Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Wonder Woman & The Finch's

The reviews on David & Meredith Finch's Wonder Woman have been....well, sketchy at best. And although Meredith is somewhat of a newbie when approaching this iconic character, I think the benefit of the doubt should at least play a role in decision making. With only 1 issue in, and some of the solicits showing the upcoming story arcs, the combination of David's art and Meredith's storytelling should culminate into a great title.
However, coming off Chiang's run, those are BIG shoes to fill.
Myself, I am very much looking forward to their respective run on Wonder Woman.
Can't wait to see how they develop her identity.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    HalJrdn74 said:

The reviews on David & Meredith Finch's Wonder Woman have been....well, sketchy at best. And although Meredith is somewhat of a newbie when approaching this iconic character, I think the benefit of the doubt should at least play a role in decision making. With only 1 issue in, and some of the solicits showing the upcoming story arcs, the combination of David's art and Meredith's storytelling should culminate into a great title.
    However, coming off Chiang's run, those are BIG shoes to fill.
    Myself, I am very much looking forward to their respective run on Wonder Woman.
    Can't wait to see how they develop her identity.

Thoughts?

HalJrdn74 = Phil? ;) lol

Anywho, back on topic, I LOVED the first run of WW of the New 52. One of the few New 52 titles I can say that of.

What I'm hearing about this "new" incarnation via this creative team is concerning. Not to mention I hear bad things in terms of sexism.

I read an article the other day where one of the Finch's (I think Meredith) said something about wanting people to feel at the end of the series that Wonder Woman is their "friend". The poster said, "I want my friend to sit on the couch and watch TV with me, I want Wonder Woman to save the world."

• Options
    Found the article. if you want to read it CLICK HERE.

Actual quote verbatim, for sake of accuracy,

"In a behind-the-scenes video posted by DC themselves, Meredith explained that by the end of their run, she hoped “people feel like they have an intimate connection with [Wonder Woman]… and that she’s their best friend.”

I need my best friend to sit on the couch and watch TV with me; I need Wonder Woman to save the world.
    "
  • Options
    I read the very same article, and agree with some of it...but not all.
    The part that stuck out with me was in regards to Wonder Woman being given to a lower tier writer with little experience in authorship. Makes sense why that would be an issue, as there are far more other creative writers more inept to handle such an iconic character.
    But, perhaps Meredith will surprise us fans and bring a new idealism to her portrayal of Wonder Woman. But, only time will tell.
  • Options
    RickMRickM Posts: 407
    She's a newbie author, but the assumption is that her co-creator/husband will be able to maintain quality control since he's a prominent creator. I don't read Wonder Woman but I still think the Finches are being unfairly punished for their comments about WW's feminist icon status. Even if they do a halfway decent job on their WW run I think people will be looking for some picky issue to criticize.
  • Options
    RickMRickM Posts: 407
    Okay, so I bought the first two issues of the Finch Family WW run and I'm even more convinced that the Daily Beast critic is totally off-base. Diana is still as heroic as ever, still the strong woman she's been since FDR was president. She's struggling with the dilemma of whether her loyalties lie with humanity or with the good-looking residents of Paradise Island (which I assume has been a perpetual theme in WW). Meredith Finch is a decent writer, starting to build up a nice, menacing storyline; while it may not be as good as the previous writer's run (which I heard was great), it certainly isn't amateur hour. I've always loved David Finch's art, and I don't think he sexualizes Diana beyond what others have done; there is always the reality of the character being a goddess in a bathing suit, so you can hardly present her as dumpy. And it seems that Adam Hughes and Terry Dodson gave us much more cheesecakey versions of WW than Finch.
  • Options
    ElsiebubElsiebub Posts: 338
    edited December 2014
    I've only read the first issue (should get the next one this coming week).

I thought it was... okay. I've never been a huge fan of David Finch's art, but sometimes it's cool to look at, and overall I enjoyed what he did on the issue I read. It all looked neat (and not overly sexualized either, btw)... but I didn't think it was out-of-this-world great sequential storytelling or anything.

I think the writing was a bit awkward at times as well. Some panel-to-panel and scene-to-scene transitions just felt "off" to me, and I think this feeling was a combination of a) Meredith Finch being a newbie, b) David Finch being better at awesome images than awesome storytelling, and c) Meredith Finch not having a great handle on Diana as a character -- because I just felt that Diana's actions and reactions to things here were a bit headstrong or something. Not that Diana can't be an assertive or proactive fighting character, but the way she behaved in the first issue felt somewhat "off" to me. Not totally egregiously bad, but still "off". Maybe Meredith Finch is transitioning Diana into something different or whatever, or maybe it's all there for a reason, but just from the first issue I had a few reservations.

On the other hand I think, just on the face of it, that the idea of this series looks pretty damn great going forward. While I really like Azz and Chiang's run, I feel starved for WW interacting with the rest of the DCU (because the Justice League titles haven't interested me in years). And what's happening and coming up in the WW series so far seems like it could be a lot of fun.

So, I'm kind of ambivalent about it all but will definitely give the series a chance at least for the next six months or so (I have a subscription anyway). I do feel that a lot of the recent articles about the series have been a bit unfair, almost like the interviewers were throwing out "gotcha!" questions. "Hey, you're an untested writer who no one is familiar with, and lots of people don't like your husband's art. Why don't you say something--anything--about Diana and feminism so we can spin it into a 'controversy'?" I feel like that's basically how the Finches have been treated so far. I don't think their attempt at reconciling WW and feminism was particularly great... but I also think that many politically prejudiced people would find something to pick on no matter what they said. I don't care how the Finches would consciously enunciate the relationship between Wonder Woman and a political idea that has become incredibly nebulous and self-contradictory over the years; I care about what they actually put on the page.