Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Free Comic Book Day - Post Your Haul!

Today is Free Comic Book Day! Be sure to swing by and post your hauls, experiences and more here in this thread!

Comments

• Options
    CalibanCaliban Posts: 1,358
    The 2000AD issue, actually two copies both signed by Tharg, Henry Flint and Tiernan Trevaillion (names only relevant to Brits probably), and hopefully getting them signed by John Wagner on Monday. One copy will be up on eBay as a charity auction for cancer research after that.

Also the Mouseguard HC which looks lovely and will be on its way to my Canadian nephew soon. Another comic book fan launched by Jamie D and CGS.
    Also the Bleeding Cool issue just because I like reading stuff about comics.

Big queue on a sunny morning outside Orbital comics in London where we were kept entertained by Deadpool singing Tom Jones numbers, and kept Bat-safe by 60s Batman whose mother sent him out with a vest. Proof that Batman believes the old English adage "Ne'er cast a clout till May is out."

• Options
    also this wasn't free by any means but in memory of Jamie and in the spirit of sadly missed friends day I bought this from the wall books at Gosh comics in London.

• Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Great find, @Caliban‌! And awesome store, too. I visited Gosh years ago on a London trip. It's sort of over by the British Museum, right?
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    edited May 2014
    Picked up my first ever 2000AD book. We'll see what all the hub bub is about. I am actually surprised at the gerth!

Bummed that my LCS didn't do more than they did (let's be honest, they never do anything anyway). The biggest event of the year for them and all it was was 3 free books and 25% off trades and 50% back issues. No costumes or special guests. No wonder I go there about twice a year.
  • Options
    @LibraryBoy‌ it's moved now, into the heart of trendy Soho. They always have artists painting new superheroes on the windows on FCBD, and inside they have a big table set up with pens and paper and kids making their own comics. It's a cool store
  • Options
    Caliban said:

Big queue on a sunny morning outside Orbital comics in London where we were kept entertained by Deadpool singing Tom Jones numbers, and kept Bat-safe by 60s Batman whose mother sent him out with a vest. Proof that Batman believes the old English adage "Ne'er cast a clout till May is out."

Sorry, not his mum obviously. My bad. Aunt Harriet perhaps?
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    I dropped by my LCS and picked up a copy of the second volume of Essential Avengers... and the owner gave me free copies of V-Wars, Grimm Fairy Tales, Avatar - The Last Airbender, Future's End, Guardians Of The Galaxy, and Rocket Raccoon!!!

I'll have to go back again... oh, wait -- that's just for today!? Only!?
  • Options
    JersenJersen Posts: 39
    fredzilla said:

Bummed that my LCS didn't do more than they did (let's be honest, they never do anything anyway). The biggest event of the year for them and all it was was 3 free books and 25% off trades and 50% back issues. No costumes or special guests. No wonder I go there about twice a year.

That sounds about like my LCSs here, both of which are owned by the same guy. He usually gets all of the major books and maybe some more minor ones, but he has ridiculous rules where you have limits on the free books based on purchase amount. I wasn't able to make it today anyway because I was working.
  • Options
    CageNarleighCageNarleigh Posts: 729
    WHEW. Left my apartment this morning right after posting this thread...JUST got back. Heckuva day. Where to begin?

First and foremost I stopped by the LCS (Tribe Comics and Games) where I have my sub and picked up my 5 free comics and a gift for a friend.

Then I swung by the big game in town (Austin Books and Comics) and picked up 10 MORE free comics...and said hello to my buddy McClain from CCP Comics.

Then I stopped by the discount comic store for A.B.C (Austin Books and...well, you get it) and picked up two packs of the 'Green Lantern: Rebirth' (one for myself and one for a contest for the LanternCast) and several of the Green and Red shield Superman comics I was missing. (loved all of the New Krypton - War of the Supermen stuff)

And lastly I finished the day at Capstone Comics and hung out with my artist friend Eroll See who did a quick Nexus sketch for me (and picked up 5 MORE free titles)...

And, when all was said and done, I walked away with all of this...

• Options
    i_am_scifii_am_scifi Posts: 784
    edited May 2014
    Went to JHU Comics and Montasy Comics Chapter 2. Most of the FCBD stuff came from Montasy as they were letting people take one of each if they wanted, while the trades and hardcovers came from JHU's Buy Two, Get One Free Anniversary sale. Invincible Universe Vol 1 was the free one.

• Options
    I say! Steady on, old bean.

• Options
    RickMRickM Posts: 407
    My city is down to two comic shops, and both of them imposed a 2-book limit per person. Glad I brought both my sons, which means we ended up with a fairly wide variety.

Both stores put the FCBD stuff on tables but they also put past years' items there as well. In one store I saw something from FCBD 2002. No idea if I was grabbing current stuff or not. I got a Paul Pope thing, Guardians of the Galaxy, some horrible looking DC thing where Wonder Woman was wearing something over her mouth, a Love and Rockets thing, and a Valiant thing. My smallest son was more excited about buying Doctor Who keychains and pins than in looking at comics, but hey, the comics aren't exactly grabbing me, either.

Both stores made a big deal out of the day, with hefty sales on back issues and trades and toys. One store had a table with four artists offering sketches. I had a good time despite having little cash this time.
  • Options
    NickNick Posts: 284
    I went to BuyMeToys in South Bend, they have a 5 book limit, which is fine by me. I was lucky enough to get the MouseGuard HC, it counted as 3 of your books, but that was fine since it's a FREE HARDCOVER. My other books were the Rocket Raccoon and Future's End books. The line to get the free books was out the door and around the building the entire day. This isn't a slight against the shop, they had about 75 different books to choose from, some were from previous FCBD, some were just books they had a lot of and wanted to get rid of, so it was challenging to pick your 5. I was glad to see the line to pay was long, seemed like almost everyone who got a free book bought something also. I've heard some LCS' say FCBD doesn't work for them, but this shop easily had 1000 customers that day.

My second stop was a brand new shop called Knappy's Comics, surprisingly only 8 minutes away from BuyMeToys. They had 5 book limit too, but the staff was super friendly and seemed to have read all the books to give you advice. I got a sampler of 8 mini comics that counted as only one book, 2000 AD, Hip Hop Family Tree, Uber, and Scam Artist (I think that was the name). They didn't have a sale, but 50% of everything you bought went to the Boys and Girls Club, so I thought that was a neat thing to do.

No artists this year, but had a lot of fun and got free books!
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    I missed FCBD? Damn... what has become of me?