Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1505 Talkback - Spotlight on Doctor Doom

He's a scientist, a sorcerer, a diplomat, a despot, a cold-blooded killer, a would-be world conqueror, a devoted son, an implacable enemy--a tortured soul. He's the most magnificently megalomaniacal menace mentioned in the Malleus Maleficarum of Mighty Marvel, and this episode is HIS! As a supplement to our ongoing series of Spotlights on the Fantastic Four, we present this character profile and suggested reading list devoted to the greatest Marvel Comics villain of them all: DOCTOR DOOM! (2:06:20)

Listen here. So commands Doom!

Comments

• Options
    A "Spotlight" on Doctor Doom???

• Options
    Doom Trivia:

Not many people are aware that the catchy, yet irritating, hit single "MMMBop" by the trio of brothers known as "Hanson" was originally entitled "DoomBot." That is, until attorneys representing a certain Latverian client showed up at their doorstep and, you know ... (does the air-quote thingy) *convinced* them to change it. Doom bought up most of the then-produced singles on e-Bay. Here's one of the few known copies of the original album cover though:

(Tell the truth ... you're singing that song in your head right now with the words "DoomBot," aren't you?)

• Options
    TheOriginalGManTheOriginalGMan Posts: 1,763
    edited September 2014
    So, a couple of items on the episode ...

It's amazing to think that for a guy who has never had a book of his own to speak of, Doom has appeared over 700 times. That amounts to more than once per month for his entire 52 year career. Amazing.

The bit about Ben Grimm monkeying around with Doom's equipment and causing the fateful explosion was revealed in Original Sin.

Could not agree more with Professor Eberle on "Books of Doom." A great, great take on Doom's origin and his rise to power.

Given the Professor's love for the Black Panther though, I was mildly surprised there was no mention of the "Doomwar" mini-series, which I found to be another fascinating look at the inner workings of Doom's mind. Then I thought perhaps you're saving if for the (much-anticipated!) Black Panther Spotlight? (*fingers crossed*)

I literally "laughed out loud" at the "Otisburg" reference. Well played, Mr. Mulholland.

One of my favorite comics as a kid was "Super-Villain Team-Up." I loved both Doom and Sub-Mariner and to have them together in the same book was heaven for me as a 10-11 year old. I can remember at the time searching *everywhere* unsuccessfully for issue #3, as I was too much of a dumbass kid to realize it was a bi-monthly. :-)

And finally, one of my favorite recent "appearances" of Doom (actually it's a "non-appearance") has been the running gag in "Superior Foes of Spider-Man" where the gang hatches this crazy caper to steal a legendary portrait done of Doom without his faceplate on.
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946

The bit about Ben Grimm monkeying around with Doom's equipment and causing the fateful explosion was revealed in Original Sin.

I thought this was also talked about in Fraction's Fantastic Four run.

• Options
    edited September 2014
    Greg said:

I thought this was also talked about in Fraction's Fantastic Four run.

Oh, my bad then.

Just inter-googled it, and the Professor was right ... it was revealed during Age of Ultron in FF #5 during the Fraction run.

I was confusing it with the Original Sin plot line where the Thing finds out that Johnny Storm had tampered with one of Reed's experiments to turn him back to Ben Grimm.
  • Options
    playdohsrepublicplaydohsrepublic Posts: 1,377
    edited September 2014
    So glad Triumph and Torment was discussed. Easily my favorite Marvel Graphic Novel. Also Hero for Hire #9 is probably the best pre-iron fist issue of the book, soley for the ending.

And Doom 2099! Oh man this is my 3rd edit, because I have forgotten how much I love Dr Doom
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    edited September 2014
    If you ever want to see a great parody of Doom you should search YouTube for Baron Ünderbheit.

I think @Adam_Murdough‌ would agree.

In the Original Sin tie-in for Fantastic Four we learn that Johnny Storm accidentally messed up a machine that would have cured Grimm for good. That might be what you're thinking of?
  • Options

I literally "laughed out loud" at the "Otisburg" reference. Well played, Mr. Mulholland.

Thanks! I love that bit from Superman, I know on most of these spotlights I don't have much to say but I love sitting on on them and learning a thing or two.

It is so so much fun to listen to Chris and Murd discuss anything. :)
  • Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

In the Original Sin tie-in for Fantastic Four we learn that Johnny Storm accidentally messed up a machine that would have cured Grimm for good. That might be what you're thinking of?

Yeah, that's what I was thinking of. Someone else pointed it out to me. Just one more example of why I'm a moron.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200

Mr_Cosmic said:

Yeah, that's what I was thinking of. Someone else pointed it out to me. Just one more example of why I'm a moron.
    No, it's hard to keep these stories straight. Especially when they can be so similar.

• Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    I love these spotlight shows!!!

I have that Dixon Doom mini. Got it at the London con last year for £1.50. Makes a little more sense now I know some more context!
  • Options
    Great episode but even though there was an advisory against a chronology you guys were a little too light on specific issues but you did nail the benchmarks. I love Doctor Doom and Iron Man in Camelot but the second one was lacking. Doom in the X-Men was always great and there is a great Uncanny X-Men cover by Dave Cockrum with Doom holding a goblet IIRC. I will have to track down the Book of Doom. I had never heard of it. I also remember Doom from Bring On The Bad Guys and that origin story is remarkable, the best of Lee/Kirby. My favorite Bryne issue is Doom fighting Terrax and Silver Surfer when Doom's original body gets fried. Some of the best comic fighting I've ever read. Fantastic episode.
  • Options
    Agreed, @shroud68, Doctor Doom and Iron Man in Camelot was a key moment in my comic book reading history. It seemed so imaginative to me at that time!

Also agree that this was a fantastic episode!
  • Options
    Fantastic episode! Although I'm sure Victor would prefer I use a different adjective. ;)

I've read a few of the stories mentioned in the episode but none of them recently. I see I've got some buying and reading to do.

I didn't realize Doom's use of magic went back that far.

The 1st meeting of Doom and the X-Men (Uncanny X-Men 145-147) is a fun story but more for the X-Men than the Doom. I talked about it on Episode 42 of Dave Talks Comics.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    An absolutely thrilling episode gentlemen. Kudos to Chris of @wildpigcomics‌ for the consistently good comic history lessons. I am now looking for a Books of Doom hardcover at a price I am willing to pay.

If you are planning any additional Spotlight episodes, may I suggest any of the following?

1) Iron Man
    2) Thor
    3) Inhumans
    4) Marvel Supernaturals (Werewolf by Night, Man-Thing, Tomb of Dracula, etc)
    4) Marvel / DC crossover events (From Superman Vs Spider-Man in the 70's to Batman & Spider-Man in the 90's, Amalgam, etc)
    5) Flash (Silver Age, Bronze Age, Modern Age, etc)
    6) JLA (Silver Age, Bronze Age, Modern Age, etc)
    7) and my favorite... Marvel Cosmic Spotlight

Kilmarock said:

The 1st meeting of Doom and the X-Men (Uncanny X-Men 145-147) is a fun story but more for the X-Men than the Doom. I talked about it on Episode 42 of Dave Talks Comics.

I also enjoy your podcast @Kilmarock!
  • Options

Kilmarock said:

I also enjoy your podcast @Kilmarock!
    Thank you!

Doom also appeared in Amazing Spider-Man Annual 14 by Chris Claremont and Frank Miller, which I talked about on Episode 38 of Dave Talks Comics. But it wasn't a prominent role for Doom, despite what the cover seemed to indicate, or the first time I was fooled by a cover. :D

• Options
    Considering the subject of the episode, when you guys did the plug for Super Hero Stuff I was hoping you would say that it was "the place to go for all of your SUPER VILLAIN STUFF!".
  • Options
    Great episode, gents. Spotlights are always interesting and informative.
  • Options
    Another great spotlight episode! I've been meaning to read Brubaker's Books of Doom for a while, but now it's shot up to a top spot on the to-read list.

While I hesitate to nitpick any spotlight episode, I will offer 1 minor bit of correction. The issue where Doom names baby Valeria is actually during the Pacheco/Marin run on the FF, quite a few issues after Claremont left.

I really only picked up on it because I'm working through some FF reviews on my blog now and this run is in there. http://exploringmarvelu.blogspot.com/2014/09/pachecos-fantastic-four-inhumans.html

• Options

If you are planning any additional Spotlight episodes, may I suggest any of the following?

1) Iron Man

Based on hints from Murd in his latest Time Bubble episode, it appears there are plans to do a spotlight in the near future on Iron Man (Or, as Drunk Cap so famously called him ... "a wino with bad hairplugs and a small penis")

• Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881

1) Iron Man

Based on hints from Murd in his latest Time Bubble episode, it appears there are plans to do a spotlight in the near future on Iron Man (Or, as Drunk Cap so famously called him ... "a wino with bad hairplugs and a small penis")

". . . and a dodgy war record!" :)
  • Options
    David_D said:

Crap! I knew I was forgetting something! LOL!
  • Options

David_D said:

Crap! I knew I was forgetting something! LOL!
    LOL!
  • Options

1) Iron Man

Jumping in here to explode spurious Spotlight speculation: no Iron Man Spotlight is on the CGS agenda at the present time! (Sheesh, we're still only halfway done with FF and DD!) GMan, the remark I made on the Time Bubble hinted that we'd be talking about a Marvel character (not necessarily Iron Man, and not necessarily in Spotlight format, dig?) whose first appearance involved Red Skull's Exiles, not a character who was present for the Exiles' own first appearance! You misconstrued, dude!
  • Options

Jumping in here to explode spurious Spotlight speculation: no Iron Man Spotlight is on the CGS agenda at the present time! (Sheesh, we're still only halfway done with FF and DD!)

Both excellent spotlights to be certain, and so my suggestions still stand, sir!

• Options
    edited September 2014
    @Adam_Murdough‌ Sonovabitch! *continues sleuthing*
  • Options
    alienalalienal Posts: 508
    Wow, nice long episode chock full of info! I thought I had read most of Dr. Doom's appearances since the 60's, but I've apparently missed A LOT! I can already feel the money leaving my wallet thinking about what back issues with Dr. Doom in them I could buy! However, I think the part of the episode I liked best is the speculation about Doc Doom's powers and his ego and how sometimes his ego is his weakness. Thanks!
  • Options
    great episode about a great villain
  • Options
    ctowner1ctowner1 Posts: 481
    great ep guys!