Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Im looking for new, "different" comics.

Right i wasnt sure where to post this tbh because im new to the forum so i apologise if its in the wrong place.
Basically ive started looking for some new comics to read, im into like dark twisted stories, you know, vampires and steampunk that kind of vibe.
Basically ive not got a clue where to start anyone got any ideas?
cheers for your time guys ^^

Answers

• Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    For vampires, Scott Snyder's American Vampire is your thing. (From DC's Vertigo line)

• Options
    I shall look into it :)
    Anything supernatural interests me to be honest haha
  • Options
    ZhurrieZhurrie Posts: 617
    Wormwood (a lot of Ben Templesmith's work actually)
    Lady Mechanika - Best Steampunk comic out, but issues come out sporadically
    Graveyard of Empires
    The Strain
    Lock and Key
    Severed
    Joe Golem and the Drowning City
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    DEATH NOTE by Tsugumi Ohba and art by Takeshi Obata (both currently doing Bakuman)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_Note
    Genre: Mystery, Psychological thriller, Supernatural thriller, Drama

Light Yagami is an intelligent young adult who resents crime and corruption in the world. His life undergoes a drastic change when he discovers the Death Note, a notebook that contains five written instructions:

-The human whose name is written in this notebook will die.

-This notebook will not take effect unless the writer has the subject's face in their mind when writing his/her name. Therefore, people sharing the same name will not be affected.

-If the cause of death is written within 40 seconds of writing the subject's name, it will happen.

-If the cause of death is not specified, the subject will simply die of a heart attack.

-After writing the cause of death, the details of the death should be written in the next 6 minutes and 40 seconds.

I absolutely love, love this Manga. ^:)^
  • Options
    Zomg i love Death Note :3
    DEATH NOTE by Tsugumi Ohba and art by Takeshi Obata (both currently doing Bakuman)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_Note
    Genre: Mystery, Psychological thriller, Supernatural thriller, Drama

Light Yagami is an intelligent young adult who resents crime and corruption in the world. His life undergoes a drastic change when he discovers the Death Note, a notebook that contains five written instructions:

-The human whose name is written in this notebook will die.

-This notebook will not take effect unless the writer has the subject's face in their mind when writing his/her name. Therefore, people sharing the same name will not be affected.

-If the cause of death is written within 40 seconds of writing the subject's name, it will happen.

-If the cause of death is not specified, the subject will simply die of a heart attack.

-After writing the cause of death, the details of the death should be written in the next 6 minutes and 40 seconds.

I absolutely love, love this Manga. ^:)^
  • Options
    Wormwood (a lot of Ben Templesmith's work actually)
    Lady Mechanika - Best Steampunk comic out, but issues come out sporadically
    Graveyard of Empires
    The Strain
    Lock and Key
    Severed
    Joe Golem and the Drowning City
    I shall have a looky into all of these Lady Mechanika ive seen around because the artwork is bloody amazing :3 But yes thank you lots ^^
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    If you like Death Note, give Dorohedoro a try (Q Hayashida is the creator).

In a world where futuristic "sorcerers" experiment on the unfortunate denizens of "The Hole" a slum populated by freaks and rejects, one such failed "experiement" (head of a lizard, body of a man) works as a bounty hunter while also trying to find out just what happened to him, and avenge himself on the sorcerer who did it to him.

You like twisted? You want something decidedly different? This book is it.
  • Options
    Awesome i shall look into that too :D Thank you for your help peoples, please keep the ideas coming ^^
  • Options
    MiraclemetMiraclemet Posts: 258
    edited April 2012
    The Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service by Otsuka (another Manga)

5 students with different ESP/Occult type skills when it comes to the dead team up to help out the recently dead souls with whatever they need to come to peace.

Monster by Urasawa
    I dont want to ruin this concept for you so here's the publisher note:
    Brilliant doctor Kenzo Tenma risks his reputation and promising career to save the life of a critically wounded young boy. Unbeknownst to him, this child is destined for a terrible fate. Conspiracies, serial murders, and a scathing depiction of the underbelly of hospital politics are all masterfully woven together in this compelling manga thriller.

soooooo good....

soooooo freaky
  • Options
    kfreemankfreeman Posts: 314
    If you like Death Note, give Dorohedoro a try (Q Hayashida is the creator).

In a world where futuristic "sorcerers" experiment on the unfortunate denizens of "The Hole" a slum populated by freaks and rejects, one such failed "experiement" (head of a lizard, body of a man) works as a bounty hunter while also trying to find out just what happened to him, and avenge himself on the sorcerer who did it to him.

You like twisted? You want something decidedly different? This book is it.
    I tried so hard to like the first volume of this manga. But I just couldn't get into it. It was almost TOO non-sequitor and random for me. Kind of like a Japanese Tank Girl-type book.

It's ironic, because I think this is the first thing that Torch has recommended that I didn't dig.

• Options
    If you want dark and twisted, yet human, I'd suggest the manga Battle Royale.

From Amazon:

This manga adaptation of the popular and controversial Japanese film offers back stories before plunging into brutality and gore. Forty-two ninth graders embark on what they think is a graduation camping trip. Unbeknownst to them, they've been taken to the practically deserted island of Okishima to serve as the next contestants on The Program, a state-sponsored reality tv show. The show's premise is simple, if terrifying: within three days the participants must kill each other until only one student remains. But there's a twist: the students have been fitted with high-tech collars that track their vital signs. If central command detects no one has been killed within 24 hours, it will detonate the explosive bomb collars and kill them all. Each student receives supplies and sets off. Survival of the fittest becomes the greatest equalizer, since the teens are from all walks of life: the loner, the spoiled rich kid, the class clown, the daughter of a high-ranking official and even a few orphans. As protagonist Shuuya struggles to protect himself and his romantic interest, others try to outwit and kill one another. Friendships and allegiances come into question and reveal duplicity, betrayal, loyalty, cowardice and insanity.

• Options
    KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    something very new that looks pretty different so far is Whispers, only read the first 2 issues but I'm enjoying it (there may only be 2 issues so far) it's just building it's story right now but there's some elements of some dark twisted stuff happening
  • Options
    Maybe try some of the more offbeat stuff from the Mignolaverse like BPRD:1947, Witchfinder, or Lobster Johnson? I'm assuming that everyone has read Hellboy, so there's no need to tout that.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794

I tried so hard to like the first volume of this manga. But I just couldn't get into it. It was almost TOO non-sequitor and random for me. Kind of like a Japanese Tank Girl-type book.

It's ironic, because I think this is the first thing that Torch has recommended that I didn't dig.
    I'll confess it won't be for everyone, and it takes a few bits to really get going, but it's top-of-the-stack for me when it comes in. I also enjoy it because it flies in the face of those who say women create a "certain type" of comic. Q Hayashida pretty much disproves all that. She did ask for "twisted"... :)

• Options
    MikeGallagherMikeGallagher Posts: 547
    Lock and ky
    Hellboy
    Steampunk
    Lady mechanika
    30 days of night
    Parasyte (manga)
    City of silence
    Mr x
    Dawn
    Freak angels
    Albion
    Mysterious the unfathomable
    The unknown
    Baker street (one of my favorites)
    God machine
    Techno priests
  • Options
    KyleMoyerKyleMoyer Posts: 727

Steampunk
    When that book came out I was really psyched for it because I was loving everything Joe Kelly and/or Chris Bachalo was doing at the time.

Then the book came out.

I continued buying it, all the way up to either the end or close to the end. I'm not sure because to be honest I wasn't sure what was even happening in the book. It looked like there was something cool going on under the mess, but I couldn't make heads or tails out of it. I don't know if it was confusing writing, cluttered art or (most likely) both. I should dig the books out sometime and see if I can follow the series better now that I'm old and wise, but I've seen a lot of people with the same complaints as me regarding the book so I know it's not just me.

Beautiful art though. Hard to follow storywise, but great just to look at.
  • Options
    KyleMoyerKyleMoyer Posts: 727
    In retrospect, perhaps a good editor would have done wonders for the book, but that can be the problem sometimes with creator owned stuff. People have the mindset where the guy owning the book should just be let loose to do what he wants, but the ideal situation for a creator owned book is that there should be someone whether it's officially an editor or not, to give feedback and refine the work. Every creator from the creative genius to the guy who shouldn't even be doing this professionally needs to sometimes hear the word "no." Even if the person being told no ultimately gets their way, the fight to get their way involves enough creative wrangling that the good of their work comes to the surface and the not as good gets stifled. Or in other words, it's the difference between The Empire Strikes Back and The Phantom Menace.
  • Options
    QuinQuestionQuinQuestion Posts: 130
    I second Locke and Key, Death Note, and Battle Royale.
  • Options
    NegOrrNegOrr Posts: 1
    No one mentioned John Constantine. Am I the only one who likes it?
    I also highly recommend Death Note.
  • Options
    If you are looking for something "different" then you could try 'Tarot: Witch of the Black Rose'. It's "different."

Honestly, get DMZ in trade. Get Ex Machina in trade. Get something from GG Comics.
  • Options
    I like to think everyone is already reading hellblazer
  • Options
    I'm buying it in trades.... God, it'll be 70 years before they trade the new stuff.

What Hellblazer needs is about 12 HC volumes with 25 issues in each and just get them out of the way in 2 or 3 years. Damn DC trade policy.... why couldn't have that been rebooted at the same time.
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Posts: 62
    I really love the book 'Morning Glories' by image. it's bonkers. Set in an exclusive boarding school (which may or may not exist lol) with sinister goings on for all the new students enrolled. It reminds me of Season one of Lost, where Mystery is answered with more mystery. I find it compelling reading.
    Locke and Key is also amazing. I've noticed a few others mentioning this one. It's beautiful, slightly dark, magical with a healthy splash of humour.
  • Options
    JGalaJGala Posts: 19
    has anyone here read 'Living with Zombies' or 'When Zombies Attack' ?
    I picked up both during the 2007 zombie boom at Comic Con. Both stand fairly well for comedy-base/action - When Zombies Attack has a web-show too if you're interested, give em a shot!
  • Options
    Not me. Never could get into it.

Although as he's in Justice League Dark (or at least, the issue I'm on), I'm getting my Constantine fix.
  • Options
    The problem with Hellblazer for me is the fact I don't know where to start. Thankfully numbered trades are a good idea. I just want them now.

• Options
    I'm buying it in trades.... God, it'll be 70 years before they trade the new stuff.

What Hellblazer needs is about 12 HC volumes with 25 issues in each and just get them out of the way in 2 or 3 years. Damn DC trade policy.... why couldn't have that been rebooted at the same time.
    That would be perfect. Start with the swamp thing stories, include the minis and guest shots in vertigo titles and we would be set!

They have mishandled the trades from the get go. Even making them more confusing when the film came out. Now that they are doing them in order it's a better start but so slow.
  • Options
    ctowner1ctowner1 Posts: 481
    I've been reading it since issue 1 and just caught up on the last 60 issues over the past month. Still great stuff!

e
    L nny
  • Options
    60 issues in a month?!? Damn! You must know how to take advantage of demons pretty well now. And punk rock!