Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Are "Events" Ruining Marvel Comics?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Evening639Evening639 Posts: 368
    edited November 2014

We don’t just want captain America punching Batroc the Leaper again

Actually, in my mind, I see Cap chasing and eventually punching Batroc in the face while "Yakety Sax" plays for hours every day. It's how I fall asleep every night.

• Options
    spidspid Posts: 203
    No, events are not ruining Marvel comics or any other comic company for that matter. There more good comics than I have time to read from Marvel and several other companies.
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    The events themselves aren't ruining comics. It's the price point of the event. Event comics seem to be $4.99 min now. Death of Wolverine each $4.99, Multiversity over at DC each $4.99. I'm loathed to pay $3.99 for a book which is why I read so little Marvel. The events are a why of keeping in touch with the Marvel U. But at those prices I'm out.
  • Options
    luke52 said:

The events themselves aren't ruining comics. It's the price point of the event. Event comics seem to be $4.99 min now. Death of Wolverine each $4.99, Multiversity over at DC each $4.99. I'm loathed to pay $3.99 for a book which is why I read so little Marvel. The events are a why of keeping in touch with the Marvel U. But at those prices I'm out.

Now we're really getting to the heart of the matter. TOO EXPENSIVE!
  • Options
    luke52 said:

This is a really good point.

If anything, I think events (and, really, all comics but I digress) should be cheaper. Because we the readers are being asked to pick up additional material on top of what we buy every week already. I try to keep my weekly spending at my LCS to about ten bucks a week (I almost always go over) and try to only use DCBS to buy indie stuff that I know won't be available to me anywhere else.

That ten bucks a week usually doesn't get me much and these days I find myself doing the same thing every week. I'll pick up two or three titles, look at them, think really hard if I want to spend that much on just two or three books, then I usually put them all back and just hit the 50¢ bins or buy a used trade or two.

I have to admit, I have really been enjoying AXIS but it's rough being essentially a weekly book and I picked up Uncanny Avengers #25 to lead into it as well. I'm enjoying it but I'll be glad when it's over.

• Options
    Are events ruining Marvel?

Yes.

Not in and of themselves, because I think the events stir up a lot of interesting situations and storylines. But I think the ongoing onslaught of event after event is extremely wearying, and more than a mite cynical. It’s apparent that the editorial side (and likely the executive side) feel that the events are the only things that sell their books these days (and they may be right, given that sales climb atmospherically during the events) rather than the characters or their stories. Give me an Event once a year and then take some time to let the dust settle and to build to the next one. Even a wait of two years could help.

I don’t expect that to happen though...
  • Options
    "Onslaught of events." I see what you did there...
  • Options

"Onslaught of events." I see what you did there...

I could have said that the rising level of events each year was approaching a crisis point, but I wanted to be subtle...

• Options
    The events of recent (and not-so-recent) years appear to be the inspiration for most of Marvel's upcoming movies, so I would say no, they are not ruining them.. Aslo, the events package nicely into trades and hardcovers, which are huge moneymakers for Marvel.

Although, as has been said previously, the price point is really a downer.