Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Best Spider-Man Stories For Girls

Hey peeps, I need some help. One of my best friends has really fallen in love with Spider-Man due to the new series of movies. I want to be able to direct her to the stories that she will like the most. I am hoping you guys can point me in the right direction because most of the stories I have read have come in the past 6 years, and then classics, Kraven's Last Hunt/Maximum Carnage (yes I love Max Carnage) and I do not think she will like those stories. If I could get any help I'd really appreciate it, thanks.

Comments

• Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    Ultimate Spider-Man is the place I would start her. If she likes that then she may be more into more recent ASM and even SSM.
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    edited February 2014
    Dan Slott's current run on Spider-man has been really really good. And by "current", I mean ever since he took over the book, long before Superior Spider-Man (which is also awesome, but not true "Parker" Spider-Man)
    I got my kids (who happen to be girls) the Busiek "Untold Tales of Spider-Man" omnibus for dirt cheap. They love it. I love it too!

My older daughter loves the classic Spidey in the Essential format. But those older stories aren't for everyone, and the black and white artwork my not be her cup-o-tea. But if my 8 year old can love them, then your ladyfriend might too!
  • Options
    KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    I'll second the Ultimate Spider-man, some good strong female characters in there with Gwen, Mary Jane and Aunt Mae, and then a handful more thrown in later.

There's a Spider-Girl comic that was put out in digest form I'd always heard was good but never read it, it's Spidey-esque with a female lead so might be something worth looking into.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Untold Tales of Spider-Man was hands down the best Spider-Man book of the 90s, and there are several good stories in there featuring retconned supporting character Sally Averill and an issue that deals with Mary Jane after she has learned Peter was really Spider-Man but before she actually met him face to face, and it's one of my favorite Spider-Man stories ever.
  • Options
    I will third both Untold Tales and Ultimate and add "Spider-Man loves Mary Jane" to the list. 25 issues easily found in digest format. Never read it but I knew 2 women who loved it.
  • Options
    shroud68shroud68 Posts: 457
    Hex said:

Dan Slott's current run on Spider-man has been really really good. And by "current", I mean ever since he took over the book, long before Superior Spider-Man (which is also awesome, but not true "Parker" Spider-Man)
    I got my kids (who happen to be girls) the Busiek "Untold Tales of Spider-Man" omnibus for dirt cheap. They love it. I love it too!

My older daughter loves the classic Spidey in the Essential format. But those older stories aren't for everyone, and the black and white artwork my not be her cup-o-tea. But if my 8 year old can love them, then your ladyfriend might too!

Where did you find it dirt cheap? Like many forum members I skipped everything after 92 almost cold turkey and missed this series all together. Now I hear great things but the omnibus is always too pricey.
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    edited February 2014
    shroud68 said:

Hex said:

Where did you find it dirt cheap? Like many forum members I skipped everything after 92 almost cold turkey and missed this series all together. Now I hear great things but the omnibus is always too pricey.
    "New and Used" listing on Amazon has it for $36 (+$4 shipping) for "new" copies.

Spend a little more and you can also get the Amazing Spider-Man Omnibus and you can read them in order!
  • Options
    shroud68shroud68 Posts: 457
    If that price holds up to be true I will order it as soon as I type this. Thanks.
  • Options
    Eric_CEric_C Posts: 263
    Thanks guys. I was thinking the Essentials but I can't ever seem to find the first volume and I think untold tales would be a fun read for her as well
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    edited February 2014
    shroud68 said:

If that price holds up to be true I will order it as soon as I type this. Thanks.

Marvel had a blow out of overstock just before X-Mas. The awesome dudes at my LCS know what I like and let me look a the list of what is on sale and order in it in for me for a fraction above cost. I picked up both the "Untold Tales of Spider-Man" and first Avengers Omnibus (Omnibia?) for about $30 each. And Yes... you should be able to get "Untold Tales" for low low prices (around $35) from resellers on Amazon.
    Eric_C said:

Thanks guys. I was thinking the Essentials but I can't ever seem to find the first volume and I think untold tales would be a fun read for her as well

You can't go wrong with Essentials! And no need to start with Volume 1, they are all awesome. I didn't start reading Spider-Man with Amazing Fantasy #15 and you probably didn't either.

I will also second the suggestion for the Spider-Girl series. That was a great run. Also with Pat Olliffe artwork (same as Untold Tales of Spider-Man)! You should be able to find the Digests for reasonable prices. Marvel should do an Omnibus of that too!

Let us know how it goes!