Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Quicksilver & Scarlet Witch conundrum (?)

Ok, I think I’ve spotted a problem in the Marvel Movie-verse. Someone check me to see if I’m right because, to my knowledge, no one else has picked up on this…
*Before I get into it: SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS! ok, now that that’s over…*
Here’s the thing… Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch appear in Days of Future Past as well as the Winter Soldier. In X-Men, Quicksilver is a relatively young man, recruited in “the past”. It’s not the 60s, because Quicksilver is wearing headphones, so it’s probably the early 80s, based on when the original story was published, but, also because the characters don’t appear too much older than when they appeared in First Class.
Quicksilver & Scarlet Witch ALSO appear in the post-scene in the Winter Soldier. “The Twins”, as they’re called, do not appear to be twins in the stills from Days of Future Past that I have seen. Wanda is clearly younger, by several years, than Pietro. This leads to several obvious questions:
A) HOW CAN THEY BE TWINS?!?!
B) If they play a significant role in Days of Future Past, do they get captured during the course of the film and turned over to S.H.I.E.L.D./Hydra?
C) If so, what makes them think that they’re twins?
D) Am I over thinking this? Should I just see them as two different sets of characters in two different franchises with two different studios and leave it at that? Or,
E) Have I just found a continuity bomb that will explode all over the internet in a month?
We shall see...

Comments

• Options
    CageNarleighCageNarleigh Posts: 729
    WE will know it's two different franchises. The regular audience won't care. The regular audience with knowledge that the characters are based in the Marvel universe...their heads will implode.
  • Options
    BrackBrack Posts: 868
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Go with D).

FOX and Disney don't play together but legally share a few characters.
  • Options
    BrackBrack Posts: 868
    The reveal of them early in Winter Soldier before their proper debut in Avengers 2 feels like Marvel are trying to make the X-Men versions come across like sub-par knockoffs of the "official" Marvel ones. Which may have been unnecessary given Future Past Quicksilver's terrible hair.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    DoFP is set in the 70s. I'm curious how much info is given about them in either movie. There's a chance both movies dance around info presented in the other.

M
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    I'm still freaking out that we're getting *ANY* version of Pietro and Wanda on the big screen. I never thought I'd see the day...
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
  • Options
    jkkeller914jkkeller914 Posts: 58
    I'm confused. It's two different movies, in (at least) two different movie 'universes'. You're not expecting them to connect, are you?
  • Options
    crash41crash41 Posts: 27
    i wasn't before i realized that they were, indeed, making 2 different versions of the same characters. i was under the impression that, legally, they weren't allowed to do that... 2 different studios, and all...
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    edited May 2014
    It seems like a lot of people here are picking the "D"...

I'm sorry. I'll let myself out now...
  • Options
    tazmaniaktazmaniak Posts: 733
    crash41 said:

i wasn't before i realized that they were, indeed, making 2 different versions of the same characters. i was under the impression that, legally, they weren't allowed to do that... 2 different studios, and all...

There are legalities involved, but they're a little shady. Many people have wondered about the details of various comic book rights over the years, but the details are never revealed. Back in 2009 (when Disney purchased Marvel), excepts from Fox's 1992 deal with Marvel for the X-Men film rights were online for a time.

The contracts stated that Fox would have access to the characters created within the X-Men comics up until that point and after. The contracts featured a long list of X-Men characters Fox had compiled that would fall under their license. The ambiguous part of the contracts stated Fox would also have the rights to use any other character closely associated with the X-Men that aided in them telling the story they wanted to tell.

According to Kevin Feige, there are a few characters who fall into a legal gray area, but not many of them. Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver are 2 of them. From what I remember, the duo weren't listed along with those other characters in the contracts, which puts them in said grey area. Even though Fox didn't list them, they fall into the category of characters closely associated with the X-Men. That allows Fox to use them without legal ramifications from Marvel Studios. That being said, because Fox never claimed them in the contracts, Marvel Studios is also able to use them without legal ramifications from Fox.

The Skrulls are also characters that both Fox and Marvel Studios can use. I don't know the facts behind the Fantastic Four deal, or how similar it is to the X-Men deal, but it's pretty much the same thing. They're up for grabs.

Viper/Madame HYDRA is yet another character in that grey area. As we know, Viper was a major character in The Wolverine, as well as in Fox's Nick Fury telefilm from the 90's. Viper wasn't created in the X-Men comics and wasn't listed with the other characters in the contracts, but she is closely associated with Wolverine. That allows Fox to use her, even though they don't explicitly own the rights to her.

As for Marvel Studios, Viper was created in the Captain America comics and I believe made most of her appearances in Avengers related titles. I believe this makes her part of the Captain America license. This allows both studios to use her, though Fox can't use her Madame HYDRA moniker.
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    And, in the comics, they are indeed twins.
  • Options
    sandmansandman Posts: 199
    I have to wonder why both studios are determined to use those characters. They're fine characters and all, but there are a wealth of characters available to the Avengers. I have to wonder why Avengers wouldn't look to other characters if X-Men want Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch.

I don't have a problem with it myself, but I could see audiences being confused by the two different set of characters who are supposed to be the same, but will be different in the two movies. It easy to think that because of those similar characters people will try to make connections between the two movie universes when there isn't one.
  • Options
    sandman said:

I have to wonder why both studios are determined to use those characters. They're fine characters and all, but there are a wealth of characters available to the Avengers. I have to wonder why Avengers wouldn't look to other characters if X-Men want Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch.

I don't have a problem with it myself, but I could see audiences being confused by the two different set of characters who are supposed to be the same, but will be different in the two movies. It easy to think that because of those similar characters people will try to make connections between the two movie universes when there isn't one.

I hope people do try to make connections. It'll get them thinking more like us.

A properly-seasoned geek can come up with an explanation for any anomaly.
  • Options
    Seriously, though, worrying about whether audiences will be confused tends to lead to dumbing things down.
  • Options
    tazmaniaktazmaniak Posts: 733
    edited May 2014
    sandman said:

If anyone was going to, it seems like Singer/Fox should have backed off this one. According to Singer, Quicksilver only has a small part in the film, but he felt the character was the only one who fit that particular pivotal scene. On the other hand, Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch play a prominent part of Age of Ultron and much like Singer, Whedon felt those two were the only characters who fit the story he wanted to tell.

Fox is barely using Pietro and not using Wanda at all, while Marvel is making them central characters in Age of Ultron and probably future films.
  • Options
    And, in regards to publishing history, while the two were introduced in X-Men they spent much more time with the Avengers. Especially Scarlet Witch.
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    that DoFP costume design is terrible.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    If I was running Marvel Studios, I'd be sure to incorporate all the gray area characters ASAP. That way audience will make the connection with their universe first. It might also reduce the chances the other studios will use or focus time on those characters.

M
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    Matt said:

If I was running Marvel Studios, I'd be sure to incorporate all the gray area characters ASAP. That way audience will make the connection with their universe first. It might also reduce the chances the other studios will use or focus time on those characters.

M

That isn't a bad idea. I tell you though. I think Marvel Studios has done such a great job of taking their time and consitently putting quality stuff out there that even non-geeks are beginning to recognize the Marvel Studios brand as distinct from the marvel movies cranked out by Sony and Fox. There is a specific (and i think deliberate) style to the Marvel movies. Becasue of that I don't think they need to make a scramble to put their imprint on any particular characters (grey or otherwise) because once they do decide to use a character their version is dominant by default.
  • Options
    Marvel still benefits quite a bit from the movies produced by other studios.

Their exposure to the public is at least doubled, as they wouldn't be able to produce that many additional movies per year.

Notice that all the licensed features still feature the Marvel logo in every preview.

It all builds brand awareness.

Most non-geeks don't even realize it's not all one big franchise.

And there are certainly royalties involved as well.

While, as a fan, I'd love to see Marvel able to incorporate their "orphaned" characters into the MCU, I doubt their accounting department is crying over the arrangement.
  • Options
    random73 said:

that DoFP costume design is terrible.

It's got a lot of Joel Schumacher in it.