Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

MARVEL-DC MERGER if Disney Buys Time-Warner??

the possibilities are endless!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.newsarama.com/21880-could-rupert-murdochs-failed-big-to-acquire-time-warner-result-in-marvel-dc-merger.html

"THR identifies three other “suitors-in-waiting,” the first being Disney, now of course the parent company of Marvel Comics & Studios.

“The prospect of combining Disney's Marvel with Time Warner's DC Comics might be too compelling to ignore, plus CNN would give Disney the cable news asset it lacks,” writes THR. “Disney's market cap as of Aug. 8 was $149 billion compared with Time Warner's $63 billion, which gives Disney CEO Bob Iger more leverage than Murdoch might have had.""

Comments

• Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Oh I hope not.
  • bamfbamfbamfbamf Posts: 718
    Justice League of Avengers here we come!!!!!

Starring Robert Downey Jr and Batfleck!!!
  • GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    How would you even go about merging those two universes and making everything mesh? Especially when you have characters from both that are the same thing. Disney might buy bits and pieces of TW but not the whole thing.
  • I can't believe that anyone soon would try to merge the DC and Marvel universes, but this would allow for more crossovers. When was the last DC/Marvel crossover?
    Imagine Kevin Feige and Marvel Studios taking over the DC Cinematic Universe!!!!

And Jim Lee drawing Marvel characters again!!!
  • Regardless of IF Disney purchases DC/Warner, they're not merging the universes. There are PLENTY of things "fanboys" hate that cause internet dust ups, but if they did THAT, all of fandom would revolt. It's just not a smart idea.

HOWEVER, I do see more crossovers in the future and wouldn't object even to a live action Marvel/DC crossover movie spectacular every now and then. But PERMANENT merging? Nope.
  • They would definitely buy the whole thing. and DC properties would be of major value. But just because they'd be owned by the same company doesn't mean they'd merge the universes. As fans I think we are trained to expect that the corps don't understand what they have or why it works. But that's because we all grew up in an era when they didn't see value in comic IPs, something that is definitely not the case now.

If the companies merged we'll see occasional crossover events, releases of older that have sticky rights issues and ancillary media like a Marvel vs DC video game (also things like Disney Infinity).

And a Captain Marvel/Captain Marvel team up.

I think we all need to be much more worried about the constant consolidation of our media environment and what that means for freedom speech and diversity of voices.
  • bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    If anyone listens to @SolitaireRose's podcast, you might have heard of that time when Marvel almost published DC titles a while back. The titles were all set to go. Ah the possibilities...

• CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    How close would a Time Warner / Disney merger be to a monopoly?
  • luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    Think of all the cool crossover possibilities.

A merge of the two universes would be a terrible mistake, but I'd love the occasional crossover event, comic and/or movie and/or tv.

If done right we could be in for some real treats. Big IF though.

I'd hope they'd re-release jla/avengers so I could finally buy the trade at a reasonable price!
  • jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    I like when my peanut butter get into my chocolate but in this particular case, I would not want to see my DC get into my Marvel or vice versa. I like that they are two separate entities and hope that if Disney WERE to buy Time Warner, they would leave those two companies alone and not try to merge them.
    In my opinion competition is good. It spurs innovation and value. Whenever two competitors become one the consumer usually suffers. I pray DC and Marvel stay in their own respective mega corporations.
  • luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    Mr_Cosmic said:

In my opinion competition is good. It spurs innovation and value. Whenever two competitors become one the consumer usually suffers. I pray DC and Marvel stay in their own respective mega corporations.

I tend to agree.

But in moderation a crossover could be a good thing.

But let's all remember, as in all business today it's all about the $$$, and imagine how much an Avengers/JLA movie would bring in.
  • WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    bamfbamf said:

As long as it's something I have no interest in reading.

:D
  • WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    I'm amazed that I'm in favor of this.

I'd love to see the DCU back in the hands of people who aren't ashamed to be making comic books.
    imagine a Superman movie with COLORS!!!!!!!!!!

imagine no more Batfleck!!!
    edited August 2014
    I love the crossover ideas too. I'd give my left nut to see a JLA/Avengers movie.

Buuuuuut, I don't trust Marvel to handle the DC characters properly and to keep them separated. Comic companies run a good thing to death. The novelty would wear off after a while. I think many of the lesser DC characters would be lost in the shuffle with only the big ones surviving...albeit Marvelized.
  • Mr_Cosmic said:

Problem is that DC and Marvel aren't really competitors. Even though it looks like they produce the same product, they do not. A Batman comic is a Batman comic. A Spider-Man comic is a Spider-Man comic. If Marvel were to magically acquire the ability to publish Batman comics also, then they would be in competition. The medium is the same but the products are different, which means there is very little preventing someone from buying both, mostly personal preference and disposable income.

Marvel and DC understand that their products don't directly compete. The advantage to making it seem that way is the building of brand loyalty.

The fact is that all publishers have the same problem, which is figuring out how either grow the market or milk maximize the profits to be had from the small existing market, issues that it's in the best interest of everyone to solve.
  • X_DaneX_Dane Posts: 8
    The merging of the two universes would never work, the new universe would simply be too big, with too many "duplicate heroes/villains".

But Marvel studios gaining control of the DC moviewerse would be....... unspeakable epic, as long as they would keep Marvel and DC moviewerse separate.

If Disney owns both Marvel and DC they would own a market share of 60-70 % would that be monopoly?
  • PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980
    bamfbamf said:

http://www.newsarama.com/21880-could-rupert-murdochs-failed-big-to-acquire-time-warner-result-in-marvel-dc-merger.html

"THR identifies three other “suitors-in-waiting,” the first being Disney, now of course the parent company of Marvel Comics & Studios.

“The prospect of combining Disney's Marvel with Time Warner's DC Comics might be too compelling to ignore, plus CNN would give Disney the cable news asset it lacks,” writes THR. “Disney's market cap as of Aug. 8 was $149 billion compared with Time Warner's $63 billion, which gives Disney CEO Bob Iger more leverage than Murdoch might have had.""

Seems like this would run into some anti-trust problems. Time Warner owns many cable stations, radio stations, music groups, and cable providers. Disney also owns cable stations, radio stations, music groups.
  • playdohsrepublicplaydohsrepublic Posts: 1,377
    edited August 2014
    Planeis said:

bamfbamf said:

Seems like this would run into some anti-trust problems. Time Warner owns many cable stations, radio stations, music groups, and cable providers. Disney also owns cable stations, radio stations, music groups.
    Seems like it would... But these kinds seemingly impossible mergers happen all the time now.

Just look at the proposed Comcast /TimeWarner Cable deal. That's like 70% of the internet and cable market in the US.
  • bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    When Marvel's John Byrne was ready to make the first Marvel Comics Superman cover...

The blog of former Marvel editor Jim Shooter is a wealth of absolutely crazy/awesome stories (such as the origins of Secret Wars, the script for the Dazzler movie, etc), but this one from three years ago discusses a time when Marvel almost bought DC comics and licensed the publishing rights for every single DC character. Strangely prescient today...

http://www.jimshooter.com/2011/08/superman-first-marvel-issue.html
  • PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980

Planeis said:

bamfbamf said:

Seems like it would... But these kinds seemingly impossible mergers happen all the time now.

Just look at the proposed Comcast /TimeWarner Cable deal. That's like 70% of the internet and cable market in the US.
    Yea but that hasn't gone through yet, and it ALSO involves Time Warner. Seems unlikely Time Warner would be involved in yet another major major merger.
  • Planeis said:

Planeis said:

bamfbamf said:

Yea but that hasn't gone through yet, and it ALSO involves Time Warner. Seems unlikely Time Warner would be involved in yet another major major merger.
    TWC was spun into its own company a few years back. It's no longer part of Time Warner proper. And that merger isn't seeing the kind of resistance it should. And you still see market shifting mergers like United Airlines and American Airlines going through so it would not be a surprise
  • RickMRickM Posts: 407
    It would be interesting to see the companies under one umbrella. But the product lines would remain distinct, I would think.
  • bamfbamf said:

Oh, I hope not!
  • How close would a Time Warner / Disney merger be to a monopoly?

It wouldn't be, so long as there were still other film or entertainment companies out there, however small. It would, though, be a perceived monopoly, one that was in all but fact.
  • RepoManRepoMan Posts: 327
    Haha. What a silly story. I guess stranger things have happened. I would LOVE to have Jim Lee on X-Men. I went on a mad hunt to get all of his X-Men comics. What a wild wild read that was. It would certainly go a long way to re-establishing them as the juggernaut that they were when I was younger. Of course, Marvel probably wouldn't want that to happen again and would rather have him on the Avengers. Ah well.
  • SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445

How close would a Time Warner / Disney merger be to a monopoly?

None at all. They may have to spin off some things, but the US doesn't enforce monopoly laws any more.

• I'd rather Disney spent their dough on buying back the rights to X-Men, Spidey, and the FF. :-)