Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Rocket Raccoon to get his own series

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1723065/rocket-raccoon-guardians-of-the-galaxy-marvel-comics-skottie-young.jhtml

"Guardians of the Galaxy" doesn't hit theaters until August 1, but Marvel is already banking on at least one of the movie's stars. Starting in July, Marvel Comics will spin off their lovable talking raccoon with a gun, Rocket, into his own solo series. And to sweeten the pot even more it'll be written and drawn by fan-favorite writer/artist Skottie Young.

For the past five years, Young has been working on Marvel's "Oz" adaptations, providing art while doing double duty on multiple covers for Marvel's superhero line, and even finding time to write a few series and one-shots. But "Rocket Raccoon" is the first time Young will serve both as writer and artist on an ongoing series. Luckily, the job was exactly the one he wanted.

"I like any of the humorous characters, any of the ones I can have fun with," Young told MTV News when we spoke on the phone earlier this week. "And around this time 'Guardians of the Galaxy' was getting restarted, so I said if there was any of way of doing some sort of Rocket Raccoon story that would be fun too!"

Editor Sana Amanat agreed, and Young was signed up to take on Rocket as his post-"Oz" gig. Though there was no specific mandate to follow the path of the movie — and in fact, Young had no idea what the character will be like on screen — once he saw the trailer, he got a sense that things were right in line between the comic and movie versions of the character.

"Even though it was just a sliver of Rocket [in the trailer], I couldn't wait to work on this guy even more," Young said. "I think it's going to have a connection to that nostalgic feeling for 'Looney Tunes,' that old animated flavor where everything wasn't squeaky clean, you know? Daffy Duck would get his bill blasted off with double barrel shotguns... That's what I grew up watching, and being able to play around with that in this hyper-superhero intergalactic universe will be a lot of fun."

[SNIP]

Comments