Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1450 Talkback - Comic Talk: Month in Review

We begin 2014 with a roundup of select news and events from the last few weeks of 2013. Topics include the return of Gail Simone, Jim Starlin, and the Star Wars franchise to Marvel, and the inevitable mishmash of geek-appropriate TV talk. (1:27:21)

Listen here.

Comments

• Options
    ArKayArKay Posts: 2
    Jamie has been sounding terrible for the last couple of episodes, he's far too loud and distorted. He either has the mic too close to his mouth or is shouting. It's not easy on the ears.
  • Options
    abuddahabuddah Posts: 133
    Have to agree with Arkay, this is a simple fix, especially with the quality mics you all invested in. While on the topic of feedback, any chance of limiting or parsing out the plugs/announcements? It was 20 minutes before comic talk actually took place.

There has been hirings for Marvel/Netflix. Buffy/LOST alum Drew Goddard is the show runner for Daredevil
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    edited January 2014
    Simple audio issues could make a top shelf podcast like CGS sound bush-league and that would be a terrible turn of events. I'll listen tonight!

• Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    I always skip the commercials. :-\"
  • Options
    Jamie does sound just fine to me - but maybe my hearing gets weak.... %-(
  • Options
    My best of list is ready - looking forward to the nomination show
  • Options
    Law and Order: Daredevil - hope this will have the timestamp thingy....
  • Options
    Thus far Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D failed to "entertain" me. So many great alternatives to watch instead. There is only so much time.
  • Options
    abuddah said:

Have to agree with Arkay, this is a simple fix, especially with the quality mics you all invested in. While on the topic of feedback, any chance of limiting or parsing out the plugs/announcements? It was 20 minutes before comic talk actually took place.

Hate to keep piling on but I agree with both points. The mic level is certainly off for Jamie (it does sound like he is just too close) and while I know that them bills "gots to be paid", 10:26 of sponsor talk at the beginning may just be getting a little heavy handed.

Of course I was suppose to be gone awhile back, so not sure how much my opinion matters.
    :-)
  • Options
    Was too late in stopping the podcast - and stepped right into The Walking Dead SPOILER

Mid-season finale spoiled :(( So be careful!
  • Options
    Jamie is clearing his throat quite a lot. Guess I should send some Chrüter-Schnaps...
  • Options
    and Murd is wrong : ARROW is awesome and most of all truly entertaining.
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820

"DISAGREE"

I like the action sequences, but the heavy handed soap opera moments turn me off.

• Options

Yeah, going with Murd here as well. Tried twice to watch this show, but dialog was just horrid. It's like listening to 14 year old girls talk. ARROW has found the correct channel to be on; The CW. Happy for those that can enjoy it, but not for me.

I will give it credit for having action at least, something SHIELD needs to borrow.
  • Options
    ElsiebubElsiebub Posts: 338
    edited January 2014
    Good show, guys. Most appreciated.

Jamie's volume sounds okay to me, but I listen to the show through speakers.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Not bothered by Jamie being a bit distorted. It's slight. Great episode. Looking forward to the Best of 2013 episode!

And I agree with Murd, Arrow blows... it belongs on the CW

P.S. Agents of SHIELD ain't much better either, but it has its moments.
  • Options
    Elsiebub said:

Good show, guys. Most appreciated.

That it is. Always appreciated
    Elsiebub said:

Jamie's volume sounds okay to me, but I listen to the show through speakers.

It's not the volume that is the problem, it is his proximity to the mic. It causes a distortion through most of the podcast, but when he gets excited it is really bad. I had to stop listening when they started talking about SHIELD because he got so into the discussion all I could hear was "RBERWAEJHFALK DSHFIEF".

:))

Maybe start using "those cans", as they would say in WKRP (a favorite of the show) ... head phones at the beginning of the episode, until the levels are adjusted, so the guys in the studio can hear what we are hearing. Or what some of us are hearing.
  • Options
    very good episode. I'm kind of wondering if the Netflix Marvel series will have any overlap with Agents of Shield, or whether they'll be their only little universe. I suppose "own little universe" would be the most likely. Moving on, Jamie didn't sound distorted to me, but I only listen with one earbud, so maybe that's why I didn't have a problem.
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    edited January 2014
    A couple of thoughts on Time of the Doctor.

The Doctor mentions that he picked up Handles in a market ... somewhere. It had been stripped of all organics. That was enough for me. Didn't need to know more about that. When I saw the Cyberhead I immediately thought of the head we see floating in space at the end of Nightmare in Silver.
    I LOVED old Doctor. The show tends to be the unchanging Doctor at the center of everything. I thought it was a nice twist to have the unchanging companion. I also enjoy the idea of this champion that defends a city called Christmas and fixes/makes toys in his spare time. That, and making barns bigger on the inside.
    I liked the vision of adolescent Amelia. I didn't need to see grown up Amy Williams. Although, it's interesting to note that both actors were wearing wigs in that scene.

Every once in a while JLC's "northern" accent will slip out. I love those bits! That's dead freakin sexy.

KIDNEYS!
  • Options
    JamieDJamieD Posts: 210

Was too late in stopping the podcast - and stepped right into The Walking Dead SPOILER Mid-season finale spoiled :(( So be careful!

You were warned

;;)
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    I'm looking forward to Starlin's projects at Marvel. The preview pages I've seen for the first OGN show Drax reverting to his old purple costume. While I love his cosmic work I'm in the camp that thought DnA were a breath of fresh air. I hope Starlin isn't trying to rock the boat too much.
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    JamieD said:

Was too late in stopping the podcast - and stepped right into The Walking Dead SPOILER Mid-season finale spoiled :(( So be careful!

You were warned

;;)
    To be fair, it wasn't much of a warning and certainly wasn't the warning in the title/description that was referenced toward the end of the conversation.

Agree with the sound levels. Jamie sounds very bassy and is generally running hotter on the mike than the rest of the crew. I find that particularly bothersome when I volume up to hear someone else and then get blasted when Jamie rejoins the conversation.
  • Options
    alienalalienal Posts: 508
    At the beginning I thought Jamie sounded okay, but afterwards he got louder. So, yeah, maybe he somehow moved too close?
    TV shows: I'm excited about the Netflix things. As long as comics gets out there! Sort of an Uncle Sal philosophy...
    SHIELD: Thumbs up! Arrow: Thumbs up! Dr. Ho-Hum...., Walking Dead: Sounds good. (I just finished watching Season 2 on DVD, so by the time I get to Season 4, I'll have forgotten what you guys said. And I'm also reading the trades and I'm woefully behind. I think I've only just finished book 3 or 4.(
    Licenses: Well, I'm sure Marvel will just hire more talent (editors/writers/artists) to do the Star Wars stuff.
    Anyway, thanks for the episode!