Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Avengers Assemble Trade

Im always looking for pre-disassembled trades from Marvel but as thats when their TPB boom seemed to start its hard. Anyway, I wasnt reading Avengers before Disassembled but would like to try and catch up a bit. I found this Avengers Assemble trade which seems to be from the 1998 Avengers series, anyone whos read the trade or that series, is it any good?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Avengers-Assemble-Vol-Kurt-Busiek/dp/0785144986/ref=sr_1_5?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1335261222&sr=1-5

Comments

• Options
    KyleMoyerKyleMoyer Posts: 727
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
  • Options
    +1
    It's classic stuff.

chris
  • Options
    Thanks guys, glad to hear it. I'll order it now so it'll go well with seeing the movie on Thursday.

There any particularly good stories in this run? Avengers always seem to be a weak spot for me before Disassembled, apart from the big ones that most people know of course.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    It was excellent!
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    You can't go wrong with Kurt Busiek!
    Get it!
    ...and while you are at it, get Busiek's Avengers Forever
  • Options
    I was just looking into Avengers Forever actually. Where does it fit in?
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    You can't go wrong with Kurt Busiek!
    Get it!
    ...and while you are at it, get Busiek's Avengers Forever
    ...And JLA/Avengers.
  • Options
    I haven't read anything since Busiek left, but his work was spot on. Some of the best Avengers stories of all time. I'd also recommend the Roy Thomas stuff from the sixties and anything by Roger Stern or Steve Englehart. Plus, the first 50 or so issues of West Coast Avengers were great as well.
  • Options
    There was a great Ultron story if you're asking about particular Avengers stories but that might be in the second trade actually. And I'm actually going to disagree with Avengers Forever but not because of the quality of the book. At the time I was loving Busiek's Avengers run so I bought the series since it was written by him. Before that run on the Avengers I read some scattered issues here and there but was not overly familiar with their history. I had no idea what was going on in that book. It all went way over my head.
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    There was a great Ultron story if you're asking about particular Avengers stories but that might be in the second trade actually.
    "Ultron Unlimited" - Ultron at his most Evil, classic Avengers storytelling!

I had no idea what was going on in that book. It all went way over my head.
    I'll give you that. It is pretty heavy on Avengers history (but what a great history it is!) Obviously Busiek's love letter to the Avengers. Regardless, it is Carlos Pacheco art at the absolute top of his game and worth it for that alone.
  • Options
    Well ive ordered the first volume, I think I will probably buy the rest to get caught up as much as possible then get Forever.

Also ive already got the JLA/Avengers trade which I enjoyed.
  • Options
    MiraclemetMiraclemet Posts: 258
    I was just looking into Avengers Forever actually. Where does it fit in?
    considering the time traveling continuity hopping plotline I would say it fits in everywhere, and nowhere...

I read it after the first dozen issues of the Busiek/Perez Avengers and it worked....
  • Options
    Now that I'm at a computer instead of my phone, I looked it up and yes the Ultron story I'm thinking of was in the second trade paperback. It was actually a little bit later in the run than I thought (I thought it was in the mid-teens rather than late-teens/early twenties) and is actually the last story (plus one one-issue story afterward) in the 2nd volume.
  • Options
    HappenstanceHappenstance Posts: 113
    Finished reading Volume 1 last night and really enjoyed it. Writing felt slightly dated at times with a bit too much emphasis on telling me what was happening on the page but apart from that I thought it was great. Its been nice to read some Avengers stuff that I wasnt familiar with.

Hopefully should be able to order Volumes 2 and 3 tomorrow.
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    Yes. Absolutely and I loved it. It was a great line-up, great art and really cool stories.