Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

#SDCC - The San Diego Comic Con 2014 News Thread!

2»

Comments

• GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    July 28, 2017 - Guardians of the Galaxy 2
  • WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314

hauberk said:

Guys? Is that Vision? My INITIAL reaction was Magneto...then I realized they'd get all kinds of hell for doing that. So Vision? Or someone else?

I thought Vision as soon as I saw it.
    They already announced Vision was in it and who was playing him months ago.
    I understand that. Apologies.

I just didn't hear much of a hooplah about it so I kinda forgot/figured it COULD be a rumor.
    No need to apologize. I just wish they'd have shown more conisdering it's not really a reveal.
    I think it reveals how minor a role Vision will play.
  • WetRats said:

hauberk said:

Guys? Is that Vision? My INITIAL reaction was Magneto...then I realized they'd get all kinds of hell for doing that. So Vision? Or someone else?

I thought Vision as soon as I saw it.
    They already announced Vision was in it and who was playing him months ago.
    I understand that. Apologies.

I just didn't hear much of a hooplah about it so I kinda forgot/figured it COULD be a rumor.
    No need to apologize. I just wish they'd have shown more conisdering it's not really a reveal.
    I think it reveals how minor a role Vision will play.

He'll probably be the Hawkeye of the film.
  • SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445
    Amazing to me how little comic book news was released. Chuck Rozanski of Mail High has the right idea.
  • Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    edited July 2014
    @SolitaireRose‌ does Kirby's Lord of Lights in Heavy Metal interest you at all? I thought it was sort of an odd pairing.
  • RickMRickM Posts: 407
    I hope Rozanski follows through and skips San Diego next year. He's raising some serious concerns about where retailing might be headed if the publishers continue to sell exclusives directly to consumers. Yikes.
    Mr_Cosmic said:

@SolitaireRose‌ does Kirby's Lord of Lights in Heavy Metal interest you at all? I thought it was sort of an odd pairing.

I think it'll be nice to get it into print, and I like portfolios. I can't see a lot of interest in it, however. Those portfolios that were so big in the 70's and early 80's seem to have completely disappeared in modern comics...

• FlagwaverFlagwaver Posts: 140
    I attended Comic-Con from 2002 until 2011 and I certainly don't remember DC or Marvel selling exclusives at their booths. I know that Top Cow, Aspen, and other smaller publishers sold exclusives at their booths but not the big two. Has that changed?
  • RepoManRepoMan Posts: 327
    Ew. That video has nothing to do with San Diego news. Tasteless. Not not very safe for work considering the image. Can it be removed please?
  • David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,884
    I removed the post linking to the video in question. If you want to go put this somewhere else with a NSFW warning, so be it. But that rubbish is not what this topic is about, and, speaking personally, adding traffic to that sort of video encourages behavior at cons that I think detracts from the hobby and is bad for the medium. Thanks. If the poster has any questions about that decision, please PM me.

Back to the topic.
  • luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    I can't remember where I read it, but sure I saw somewhere that IDW will be publishing a Garbage Pail Kids anthology type book next year. I loved those as a kid and collected as many as I could get my hands on. Had stickers stuck everywhere. Remember my parents not being particularly happy having a Snot Rope Hope stuck on the front door. Making me chuckle just thinking about it. Good times. I'll be all over that book.
    luke52 said:

I can't remember where I read it, but sure I saw somewhere that IDW will be publishing a Garbage Pail Kids anthology type book next year. I loved those as a kid and collected as many as I could get my hands on. Had stickers stuck everywhere. Remember my parents not being particularly happy having a Snot Rope Hope stuck on the front door. Making me chuckle just thinking about it. Good times. I'll be all over that book.

I loved these cards too! My best friend and I both collected them until his mom saw the one with the Boy Scout roasting a human hand over a fire. My parents just laughed about it. Funny thing is as a parent I don't think I'd let my kids collect them..I'm more strict than my own parents...which is a scary thought...excuse me..I need to go do some soul searching...

• luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    Mr_Cosmic said:

luke52 said:

I loved these cards too! My best friend and I both collected them until his mom saw the one with the Boy Scout roasting a human hand over a fire. My parents just laughed about it. Funny thing is as a parent I don't think I'd let my kids collect them..I'm more strict than my own parents...which is a scary thought...excuse me..I need to go do some soul searching...

Haha. Soul searching... Or just digging out your old stickers???

Funnily enough my brother got back off holiday a few weeks ago. He brought back a couple packs of unopened stickers from an really 90's series. I couldn't help myself but open them. All these old memories came flooding back. Also got a spiderman homage in a pack, Spider Manny.

Must admit some of them are pretty graphic for kids stickers though.
  • HexHex Posts: 944
    edited July 2014
    Off topic... but, speaking of Garbage Pail Kids...

there was a great exhibit at the Vancouver Art Gallery last year on Art Spiegelman. They had a HUGE wall of all the Wacky Pack & Garbage Pail Kids stickers. They even had packs of the stickers for sale in the gift shop. I was lucky enough to attend a great lecture with Mr. Spiegelman, where he reminisced about his life's work.

http://youtu.be/It9-6W3hecw
    luke52 said:

I started working at Shinder's (a magazine/comics/baseball card/pron shop) right after the craze had died out, and was able to pick up most of the later sets for next to nothing. I recognized many of the artists as underground artists, and loved them...they reminded me of "Wacky Packages" which I'd loved as a kid.

How fun would it be if IDW was able to get a bunch of 90's alt/indy creators like Peter Bagge, Evan Dorkin, Mark Martin and others to work on the series!
    edited July 2014
    I was happy to hear we finally got a date and artist announced for the Fight Club 2 comic(which is a sequel to the novel/movie). I loved the original book and movie and I have high hopes for this.
  • bamfbamfbamfbamf Posts: 718
    edited July 2014
    sitting is no longer allowed at comicon?

http://youtu.be/3VUVC8YqPg4
    edited July 2014
    And the winner of Comic Con is... - Nerdist News @ SDCC w/ Jessica Chobot
    http://youtu.be/hFTvfVh1B64
    DC VS MARVEL: Who Won Comic-Con?
    http://youtu.be/9zOpVj8D0N4
    San Diego Comic Con 2014 Walkthrough (SDCC Show Floor)
    http://youtu.be/0unOsSFLvE8
    Our Comic Con 2014 - Turn Down For What Comic Con!
    http://youtu.be/oZTe3mfzQTk
  • RepoManRepoMan Posts: 327
    Is it just me or do I find these videos... not very entertaining or informative?
  • WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    RepoMan said:

Is it just me or do I find these videos... not very entertaining or informative?

The word "masturbatory" comes to mind...

Welcome to The New Media. :-S
    KassemG is awesome!

California On Comic-Con 6
    http://youtu.be/xC4qbr6H8Fo
    i guess i should not be surprised that a lot of p0rnstars go to comicon and do cosplay...
  • David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,884
    For those more interested in the actual comics talk and content of the panels at ComicCon (as opposed to, say, YouTubers groping cosplayers on the show floor)--

As he has done in years past, Jamie Coville recorded and has made available some of the best, and most comic-related, panels at SDCC as well as the entire Eisner Awards ceremony.

The Beat gives a good run down of the panels that are covered (with links to the audio on Coville's site) here.

Or, if you want to go directly to Coville's site, the panel recordings can be found here

And the Eisner Awards ceremony can be found here.