Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Wizard World adds 7 new venues for 2014.

Comments

• Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    Is it bad to say that I'm thankful that Denver didn't make the list? Actually I don't care, I'm glad Denver is not on the list. :-q
  • Options
    Fade2BlackFade2Black Posts: 1,457
    edited September 2013
    I've never attended a Wizard World con, but now that one will be held in Sacramento I'm sorely tempted to go. Ever since WonderCon left the Bay Area, there's been a mainstream comic book convention void. San Jose's Big Wow con is doing its best to fill that void, but despite its efforts to expand, it's still a relatively low key con. Granted, the loss of WonderCon has boosted Big Wow's attendance levels, but Big Wow's attendance still pales in comparison to the crowds WonderCon used to draw. In my opinion, Big Wow doesn't promote the way it should. There are far too many Bay Area folks who are die-hard comic collectors but have never even heard of Big Wow. I'm hoping the addition of another Northern California Con will prompt Big Wow to be more aggressive in its promotional efforts. Two Northern California "mainstream" (I make that distinction for San Francisco is still home to the Alternative Press Expo) comic conventions mean there will be two expos competing for patron's $$$, and when that happens the attendees are the ones who usually benefit.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Good to see Louisville is getting a convention, but I'm equally glad they haven't tried to tap into the Phoenix market...it's all I can do to keep up with the two we currently have...
  • Options

I've never attended a Wizard World con, but now that one will be held in Sacramento I'm sorely tempted to go. Ever since WonderCon left the Bay Area, there's been a mainstream comic book convention void. San Jose's Big Wow con is doing its best to fill that void, but despite its efforts to expand, it's still a relatively low key con. Granted, the loss of WonderCon has boosted Big Wow's attendance levels, but Big Wow's attendance still pales in comparison to the crowds WonderCon used to draw. In my opinion, Big Wow doesn't promote the way it should. There are far too many Bay Area folks who are die-hard comic collectors but have never even heard of Big Wow. I'm hoping the addition of another Northern California Con will prompt Big Wow to be more aggressive in its promotional efforts. Two Northern California "mainstream" (I make that distinction for San Francisco is still home to the Alternative Press Expo) comic conventions mean there will be two expos competing for patron's $$$, and when that happens the attendees are the ones who usually benefit.

That's exactly what I was thinking. They really need to bring back Wondercon or have Image Expo be during the weekends and open to the public.
  • Options
    I'm curious to see what happens in some of the markets they're moving into that already have cons. San Antonio, Portland & St. Louis all have one or two established cons.
  • Options
    As I am not a con attendee (it's been 20 years since I last attended a comic convention), what's the knock against Wizard World conventions? I'm kind of intrigued to see one coming to Nashville, but not seeing a lot of positive views on the event.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794

As I am not a con attendee (it's been 20 years since I last attended a comic convention), what's the knock against Wizard World conventions? I'm kind of intrigued to see one coming to Nashville, but not seeing a lot of positive views on the event.

Apparently Wizard's deal is to buy up or buy out a city's existing convention(s) or schedule a Wizard Con as closely as they can to a city's existing con to split the cost and drive them out - thus making a Wizard convention the only game in town.

Apparently they've tried this with the three (3) conventions Arizona has for the past few years and have met with no success and a lot of pushback. We like our conventions the way they are.

I can't speak to the convention itself as I've never been to one, but I've heard a lot of people don't really approve of this practice. I can pretty much see why.

• Options
    When I saw this announced last week, I wondered if they were going to try and compete with Derby City Comic Con. Suprisingly, they decided to go a several months away from DCCC's dates. I've been tempted to try the one in Columbus but never pulled the trigger. If there is a chance to meet the likes of Mike Zeck, Chris Claremont and Mike Grell, I may have to give it a try next year when it comes to my town.
  • Options
    NickNick Posts: 284

I go to Wizard Chicago every year, and have gone for about 11 straight years. The issue most have is the movement away from comics to more "celebrities" that range from B-list to washed up wrestlers. The movement away from comics is said because they seem to get fewer big name mainstream creators and have more up and comers. WWC usually has a handful of awesome guests (one year was the entire 100 Bullets team, Alan Davis, etc.), but not many other Marvel/DC creators. I personally like seeing the lesser known people who do dirt cheap sketches, but I do miss seeing gaggles of DC people.
  • Options
    For the most part, it seems like the Wizard hating has died down. When they started Austin Comic Con, a lot of TX comic creators seemed wary but now after a few years of attending the show, it seems most enjoy it. The one knock I do hear often from my comic creator friends is the cost of a table. It seems to go up every year. It's $325 this year.
  • Options
    jeffreykjeffreyk Posts: 1
    edited May 2014
    fredzilla said:

Is it bad to say that I'm thankful that Denver didn't make the list? Actually I don't care, I'm glad Denver is not on the list. :-q

I would have absolutely loved to see Wizard World buyout Denver Comic-Con to make it Wizard World Denver in 2014. I still hope that becomes a possibility for 2015. The Denver Comic-Con had some major registration and attendance issues in 2013 -- none of which I ever experienced with a Wizard World Comic-Con. Additionally, when my wife and I purchased our tickets to the DCC for this June, we got a disclaimer stating that buying a pass for the event doesn't guarantee admittance to the Con. I've never seen a Comic-Con state that, ever. The folks at the DCC did a great job at first but, with the increasing attendance year after year and with the growth potential in the next few years to rival the 100,000+ attendees at larger cons like the SDCC and New York Comic-Con, I don't think the current management at the DCC is capable of handling a very large Comic-Con. I believe Wizard World would give Con fans in the Denver area a much better show with an even better guest line-up that the Wizard World Con Circuit is known for.

• Options
    SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445

1) They try to dominate a market. If they can't buy the local con, they plop down a week or two before it and try to scorch the earth.

2) They treat comic creators poorly. If you aren't Jim Lee or Neal Adams, you can expect overpriced tables, being shoved in the most out-of-the-way place possible and treated as if you are pondscum by the staff. DC and Marvel have nothing to do with them any more after repeatedly engaging in bad business practices

3) Good luck finding comics dealers. They want high end exhibitors and charge outrageously for tables.

4) They are autograph mills. Want to buy Shatner's autograph for $350? This is the place for you. Want to get some indy comics and find out what cool stuff is in comic shops? Keep moving and buy Chris Jericho's autograph or get out.

5) They call themselves comic cons. They aren't. They are for SF Actors and media stars.

They strike me as the same as Wizard magazine - all of the worst the hobby has to offer in one place.
  • Options
    NickNick Posts: 284

1) They try to dominate a market. If they can't buy the local con, they plop down a week or two before it and try to scorch the earth.

2) They treat comic creators poorly. If you aren't Jim Lee or Neal Adams, you can expect overpriced tables, being shoved in the most out-of-the-way place possible and treated as if you are pondscum by the staff. DC and Marvel have nothing to do with them any more after repeatedly engaging in bad business practices

3) Good luck finding comics dealers. They want high end exhibitors and charge outrageously for tables.

4) They are autograph mills. Want to buy Shatner's autograph for $350? This is the place for you. Want to get some indy comics and find out what cool stuff is in comic shops? Keep moving and buy Chris Jericho's autograph or get out.

5) They call themselves comic cons. They aren't. They are for SF Actors and media stars.

They strike me as the same as Wizard magazine - all of the worst the hobby has to offer in one place.

Obviously Wizard World is not what it once was, but I still have a good time at WW Chicago. They seem to try and get a handful of rare famous creators and then a slew of indy people. I like sketches, so WW is the best place for cheap sketches from unknown (yet) creators. My issue with them is the ticket price. 3 years ago it was $50 for a weekend pass, this year with fees its $105. C2E2 is still only $50, I think it's getting a little expensive for a con (in my opinion).
  • Options

This ^

They are doing this to Heroes again. The scheduled ATL at the first of June and the Philadelphia on the exact same weekend.

You will never catch me giving those turds money.

P.S. Hello from a long time ago.
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    I'm still glad it's not in Denver, but with prices this year and the way DCC seem to be going with everything else, it's kinda like they already have. It really should be Denver Geek Culture Con. It seems they're promoting more ancilatory stuff and comics less. And this from a con that's supposed to be literacy centered. :-??
  • Options
    ajcasperiteajcasperite Posts: 221
    I may have an opportunity to go this year to the Philly one with my kid but it appears to be fairly expensive just to get into the door, is it worth it??
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314

This ^

They are doing this to Heroes again. The scheduled ATL at the first of June and the Philadelphia on the exact same weekend.

Mongoose!

They stole Buzz from us this year.
  • Options
    CageNarleighCageNarleigh Posts: 729

For the most part, it seems like the Wizard hating has died down. When they started Austin Comic Con, a lot of TX comic creators seemed wary but now after a few years of attending the show, it seems most enjoy it. The one knock I do hear often from my comic creator friends is the cost of a table. It seems to go up every year. It's $325 this year.

Do you attend the Wizard World Austin show? I go every year. The people at Wizard (well, one particular person) are great at hooking me up with a Press Pass to do interviews. I didn't know who was from Austin on the forums....
  • Options
    WetRats said:

This ^

Mongoose!

They stole Buzz from us this year.
    I know. will not be the same.