Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Comments

• Options
    I'm not sure. Genndy has done some amazing work in his time, but I didn't like the tempo of the scene, and it wasn't particularly funny. Of course, this is only a test.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967

I'm not sure. Genndy has done some amazing work in his time, but I didn't like the tempo of the scene, and it wasn't particularly funny. Of course, this is only a test.

Agreed. Then again, I don't remember ANY Popeye cartoons ever being all that funny...

This animation looked splendid though.

• Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    "It's raining men!" "How peculiar." I laughed,

And The Jeep!

Great to see The Jeep!
  • Options
    I do like the Jeep.

As for funny Popeye cartoons, “Barnacle Bill the Sailor” is my favorite. I loves me the mumbling era, where Popeye and Brutus are always mumbling under their breath.
  • Options
    BrackBrack Posts: 868
    You'd think someone who goes on so much about being a fan of Popeye would know that he was a redhead?

• Options
    edited September 2014

I do like the Jeep.

As for funny Popeye cartoons, “Barnacle Bill the Sailor” is my favorite. I loves me the mumbling era, where Popeye and Brutus are always mumbling under their breath.

True.

The clip we saw really evokes the comic for me more than as much as it does the cartoons.
  • Options
    The basic action is fine, I just don't like the pacing that much, and I'm not too keen on what I could see of the Popeye design. But, like I said, it's only a test, so maybe those things will change for the final movie.

I'm pretty sure that was Billy West doing the voice, who I think is a good choice. Though this wasn’t the best Popeye I've heard him do—not enough gravel in the voice.
  • Options
    Really not seeing your concern about the tempo, Eric--it seems like pretty crisply-paced cartoon slapstick to me, punctuated with plenty of good old wholesome fantasy violence! (Though I'll agree that the Popeye design could use a tweak or two, and the script does need more mumbling.)

Also, I'm betting that's Tom Kenny providing Popeye's voice. Probably got the job on the strength of his appearances as "Patchy the Pirate" on SpongeBob. Also a good choice, I'd say.
  • Options
    Brack said:

You'd think someone who goes on so much about being a fan of Popeye would know that he was a redhead?

Hmmmm... looked red to me.
  • Options
    The Robin Williams POPEYE movie is my all-time favorite. The Segar Popeye strips are my all-time favorite. Dexter's Lab is my all-time favorite cartoon.

REALLLLLY looking forward to this. I liked the animation, although I think the pacing was a little too fast... lots of really fast movements, and not enough time to digest what's going on. Some of it was like looking at a 2 frame back-and-forth flipbook.

The lighting and characters are beautiful.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    edited September 2014
    That’s my problem, Adam—it’s a bit too crisply-paced for my taste. My favorites of the old cartoons had more breathing room in the action. It was build, build, build—boom! Not boom, boom, boom. Maybe that was because of a more limited budget, but to me Popeye is more about stumbling and bumbling and rumbling than quick, precise, balletic movement.

What makes me think it’s West is the second line. Actually, the first line made me think it was Bob Bergen. But that second line sounded pretty clearly like Billy West to me. Could be Kenny, though—he's almost as big a Popeye fan as West is.
  • Options

That’s my problem, Adam—it’s a bit too crisply-paced for my taste. My favorites of the old cartoons had more breathing room in the action. It was build, build, build—boom! Not boom, boom, boom. Maybe that was because of a more limited budget, but to me Popeye is more about stumbling and bumbling and rumbling than quick, precise, balletic movement.

What makes me think it’s West is the second line. Actually, the first line made me think it was Bob Bergen. But that second line sounded pretty clearly like Billy West to me. Could be Kenny, though—he's almost as big a Popeye fan as West is.

As you say, it was a test. They probably wanted to show off as much as they could in 2 minutes.
  • Options

As you say, it was a test. They probably wanted to show off as much as they could in 2 minutes.
    Hopefully that's all it is. For me, Popeye works best when there’s the slow build until Popeye can’ts stands no more, and then all hell breaks loose. If all hell's already broken loose, then Popeye is just another character amidst the chaos, not the center of the chaos. Popeye shouldn't be one of the pieces of debris flying around inside the tornado, he should be the tornado.

I still have confidence Genndy will get it right... as long as the producers let him.
  • Options
    kgforcekgforce Posts: 326
    Hmmm... something doesn't seem right with his squinky eye... just looks like it's glued shut.
  • Options
    Everybody's comments whether critical or glowing are hopefully being used as some sort of research. They put something out there in the public then you have to expect feedback whether positive or negative.

Sometimes we fanboys get criticized for being too early in our judgements of trailers or leaked stills. But why do the movie companies put out these images in the first place? For some kind of feedback. And sometimes anything less than a glowing fangsasm is seen mostly as just being prematurely negative. And sometimes our positive response can be wrong like FF ROTSS and wrong in the negative Quicksilver from DOFP.

I look forward to seeing the finished product.
  • Options

Everybody's comments whether critical or glowing are hopefully being used as some sort of research. They put something out there in the public then you have to expect feedback whether positive or negative.

Sometimes we fanboys get criticized for being too early in our judgements of trailers or leaked stills. But why do the movie companies put out these images in the first place? For some kind of feedback. And sometimes anything less than a glowing fangsasm is seen mostly as just being prematurely negative. And sometimes our positive response can be wrong like FF ROTSS and wrong in the negative Quicksilver from DOFP.

I look forward to seeing the finished product.

Ditto
  • Options
    JaxUrJaxUr Posts: 547
    Here's what Fox News has to say about the Popeye footage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=no_rClZ-sbI
  • Options
    I did not watch the clip of the Fox News thing because... well, I didn't want to. (I'm an equal opportunity hater, though, and I don't watch MSNBC or CNN either.)

That said, I immediately missed the pipe and the tattoos. As a result, despite a very finished look to the test footage, it looked... unfinished to my eyes.

I'll probably just stick with the Robin Williams Popeye film if I want feature length fun.
  • Options

I did not watch the clip of the Fox News thing because... well, I didn't want to. (I'm an equal opportunity hater, though, and I don't watch MSNBC or CNN either.)

That said, I immediately missed the pipe and the tattoos. As a result, despite a very finished look to the test footage, it looked... unfinished to my eyes.

I'll probably just stick with the Robin Williams Popeye film if I want feature length fun.

I was too busy enjoying all the good stuff to notice what wasn't there.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    I'd like to know why the pipe and anchor were left out. The fact that they're missing doesn't bother me so much as the possibility of why they're gone. If the pipe was left out because they thought it would keep kids from smoking...well, that's stupid.
  • Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

I'd like to know why the pipe and anchor were left out. The fact that they're missing doesn't bother me so much as the possibility of why they're gone. If the pipe was left out because they thought it would keep kids from smoking...well, that's stupid.

I'd say the pipe is gone. No one wants their $100 million dollar movie constantly fighting off the anti-smoking lobby. They are vicious.

As for the tattoos, it was probably a little bit cheaper and a little bit easier to leave them out for the test. I'd bet they'll be in the actual movie.

Also, I don't think I've ever seen a real Fox News clip look so much like an SNL skit.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200

Mr_Cosmic said:

I'd say the pipe is gone. No one wants their $100 million dollar movie constantly fighting off the anti-smoking lobby. They are vicious.

As for the tattoos, it was probably a little bit cheaper and a little bit easier to leave them out for the test. I'd bet they'll be in the actual movie.

Also, I don't think I've ever seen a real Fox News clip look so much like an SNL skit.
    Yet men constantly trying to attack, grab, and tie up Olive is comedy gold. The fact that the anti smoking lobby garners more fear from Hollywood than any anti violence lobby is sort of sad.

• Options
    kgforcekgforce Posts: 326
    edited September 2014
    I didn't notice the lack of tattoos or pipe. When I was a kid, I never realized that the anchors were tattoos (and my dad had been in the military and had plenty of tattoos). And the pipe? Didn't he suck down spinach via the pipe sometimes? I don't remember him ever actually smoking it... not saying he didn't, I just don't recollect it.

In conclusion... he needs the tats and the pipe.
  • Options
    playdohsrepublicplaydohsrepublic Posts: 1,377
    edited September 2014
    JaxUr said:

Here's what Fox News has to say about the Popeye footage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=no_rClZ-sbI

Uh. I just watched the full clip (having stopped the first time after the Popeye stuff). It's amazing. Not sure which is better, the complaining about female Thor or Wonder Woman's BvS costume not being patriotic enough.
  • Options
    JaxUrJaxUr Posts: 547
    What would the Fox Friends say if they new about Dr. Marston's bondage fetish?
  • Options
    I've seen that show once or twice and that group of misfits is always making wisecracks like these. Most are tongue in cheek and the rest is red meat to upset the right wing.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    Update: Sony has officially pulled the plug on the Popeye movie. Well, blow me down.
  • Options

Update: Sony has officially pulled the plug on the Popeye movie. Well, blow me down.

Tartakovsky revealed last March that he’d parted company with “Popeye,” which has been in development since 2011, because he didn’t think his vision for the film matched the studio’s. And it looked like the project was done.

However, Sony Pictures Animation appears to be pushing ahead with its adaptation of “Popeye.” Deadline reports the studio has hired video game and film writer T.J. Fixman to pen the 3D-animated adaptation of the classic comic strip.