Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Moved This Past Weekend, Realized I have too much STUFF!!!! (Digital Help!)

So, as previously stated, I moved this past weekend from a one bedroom into student housing. I'm doing this to reduce living expenses and pay off my personal debt before I'm married or have kids (not that either are currently in the works). Moving always makes people cognizant of how much stuff they truly have but this time in particular...I was HIGHLY aware of the sheer amount I own.

MOSTLY books and comics. I couldn't stop thinking, with every box, "MAN this would be SO much easier if I just had to move ONE tablet and not 10 boxes!"

I know you can get stuff via comixology and amazon and stuff....but honestly folks? I already bought the PHYSICAL copies of all of this stuff, I don't want to invest that same money (or I guess slightly less) for the digital copies of EVERYTHING. (Don't worry, I'm not asking for help acquiring illegal copies of stuff) That being said, I've got a few questions for the community.

Are there tablets out there capable of reading CBR files? Or, if not, can you easily convert CBR to PDF?
How about storage on a tablet?
Do any tablets take/support SD cards? If so, whats the maximum GB limit they can handle?
Wouldn't transferring the digital comics to a separate SD card rather than all on the internal storage of the tablet be a better idea?
Would it REALLY save that much space?
Is it reliable?
How about ebooks?
What file format do THEY have to be in to function on a tablet?
What's the typical size of a single issue CBR file vs a CBR file of a TPB?

All of this (and everything I haven't asked that you think is necessary) I would GREATLY appreciate your help with.

Comments

• Options
    NickNick Posts: 284
    Not sure I can answer all of those, but depending on the quality most CBRs or CBZs are about 20-30 MB unless they are super high resolution. I use ComicZeal, it's like a $5 app and reads CBZ, CBR, and PDFs. iPads don't take USB drives, but I know the new Surface tablets from Microsoft do. I have a 16GB iPad, and it holds a few hundred comics easily. It's not super simple to load files onto the iPad, but it's not that tough either.

In terms of space I mean if you get one trade electronically instead fo the paper you are already saving space. I've sold about 8 longboxes of singles and maybe 5 longboxes of trades over the past year. I've gotten the digital of most of them, and it is nice. For me it's a little more hassle to load something on the iPad instead of just grabbing it off the shelf, but I think it's worth it for titles I don't read often.
  • Options
    CageNarleighCageNarleigh Posts: 729
    Oh I don't plan on getting rid of EVERYTHING. Old comics, indy trades I'm unlikely to find digitally, etc. I'll keep those.

And the single issues that have never been traded that I plan to get bound (Static, Fury of Firestorm, etc.) I'll keep around too. I just can't do this anymore with so much weight. 3rd floor apartment. Man I'm beat.
  • Options
    CageNarleighCageNarleigh Posts: 729
    I'm thinking the Surface Pro 3. I finally saw a commercial for it. Thoughts?