Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

January 2014 CGS episode ideas?

As I was dropping by the forums to see if a new episode for 2014 was up (but simply not showing up on my iPhone), it got me thinking. By the first week of January last year, it seems like there were about three episodes in the bag - that's a lot of production! Overall, there were somewhere in the neighborhood of 130+ episodes for 2013, which comes to around twelve to thirteen episodes per month on average, or around an episode every 2-3 days. That's a lot of episodes.

And, while I've enjoyed recent gems such as the Christmas Carol episode, and the Trivia episode (which was off the charts), I still prefer the standards. I prefer that CGS neither get too nostalgic, nor try to reinvent the wheel with new ideas. When I looked back at January 2013's episodes, I spotted a couple of "Off the Racks", a couple of "Marvel Now: Catch-Up" episodes, a few "Comic Talk" episodes, one or two industry interviews, a great "Top 5..." episode, the January Previews episode (a solid standard), a couple of "Best of 2012" episodes (2 parter), and more. In my opinion (and I realize everyone has one), these are the ones that have made CGS the top-shelf podcast that it is and a stand out among comic-related media.

The point I guess I'm trying to make here is this: I realize the producer duties have changed, yet I'm confident that CGS is still in very capable hands, but I hope the team doesn't stray too far from a tried and true formula that has worked so well for so long - and I hope that they can remain as consistent as they've proven in the past. There are some threads that have been long forgotten (Jamie's Essentials, Murd's Time Bubble, Footnotes, World of Toys, The Crisis Tapes) that I enjoyed very much, but they're no longer happening (or are they?). There is the occassional Comics With or Without Pulp, but like World of Toys, I haven't been able to get into it. It is my hope that this new leadership can pull some of those lost threads back together, remain consistent on production schedules, and definitely make 2014 the best CGS year ever. I have the utmost confidence that it will be so.

And, if we can do anything to help (donate to the show, use an Amazon link to buy stuff, support the sponsors, etc) please let us know. I can't find a donate button anywhere...

What are your favorite episodes, or rather, which sort of episodes do you most anticipate or get excited about? For me, it is definitely the "Spotlight On...", "Previews", and "Comic Talk" episodes.

Comments

• Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    I guess in recent episodes they announced a "off the rack" and a "book of the month" episode. And there will be a "best of 2013" soon. Plenty coming up. Just nothing really confirmed and visible on the CGS site.
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    Comic Talk and Spotlights always get me jazzed. Previews! Is fun too because I catch things I may have overlooked. I'd love to see more interviews with big talent. There's a lot of talk about how wonderful Hickman is... then they can ask, when will they be finishing S.H.I.E.L.D.? ;)
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    edited January 2014
    I imagine the amount of episodes will decrease from previous years due to time commitments and health issues. Probably 2 a week on average ending up with 90 to 100 episodes for the year. I think Jamie D mentioned a decrease in episodes when he first took over the producing job but i could be wrong.

The spotlights are my favorite and I am really looking forward to the return of the Book of the Month episodes.
  • Options
    Were the Spotlight on.... Wonder Woman ever finished ?

Would love some shows on crossovers. Like breakdowns and thoughts on the parts and the whole and how it affected the reader and industry at the time of publishing and the legacy on the current comics.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    edited January 2014
    I'd love a continuation on the Crisis on Infinite Earths podcast!

Oh wait, that's more of a suggestion regarding spin-offs.
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    edited January 2014

@Adam_Murdough !!!! @Peter !!!!

• Options
    Here's a link to the "Donate" page.

• Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    edited January 2014

@Adam_Murdough !!!! @Peter !!!!

Agreed!!
  • Options

Here's a link to the "Donate" page.

Thanks Ed! I hope everyone will consider using that link! Also, is there an Amazon banner or anything else we can do to support?
  • Options
    First January episode is now online... one of my favorite categories too, "Comic Talk".

Listen here.
  • Options
    ElsiebubElsiebub Posts: 338
    Let me just say that I check for a new "Murd's Time Bubble" almost every weekday when I DON'T see a new regular episode posted. So, I really hope Murd finds the time to continue on. He's taken longer breaks than this before, so I'm not TOO worried yet.

I also hope that we get to hear more Avengers and X-Men Spotlight podcasts, taking us through the '00s.
    fredzilla said:

I'd love to see more interviews with big talent. There's a lot of talk about how wonderful Hickman is... then they can ask, when will they be finishing S.H.I.E.L.D.? ;)

About a week ago Bleeding Cool collated some Twitter posts from Dustin Weaver, and the long-story-short is that the final two scripts have been completed and he's drawing them now.

Still, I WOULD like more interviews, and Hickman would be great to hear on the show.
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    Elsiebub said:

About a week ago Bleeding Cool collated some Twitter posts from Dustin Weaver, and the long-story-short is that the final two scripts have been completed and he's drawing them now.

• Options
    "What is the Role of the _________" are re-listening worthy favorites of mine.

Previews are great as are spotlights. I miss Crisis Tapes and Murds Time Bubble as well.

As far as any specific ideas....IDK. This one is pretty self serving, but given all of the comic specific podcasts CGS has inspired, such as my own, maybe one day CGS could have an episode (or series of episodes) where a representative from some of these podcasts comes on and talks whats been going on with their character/catching up on various series and characters. IDK. That one really does seem pretty self serving.

Bottom line? CGS's show is CGS's show. I feel sort of weird telling them what episodes they should or shouldn't do. I mean, I listen to them all eventually anyways...
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200

Bottom line? CGS's show is CGS's show. I feel sort of weird telling them what episodes they should or shouldn't do. I mean, I listen to them all eventually anyways...

Not to mention it's free. I have a hard time getting bent out of shape or making strong suggestions over entertainment that is being produced out of love and not monetary gain.

• Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

....it's free. I have a hard time getting bent out of shape or making strong suggestions over entertainment that is being produced out of love and not monetary gain.

Ditto
  • Options
    It helps that I'm in the podcasting game too. I appreciate fans who are anxious to hear mine and my co-hosts opinion on various things, but some people just get downright angry over it. When that happens, it's hard not to react like, "Hey dude, F#$K off. It's FREE. We'll get to it when we get to it."

Which, I want to be CLEAR, that I don't see as the original posters intent at all. I'm just commenting.
  • Options
    I have decided not to listen to the next dozen or so Time Bubbles. I'm going to save them up, then listen to them long after they were posted, to see if some sort of double-time-vortex-rip-in-space thing happens.

Aw, who am I kidding? Time Bubbles are like pizza with crack on top. I have to listen to them immediately.
  • Options
    mguy1977mguy1977 Posts: 801

Time Bubbles are like pizza with crack on top. I have to listen to them immediately.

That needs to be the tagline.

Matthew