Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Parking At the New York Comic Con?

Hello, going in on Sunday for the Kid's day at the NYCC!!! Very excited! What do you guys do, parking wise? Do the lots get full really quickly near the Jacob Javitz Center? We usually take a ferry into the city, and then the subway. Obviously, car would be easier with kids, but traffic and parking would be a pain.

Any hints and suggestions would be appreciated, thanks!!!

Comments

• Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    I would guess parking anywhere near the Javitz would be expensive and/or a nightmare/ But as you are coming in on a Sunday morning, when meters are suspended (turning what would be one or two hour metered spots into free parking), you could probably just park downtown, or even in lower midtown (say, in the 20s), and then just go a few stops on the subway. I don't think you would need to park as far out as a ferry, if you were up for driving in and looking around a little to find a spot. Just don't bother to look for on street parking in the Javitz/ Times Square area.
  • Options
    ctowner1ctowner1 Posts: 481
    also, 2 other suggestions:

1) if you want to garage it, google "nyc parking coupons" and you can get some decent coupons to bring the price down closer to $20, rather than $40.

2) I don't knowe the downtown parking situation, but you can also go north - into the west 50's. That's what I did last year and it worked well. If you want an even better shot at parking, go up to the upper west side - west 70s to west 90s betw/Broadway and West End ave. You can then take the 2/3 express from 96 or 72 to 34th st, and then Javits is about a 10 minute walk west (or just take a cab - would cost about $10? and easier w/kids).
  • Options
    mistermister Posts: 9
    thank you!!! that's super super helpful to know. That's pretty much what I suspected, as well. The doors open at 9am... get there around 8am? There's still a line, right?
    I'll look for street parking, I'll even pay for a lot, just for convenience.
  • Options
    I usually take mass transit in, but I am not coming in with a wee one
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Found a parking lot near there, with a coupon! NICE! Thanks, for the advice, guys! $25, not bad for NYC!

Hey, is CGS going to be there? That'd be great to see them again!

Also, this is my first con! What are some things I should definitely do, definitely not do, etc?
    I'd love to get the photo op w/ the entire cast of Star Trek, TNG! But, it's $340 bucks, hah. So i'm not doing that. But, that's better, cuz there'd be a long huge line anyways, I would think, and it'll be easier for my kids.

WHat should i look out to do?
  • Options
    Hey! I parked at a lot near the con! it was great! the con was so much fun! a LOT to do! i missed out on my Humberto Ramos sketch, so that'll have to wait until another time. BUT, my kids and I got a GREAT sketch from Duncan Rouleau, from Man of Action Studios, of Ben 10!

We also met Cary Elwes, of Princess Bride fame, and my kids met Jeff Kinney, from Diary of a Wimpy Kid! Cary Elwes is SUPER nice. He was going on and on about my kids!

I'd love to get more sketches and have a chance to buy more TOYS... but I think I can probably find them online.

I think next year, if we go, we gotta do like 2 days.

Thanks for the help, guys!