aren't paying for the glasses, you're supposedly paying for the projection, the cost of filming in 3D, etc... The truth is that 3D and Imax are both ways that movie companies and theaters are raising prices without appearing to raise prices. They "recycle" the glasses by sending them back to a company that sterilizes them and then ships them out again.

Ah, another reason I refuse to see a 3D movie. I recall reading studios were hoping companies like Oakley would sell designer glasses for people to wear.

Has anyone tried just bringing their own? Do they still charge you the extra fee?

M
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    Thursday Night Football.

Bad idea. You're not going to get a good performance from teams that don't have a change to recuperate & game plan.
  • Options
    RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207
    Admittedly this is from Lindsey Ellis aka the Nostalgia Chick...

Can we please stop comparing changes to things we are fans of to rape...Indiana Jones 4 didn't rape you...Man of Steel didn't rape you.

You talk to anyone who has been raped, and you find out not liking a comic/movie/video game/TV Show is really piffle in comparison.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    Matt said:

Ah, another reason I refuse to see a 3D movie. I recall reading studios were hoping companies like Oakley would sell designer glasses for people to wear.

Has anyone tried just bringing their own? Do they still charge you the extra fee?

M
    Do the theaters actually break out the glasses price as a separate fee? I tend to avoid 3D, but the times I have done it, I think the 3D showing was simply named as a higher price, without the glasses as a line item. Just like IMAX is a higher price without them saying something like "bigger screen fee" or something like that. They just name a higher price for the ticket.

Some theaters might do it that way (the glasses fee), but they would be setting themselves up for what you are describing-- people holding on to the glasses instead of throwing them in the recycle, and trying to get out of the fee next time.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    rebis said:

Thursday Night Football.

Bad idea. You're not going to get a good performance from teams that don't have a change to recuperate & game plan.

Peyton Manning? Is that you?!?
    :))
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794

2.) bronies (However, considering a large percentage of my tumblr. constituency seems to identify with this group, I may have to reconsider this stance.)

I cannot, and will not, dis the bronies.

1) They have money and will spend it. I think I've related the story of how one convention I was able to pay for my table for next year AND buy a grill solely because I drew ponies.

2) The show (and even moreso the comic) IS funny and enjoyable for all ages. Your individual mileage may vary, of course.

3) Fandom is fandom, and this one's time will likely pass. But maybe not. I'm sure people thought I was weird back in the 80s because I watched all them pervy Japanese cartoons with the big-eyed wimmins and stuff. :)
  • Options

Admittedly this is from Lindsey Ellis aka the Nostalgia Chick...

Can we please stop comparing changes to things we are fans of to rape...Indiana Jones 4 didn't rape you...Man of Steel didn't rape you.

You talk to anyone who has been raped, and you find out not liking a comic/movie/video game/TV Show is really piffle in comparison.

AGREED!
    Along the same line of thought, it would be very good if labels like Nazi or racist were used where they actually applied and not thrown around like salt at the prosciutto factory.
  • Options
    Torchsong said:

rebis said:

Thursday Night Football.

Peyton Manning? Is that you?!?
    :))
    HURRY HURRY!
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    Matt said:

M
    I've asked at our local AMC. It's all one ticket price, you're paying to see it in 3D whether you have your own glasses, need a pair or don't want a pair, it doesn't matter.