Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

April Solicitations 2014 Dark Horse IDW Marvel Image & DC

Comments

• Options
    mguy1977mguy1977 Posts: 801
    Well Peter Parker is making the come back & I'm ready for it. Six bucks for the return of the REAL Spider-Man. Bring it on! Daredevil is starting that crappy practice of double shipping.

Matthew
  • Options
    CageNarleighCageNarleigh Posts: 729
    edited January 2014
    Nexus Omnibus Volume 5 TP

^How many more of these will there be? I'm LOVING them, but I'm trying to figure out when to stop waiting for the next one with baited breath? lol

Serenity: Leaves on the Wind #4 (of 6)

^Has the first issue come out yet?

Captain Midnight #10

^Anyone else reading this? Only Dark Horse ongoing I'm getting right now.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    edited January 2014
    I'll be dropping Hulk this month. I've enjoyed what Waid has done but I really, really do not want another Bagley book.

Original Sin? YEAH, YEAH, take my money Marvel.

I'm happy Peter is coming back but I'll miss Ock as Spidey.

I'm glad to see DnA back on GotG..even if it's just for a few stories.

• Options
    CageNarleighCageNarleigh Posts: 729
    edited January 2014
  • Options
    Some of my favorite lines from this months solicits:

Moon Knigth #2:
    The best new comic of 2014 continues with a story that has to be experienced to be believed!

She-Hulk #3:
    All this, and Matt Murdock too as Charles Soule (THUNDERBOLTS) and Javier Pulido (HAWKEYE) continue 2014’s sleeper hit!

I'd like to point out that neither book has had its first issue come out yet.

• Options
    ElsiebubElsiebub Posts: 338
    Glad to see that McGuinness is on art for Amazing X-Men #6 (i.e., he made it beyond the first story arc without needing a fill-in). I'm not as high on the series as some folks around here, but it's solid.

But... "Daredevil #1.50". For $5. WTF, Marvel. The issue's content actually sounds okay (though it could turn out kinda gimmicky), but it should have simply been Daredevil #1. Or maybe have DD #1 be bonus sized, include the anniversary stuff AND the start of the new current continuity stuff in the same issue. Instead it's like Marvel is saying "Yay! Hey DD fans! We're relaunching the title, adding a dollar each time out, and in the second month we're double-shipping with a $5 bonus issue. I know you're used to your ol' reliable DD for $2.99 a month, but in the first two months of the relaunch we're asking you to give us $13, 'as a special thank-you to fans'." It isn't that I have a HUGE problem with this, but it's just sad to see Mark Waid going along with it, sort of like how Snyder goes along with all of the bloated Batman stuff.
  • Options
    playdohsrepublicplaydohsrepublic Posts: 1,377
    edited January 2014
    Elsiebub said:

Glad to see that McGuinness is on art for Amazing X-Men #6 (i.e., he made it beyond the first story arc without needing a fill-in). I'm not as high on the series as some folks around here, but it's solid.

But... "Daredevil #1.50". For $5. WTF, Marvel. The issue's content actually sounds okay (though it could turn out kinda gimmicky), but it should have simply been Daredevil #1. Or maybe have DD #1 be bonus sized, include the anniversary stuff AND the start of the new current continuity stuff in the same issue. Instead it's like Marvel is saying "Yay! Hey DD fans! We're relaunching the title, adding a dollar each time out, and in the second month we're double-shipping with a $5 bonus issue. I know you're used to your ol' reliable DD for $2.99 a month, but in the first two months of the relaunch we're asking you to give us $13, 'as a special thank-you to fans'." It isn't that I have a HUGE problem with this, but it's just sad to see Mark Waid going along with it, sort of like how Snyder goes along with all of the bloated Batman stuff.

Those are more or less editorial/publisher/marketing decisions though. What are the creators going to do? Their choices are to work, let some one else handle the characters they've put so much work into, or quit. If it's going to come out anyway, they might as well work, at least this way it has a chance of being relevant to their on-going story.
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    Megatron sporting an Autobot badge. The debut of Windblade, the Hasbro sponsored fan built bot and Transformers Legacy, yes please, I'll take it all.
  • Options
    http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=50417

Southern Bastards finally makes its debut!

Matthew
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    mguy1977 said:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=50417

Southern Bastards finally makes its debut!

Matthew

One can already tell that it will be another great year for Image.

\m/
  • Options
    I'm eager for this series too.

Matthew
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    There is always something else from other companies that raises up the costs on my order form, but right now I am looking to be at around $80 (after DCBS discount) for the month. Lowest since Sept 2012.

Velvet vol 1
    Manhatten Projects vol 4
    Injustice Gods Among Us vol 2
    DC Showcase Superfriends
    Catwoman (n52) vol 4
    Fairest vol 3
    Masterworks Capt America vol 3
    Spiderman Epic Collection
    Injustice Gods Among Us Y2 #4
    Harley Quinn #5 (possibly - depending on how issue #2 goes)
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    How does this happen?

◦Due to editorial circumstances
    HAWKEYE will ship two upcoming issues out of its normal numbering sequence. HAWKEYE #16 will go on-sale 01/22/14, while HAWKEYE #15 will go on sale 02/19/14.

• Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    DC
    Aquaman
    Aquaman and the Others
    Batwoman
    Batwoman Annual
    GL titles
    Justice League

A Sinestro series? With Eaglesham art? I so don't want to buy this. But I think I'll end up getting it anyway. I've been sticking with the Green Lantern titles (except for Larfleeze - it gave me itchy eyes and a numb brain), but 5-6 titles is just too many.

Nice to see the Ostrander-Mandrake Spectre series getting some collected edition love.

Bummed about Suicide Squad - I've actually enjoyed that title.

$4.99 for Secret Origins? pass

IDW
    Considering picking up Rogue Trooper - didn't order the first two, but I may pick them up at the LCS - I liked Ponticelli's work on Frankenstein: Agent of SHADE.

On the fence about Southern Bastards - really liked Scalped so I'm generally well favored toward it.

Black Science
    Dead Body Road
    Lazarus vol 2 trade (buying it in floppy as well)

Marvel
    Miracle Man vol 1 harcover

How does this happen?

◦Due to editorial circumstances
    HAWKEYE will ship two upcoming issues out of its normal numbering sequence. HAWKEYE #16 will go on-sale 01/22/14, while HAWKEYE #15 will go on sale 02/19/14.

I'm guessing that it's to keep 16 from being returnable.
  • Options
    ElsiebubElsiebub Posts: 338
    edited January 2014

Those are more or less editorial/publisher/marketing decisions though. What are the creators going to do? Their choices are to work, let some one else handle the characters they've put so much work into, or quit. If it's going to come out anyway, they might as well work, at least this way it has a chance of being relevant to their on-going story.

I see what you're saying, but I think we as fans turn a blind eye to this sort of stuff when creators we like are involved. Lots of people always say things like "Scott Lobdell? Ugh, total company tool. Goes along to get along. Always did any and every lame crossover in the '90s that Bob Harras told him to do. What a hack. . . . Scott Snyder? You mean the guy who's done four crossover/events in less than 2.5 years? Great guy! Nothing to criticize there!"

Like I think I said in my original post, I'm not really one of those guys who gets all up in arms and says things like "Daredevil's going up to $4 an issue? Okay, until now I said it was my favorite series, but for one extra buck I'll instantly kick and scream and pout and drop the book." But I think that unnecessary excess should just be pointed out. I do think that in the "event" (pun intended) that these extra special issues are basically superfluous, then maybe Waid (or whoever) should just say "You know what? I don't really have a good/big enough story for that. So get someone else to do it if you want, but I'm not going to saddle my fans with another $5 purchase in the same month when we're moving to $4 an issue anyway." At that point, the publisher has a decision to make. Either get someone else to do their superfluous $5 anniversary special (which could have just been part of the previous month's needlessly new #1 issue), or drop the project and be happy enough that they're now getting $4 an issue, and increased sales due to a relaunch. As it is, I'll probably buy this DD special anyway. And it will probably be a decent comic. Mark Waid will probably make the best of it. But it's worth remarking that with the relaunch Marvel is now all of a sudden pressuring DD fans to give them $13 in like six weeks' time. Kind of annoying. That's all I'm saying.
  • Options
    Elsiebub said:

I see what you're saying, but I think we as fans turn a blind eye to this sort of stuff when creators we like are involved. Lots of people always say things like "Scott Lobdell? Ugh, total company tool. Goes along to get along. Always did any and every lame crossover in the '90s that Bob Harras told him to do. What a hack. . . . Scott Snyder? You mean the guy who's done four crossover/events in less than 2.5 years? Great guy! Nothing to criticize there!"

Like I think I said in my original post, I'm not really one of those guys who gets all up in arms and says things like "Daredevil's going up to $4 an issue? Okay, until now I said it was my favorite series, but for one extra buck I'll instantly kick and scream and pout and drop the book." But I think that unnecessary excess should just be pointed out. I do think that in the "event" (pun intended) that these extra special issues are basically superfluous, then maybe Waid (or whoever) should just say "You know what? I don't really have a good/big enough story for that. So get someone else to do it if you want, but I'm not going to saddle my fans with another $5 purchase in the same month when we're moving to $4 an issue anyway." At that point, the publisher has a decision to make. Either get someone else to do their superfluous $5 anniversary special (which could have just been part of the previous month's needlessly new #1 issue), or drop the project and be happy enough that they're now getting $4 an issue, and increased sales due to a relaunch. As it is, I'll probably buy this DD special anyway. And it will probably be a decent comic. Mark Waid will probably make the best of it. But it's worth remarking that with the relaunch Marvel is now all of a sudden pressuring DD fans to give them $13 in like six weeks' time. Kind of annoying. That's all I'm saying.
    I 100% agree with you that $13 in six weeks is ridiculous. But the big two are never going to give up on the opportunity for an inflated anniversary issue. I mean we just got Detective #27 and that anniversary is basically a fiction. With that logic Action #1 should have been an oversized epic anniversary issue.

I know a lot of people who work freelance and I'll never criticize someone who takes a job, because you never know when work is going to dry up (especially someone like Waid who is pouring money into projects like Thrillbent, where he's giving quality comics away for free). Sometimes editorial mandates get in the way, sometimes the writer isn't good enough to cope with a project like that... And if it's bad I'll hold that against the creators. But the issue of taking advantage of the readers by price gouging, that's solely on the publishers.
  • Options

Elsiebub said:

But the big two are never going to give up on the opportunity for an inflated anniversary issue. I mean we just got Detective #27 and that anniversary is basically a fiction. With that logic Action #1 should have been an oversized epic anniversary issue.
    Also with that logic Detective Comics issues 1 through 26 should have not had Batman in them.
  • Options

Elsiebub said:

But the big two are never going to give up on the opportunity for an inflated anniversary issue. I mean we just got Detective #27 and that anniversary is basically a fiction. With that logic Action #1 should have been an oversized epic anniversary issue.
    Also with that logic Detective Comics issues 1 through 26 should have not had Batman in them.
    Soon every book will have Batman in it.

• Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    DC:
    A trade paperback of The Authority collecting just the Warren Ellis issues? Yes, please.

Showcase Presents Super Friends? Yes, I will take that also. The New 52 may not be my cuppa, but at least DC is still putting out reprint material that catches my eye and wallet.

And if I was the kind of guy who bought statues, I'd be on board for the Bombshells Stargirl statue. Those continue to look great.

Marvel:
    If I decide to follow The Amazing Spider-Man it will probably be in TPB format, but I'll probably pick up that first issue out of curiosity.

All New Doop by Peter Milligan and David LaFuente? Yeah, you've got my interest, at least for #1.

Miracleman Book 1... tempted to wait for the TPB, but I may get the HC if the discount is right.

I wish the second She-Hulk by Dan Slott Complete Collection book wasn't being solicited this month, too... so many great collections in this grouping. And I pre-ordered the first one and am looking forward to that. And the DCBS discount is the only thing that makes these affordable, so I'd rather order it sooner than later. Crap.

Image:
    The first Velvet TPB for $9.99 (probably half that on DCBS)? I'm buying the issues and I'll still probably pick that up. Buy it, buy it, buy it folks!
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    I had to cut way back on things like statues but I'll echo that the Stargirl Bombshells one would have gotten my money. I'm still debating the PG/Huntress action figure 2-pack. If there's a good discount on it and the rest of the order is light for the month I may pick it up.

Super Friends Showcase is definitely bought. We need more showcases and essentials.