Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Authority

Ok so I got in my last DCBS shipment The Authority vol 2. There had been talk about how I like Millar's stuff and someone suggested it right at the same time this was in previews so I decided to give it a shot. I opened it up last night and started reading, and like I assumed, I was a little lost but the story was good enough that I was following a long ok but I had this question.

Should I read the vol 1 first or will I be able to make it without getting too lost? Is there anything I NEED to know without reading vol 1 that will clear some things I may run into up?

Comments

• Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Yes you should probably pick up Vol. 1 if you really enjoyed what you read in Vol. 2.
  • Options
    KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    I'm only about an issues worth into vol 2 so that's what I'm asking should I stop, get vol 1 and then go on or will I be ok with doing them out of order. I've already gotten enough info to know one of the main things that happens at the end of vol 1
  • Options
    Vol 1 is really worth it. It's millar's baby and you get to see where he started. I personally think the first volume is better than the second but I might gives both another read.
  • Options
    AxelBrassAxelBrass Posts: 245
    edited January 2014
    I'd still read volume 1 if you're only that far into volume 2. It's great!

In fact, I'm going to re-read vol 1 this weekend!
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    Volume 1 is probably Ellis and Hitch rather than Millar and Quitely, right? If you like the premise, characters, and attitude I would say it is worth starting from the beginning.
  • Options
    David_D said:

Volume 1 is probably Ellis and Hitch rather than Millar and Quitely, right? If you like the premise, characters, and attitude I would say it is worth starting from the beginning.

Yeah, sorry about my mistake about that. I noticed it last night when I went back and reread it. That is for pointing that out.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Last week I sat down and read through Planetary for the first time. Now I'm reading Ellis' Stormwatch...then it's on to The Authority.
  • Options
    What is Planetary like then?
  • Options

It's a team set in the same universe as The Authority. They deal with off the wall weird stuff that happens on earth. Their enemies are an evil version of the Fantastic Four.

• Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

It's a team set in the same universe as The Authority. They deal with off the wall weird stuff that happens on earth. Their enemies are an evil version of the Fantastic Four.

I think that is well-put. I would also add that- and this is another way in which Planetary is like the FF- they are multiversal explorers. And a lot of the places they go seem like they are meant to resemble (and sometimes I would say satirize) different existing comic universes and tones. They end up visiting, and dealing with threats from, different kinds of stories. I would say the tone of Planetary is more mystery and cosmic, where Authority is more action, and dealing with big invasions. And I think both are great reads.
  • Options
    David_D said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

I think that is well-put. I would also add that- and this is another way in which Planetary is like the FF- they are multiversal explorers. And a lot of the places they go seem like they are meant to resemble (and sometimes I would say satirize) different existing comic universes and tones. They end up visiting, and dealing with threats from, different kinds of stories. I would say the tone of Planetary is more mystery and cosmic, where Authority is more action, and dealing with big invasions. And I think both are great reads.
    Well said..as always :)

A lot of the fun for me was the alternate reality versions of some very well known comic/pulp characters.

• Options
    Well, I've ordered Planetary and I should be finding out what all the fuss is about soon.
  • Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

David_D said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

Well said..as always :)

A lot of the fun for me was the alternate reality versions of some very well known comic/pulp characters.

Thanks! And I agree- Ellis and Cassaday's distillation of a lot of those characters are very cool. A favorite issue of mine is also when they basically visit the world of Hellblazer.
  • Options

Well, I've ordered Planetary and I should be finding out what all the fuss is about soon.

Enjoy!