Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Gotham: TV Series (trailer)

Comments

• hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    I'd be far more likely to be all in, but for the fact that it's on Fox. I have little to no faith in their programming execs to actually support the shows that are airing without juggling schedules and otherwise playing 'hide the show.'
  • BraxtonBraxton Posts: 2
    I'll be catching this show on the backend – DVD style. The emotions of getting involved as it is released is just something my heart can't handle.
  • Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Wow! I think it looks amazing.
  • jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    I can almost guarantee that this show will be aired in the incorrect order.
  • GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    edited May 2014
    I initially had zero interest in this, thinking otherwise now.
  • jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    I will always try a show that is based on a comic. Whether I stay with it or not is another story.
  • kiwijasekiwijase Posts: 451
    If nothing else, it looks to be a good, solid noir crime drama. If they're able to weave in the batman related elements in an organic way, this could be a winner.
  • playdohsrepublicplaydohsrepublic Posts: 1,377
    The big question is are they going to overdo it with the "before they were" stuff. All the scenes from the trailer are from just the pilot and we get Bruce, Selina, penguin, riddler and poison ivy...
  • WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Rather than the long-traditional conceit that Batman's presence inspires the manifestation of so many freaks and psychos, it appears that this show will be based on the premise that there's something about Gotham itself that creates all the freaks and psychos, and Batman will be either the ultimate expression of that trend, or a reaction to it, depending on your interpretation.
  • playdohsrepublicplaydohsrepublic Posts: 1,377
    WetRats said:

Rather than the long-traditional conceit that Batman's presence inspires the manifestation of so many freaks and psychos, it appears that this show will be based on the premise that there's something about Gotham itself that creates all the freaks and psychos, and Batman will be either the ultimate expression of that trend, or a reaction to it, depending on your interpretation.

That conceit only exists because no writer or artist ever needed to create two-face or scarecrow before batman was created, and from a fictional perspective it's hard to justify that all these villains cropped up only after batman appeared. If you are creating a universe where Batman doesn't exist, but will someday it makes sense to establish a pattern beforehand where batman is a logical reaction to Gotham's inherent insanity.
  • MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    edited May 2014

WetRats said:

That conceit only exists because no writer or artist ever needed to create two-face or scarecrow before batman was created, and from a fictional perspective it's hard to justify that all these villains cropped up only after batman appeared. If you are creating a universe where Batman doesn't exist, but will someday it makes sense to establish a pattern beforehand where batman is a logical reaction to Gotham's inherent insanity.
    If you look at his rogues through criminology, they were always going to be villains. Its through the emergence of Batman that they became supervillains. Escalation motivated most of the rogues to don costumes & use their obsessions as motifs.

Theoretically, you can spotlight them before they become rogues because Nygma was always into puzzles & being a criminal. Cobblepot always had his deformity & thirst for power. Isley was always interested in plants. Batman didn't create any of those.

DA Janet Van Dorn's closing argument was that he (Batman) didn't create them; they (the rogues) created him.

M
  • CageNarleighCageNarleigh Posts: 729

@Matt = Travis Langley? Whaaaaa? :-O
  • batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    Gordon and bullock (their actors) are clearly gonna be the strength of the show and make it watchable. I can already tell Selina will be annoying and I already dislike whoever fish mooney is and she's going to be way overused.
  • JaxUrJaxUr Posts: 547
    My prediction: Jada Pinkett Smith will be killed off in the season finale by the Joker.

The show is a good opportunity to have episodes around some of the lower tier Bat villains. I'd like to see Calendar Man, Nocturna, Cat Man, etc. Hell, since it's Fox why not use updated versions of Bookworm, King Tut, & Egghead?
    JaxUr said:

My prediction: Jada Pinkett Smith will be killed off in the season finale by the Joker.

The show is a good opportunity to have episodes around some of the lower tier Bat villains. I'd like to see Calendar Man, Nocturna, Cat Man, etc. Hell, since it's Fox why not use updated versions of Bookworm, King Tut, & Egghead?

I can see them crowbarring Joker in like that...but then that definitely confirms my biggest concern; the Rogues are a decade older then Batman.

It'd be more interesting if they had the Red Hood running about. Establish the character as a legacy type character. The identity is always unknown, so 1 could get killed & someone new could always take up the mantle. Keep it in the vain of Red John. The Red Hood could serve as Gordon's arch enemy though the series (which ultimately creates Batman's.)

M
  • little_witchlittle_witch Posts: 185
    Matt said:

I can see them crowbarring Joker in like that...but then that definitely confirms my biggest concern; the Rogues are a decade older then Batman.

It'd be more interesting if they had the Red Hood running about. Establish the character as a legacy type character. The identity is always unknown, so 1 could get killed & someone new could always take up the mantle. Keep it in the vain of Red John. The Red Hood could serve as Gordon's arch enemy though the series (which ultimately creates Batman's.)

M

I have an issue with the ages as well, I always thought people like the riddler were a couple of years older than batman, not a decade.

Matt said:

M

I have an issue with the ages as well, I always thought people like the riddler were a couple of years older than batman, not a decade.
    That's one of my bigger turn offs to the series. There's 2 others someone expressed to me:

1.) the pilot shows a frustrated Gordon 'handling' Cobblepot like Bullock suggested...so how long before he becomes somewhat corrupted by Gotham

2.) if Gordon comes across most of the Rogues before Batman even appears, would Gordon really need him? He's already dealt with their 'hang ups' before. He'd be more familiar with them then Batman...and they're HIS rogues!

M
  • little_witchlittle_witch Posts: 185
    Very true, Gordon was always the straight guy that's why he worked
  • batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    edited May 2014
    Matt said:

Matt said:

M

That's one of my bigger turn offs to the series. There's 2 others someone expressed to me:

1.) the pilot shows a frustrated Gordon 'handling' Cobblepot like Bullock suggested...so how long before he becomes somewhat corrupted by Gotham

2.) if Gordon comes across most of the Rogues before Batman even appears, would Gordon really need him? He's already dealt with their 'hang ups' before. He'd be more familiar with them then Batman...and they're HIS rogues!

M
    Yeah, sounds like its gonna be hard not painting their star/hero Gordon as ultimately pretty ineffective or incapable. And or it'll be a bit silly IMO if Gordon loses his ability to best cobblepot for example simply because he gets fat and starts carrying a trick umbrella. The rogues grow more dangerous yet Gordon grows less capable or competent?

• JaxUrJaxUr Posts: 547
    In case you missed the Flash teaser that aired last night,,,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnXsnR-2AvU