Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1512 Talkback - Spotlight on Daredevil in the Bronze Age

Our deposition on Daredevil continues as DD swings into the Seventies! Hear about his temporary relocation to San Francisco and his partnership with Black Widow; his ill-fated romance with Heather Glenn; his clashes with Moondragon, Hydra, Black Spectre, Death-Stalker, and Bullseye; and other highlights of this often overlooked, 'quirky' interregnum period in Hornhead's history. (1:43:18)

Listen here.

Comments

• Options
    "Is that Karen Page?"

"No it's Becky."

• Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    edited November 2014
    So glad you guys revisted this. Really enjoyed this episode. My earliest issues are 81, 82, and 83, so the last one left me with a serious cliff-hanger. Always a great discussion when you guys do these Spotlights. Thanks again @wildpigcomics‌, @Adam_Murdough‌, @ShaneKelly‌ and @Pants!

True love as only the Black Widow knew how!
  • Options
    Really enjoyed the episode as this is period of Daredevil's history that I knew little about. Looking forward to the discussion on Miller's work, of course, but believe it or not I'm even more excited about Ann Nocenti's run. Those were some of the first comics I bought with my own money as a kid and that run holds a special place in my heart.
  • Options
    I believe it, @pfinnegan‌. The Nocenti/JRJr run is my all-time favorite DD run, for a similar reason to why it holds a special place in your heart. It was around the late 240s that I bought my first Daredevil comic, right around the Typhoid Mary storyline, and I stuck with it through until some time after 300. And that whole Nocenti run is gold, to my mind.

That said, I am only part of the way into this one, but am really enjoying it. Having Messrs. Eberlee & Moyer hold court, with a valuable assist from the Murd and pointed questions (pointed, I say) from Pants (and I'll assume Shane, too, though he hasn't poked his head in that much, to this point) really keeps the discussion going. Loving it.

At some point, I need to seek these books out, if only for the Gene Colan art. Thanks for all the work gentlemen. I look forward to the rest of this episode and further installments.

chris
  • Options
    shroud68shroud68 Posts: 457
    Here is an area of Marvel Bronze Age I probably only read one or two of. I enjoyed this more than episodes where I am well versed in the subject material. I have not seen any of this collected and am interested in reading after checking out the covers on the inter-webs. Love the episode, keep up the good work.
  • Options
    pfinnegan said:

Really enjoyed the episode as this is period of Daredevil's history that I knew little about. Looking forward to the discussion on Miller's work, of course, but believe it or not I'm even more excited about Ann Nocenti's run. Those were some of the first comics I bought with my own money as a kid and that run holds a special place in my heart.

The Ann Nocenti era was when I ran screaming from the series; I have yet to read a Nocenti story that doesn’t make me cringe. Of course, by that time I was also sick of the ‘dark’ Daredevil; I’d grown up with the wise-cracking swashbuckler and the darker DD never really set well with me. I did enjoy the Miller and O’Neil eras, but they were the only ones who made those darker stories work for me. When they left, so did I. I did try to pick up the title a few times over the years after that, but not much really impressed me for very long. I didn’t become a regular DD reader again until Mark Waid’s recent run; Waid did an excellent job of reconciling the dark era with the lighter, swashbuckling era.