Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The First X-Men

This image just dropped from Marvel, with them teasing the creator as 'An Industry Legend'. Could be Claremont, but I vote it's Bendis's new thing where he was rumored to be taking over the X-titles.

Comments

• Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    First hint of the New 616?

;)
  • Options
    Bendis doing then I'm not reading. if Clarmont is doing it I will give it a try. I'm hoping it's Stan Lee. How cool would that be?
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    If it is Mr. C, I'm in. If it's Bendis I will at least check it out.
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    Ha! If it is Claremont, I'm not touching it with a ten foot pole!
  • Options
    mguy1977mguy1977 Posts: 801
    If it is Claremont, I will buy it; if it is Bendis, I quote my mom "We'll See" translation a very likely no without saying the actual word "No".

Matthew
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    If it is either Bendis or Claremont I wont bother reading it.
  • Options
    WebheadWebhead Posts: 458
    Depends on the story and the art

I'll check it out at my LCS. It's been a while since I bought an X-title and would not mind given this book a chance.
  • Options
    KyleMoyerKyleMoyer Posts: 727
    First hint of the New 616?

;)
    They better review all 616 titles on the show.
  • Options
    If it actually happens of a Marvel reboot then Jamie D. will not be happy to say the least.

Matthew
  • Options
    Hope it is Bendis sorting out the X-Men. I've been calling for a clean out of X-titles for a while now.

Don't think that Marvel will reboot. For starters, they will get heavily criticised for copying DC and wasn't the Ultimate line meant to be the Marvel reboot anyway?
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    I haven't been paying as much attention lately, but I thought we already knew that Bendis was taking on X-books after Avengers? On a quick Google, it seems like only Bleedingcool talk, and people talking about Bleedingcool rumors, so I guess that doesn't get announced until later.

I'd be up for a Bendis take on the X-Men, I just hope that wouldn't mean that Remender would be off Uncanny X-Force (the only X-book I'm currently reading).

I was a huge Claremont fan back in the day. He is one of the first writers I sought out by name, and as a teenager I collected (with a big assist from Classic X-Men reprints) I think every single thing he wrote in his first (best... maybe should have been only) X-era of books. And I got psyched the several times he came back. Hell, I even stuck with his Xavier and Magneto mope around Genosha volume of Excalibur to the bitter end. But I don't think I could do another Claremont return. I feel like, when you include the X-Men Forever, we've seen what he would do now, and what he what have done then. And... it just wasn't good. It all felt like the old 'You can't go home again'.

That said, if Claremont was launching something new of his, some passion project he and his co-author owned, I would give it a try. I mean, sure, Sovereign Seven still stinks up back issue bins to this day, but I would give him another chance at something original.

Anyway, that was a long answer.

I would bet any man One American Dollar (pause for everyone to whistle at the boldness of such a stake) that the Marvel Universe is not doing a New 52 style reboot. I just don't see it. Especially when they can do little reboots (and have) all the time.

Maybe The First X-Men is a Brand New Day for the X-Men? We'll see. But I don't imagine that any story element, even a Phoenix force, is going to disrupt everything that everyone in the MU is currently doing.
  • Options
    HappenstanceHappenstance Posts: 113
    Wouldnt surprise me if its just a story about a team Xavier tried to train before Scott and everyone that we didnt know about. Similar to the team he put together with Vulcan and Darwin in.
  • Options
    nhartznhartz Posts: 12
    I think the Phoenix Force will bring back the original X-Men or swapping out. I also believe it will be Bendis writing it.
  • Options
    spaceman88spaceman88 Posts: 19
    I don't think it would be Claremont. They did the X-Men Forever series before and that didn't sell at all.
  • Options
    I think the Phoenix Force will bring back the original X-Men or swapping out. I also believe it will be Bendis writing it.
    Would mind if this happened that way we can get rid of the "Jerk" Scott Summers and the "Cat" Hank McCoy.

• Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    *sigh*. More Bendis = less hauberk
  • Options
    HappenstanceHappenstance Posts: 113
    I just want to get back to the older style of X-Men. I mentioned it in my Cyclops thread but I dont really like where Mutants are at the moment in the Marvel universe and the X-Men especially. Theyve gone from having adventures and protecting humans and/or mutants to becoming a nation/army that for me at least just isnt fun to read anymore.

Unfortunately I dont think this book will really change much of that. I will hope for it though.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    I'll give it a shot, regardless of who's doing it.
  • Options
    It's Neal Adams and Christos Gage doing a Wolverine Book. I hope it's better than Batman: Odyssey. Adams can still draw but he is kinda crazy on the writing front.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/05/14/wolverine-the-first-x-men-or-x-man-from-neal-adams-and-christos-gage/
  • Options
    KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    i'm in for a try if it's Christos Gage, i like his stuff
  • Options
    It's Neal Adams and Christos Gage doing a Wolverine Book. I hope it's better than Batman: Odyssey. Adams can still draw but he is kinda crazy on the writing front.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/05/14/wolverine-the-first-x-men-or-x-man-from-neal-adams-and-christos-gage/
    The promo said "Men" plural though, so I think I go with Rich's idea that it will probably be several different series/miniseries tied together with the one Neal Adams spilled the beans on being one of them.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    Should be sort of interesting.
  • Options
    Officially an X-men book about the original team now, in which Wolverine is a part. Gage scripting is a good sign.
  • Options
    Officially an X-men book about the original team now, in which Wolverine is a part. Gage scripting is a good sign.
    Yes, but it's based off of a story idea from Neal Adams. And as much as his talents at the drawing table are still just as good as they once were, his writing talents... well.....
  • Options
    demonbeardemonbear Posts: 159
    Why the heck do we need to go back to the past and make stories there?? Why not move the whole friggin' thing forward?? enough GeoffJohns-ing...
  • Options
    Well lets see here, I loose JLI from DC but gain a Marvel 5 part miniseries w/ Neal Adams art.

The balance is restored.

I don't believe I have read much of Christos Cage recently so I will give the 5 issues.

Matthew
  • Options
    Another Wolverine book.... :-&
  • Options
    Well lets see here, I loose JLI from DC but gain a Marvel 5 part miniseries w/ Neal Adams art.

The balance is restored.

I don't believe I have read much of Christos Cage recently so I will give the 5 issues.

Matthew
    From what I've read, Gage is a good writer. Like I said above, my only problem is that Adams came up with the plot for this story. If it was completely written by Gage and drawn by Adams, I would buy this even with a $3.99 price point. But between that and the fact that the story really doesn't grab me, I'll wait until I see it cheap unless I hear great things about it.
  • Options
    MikeGallagherMikeGallagher Posts: 547
    I mention in a future episode that this was all done before when they retconned Vulcan into everything. So are they ignoring this?
  • Options
    I mention in a future episode that this was all done before when they retconned Vulcan into everything. So are they ignoring this?
    Vulcan was retconned into before the All-New All-Different X-Men. This will be pre-original X-Men. So it's not really contradicting anything, it's just unoriginal.