Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Anti-Nolan Trilogy Sentiment: Where'd it Come From?

Ok so, despite everyone's nearly paralyzing fear that 'Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice' is going to be the final nail in the coffin for the DC cinematic universe, suddenly there seems to be hundreds of people coming out of the woodwork decrying the Nolan Batman Trilogy as an affront to the character and history of Batman.

Where the hell did that come from?

Because, correct me if I'm wrong, the world basically drooled over those movies during and after their release. (Ok, so maybe people weren't THAT thrilled with 'Dark Knight Rises', but still, it's not like it was a turdfest of a film.) People, to this day, still tout 'The Dark Knight' as quite possibly the greatest superhero film in decades (if not an achievement in all of film making to being with).

But somehow, some way, lately people have just been expressing their disapproval and sometimes downright hatred of these films. We're talking an unprecedented amount of people. (I'm seeing it on online articles AND on various social media comments and feeds. It's everywhere.)

So what the heck happened?

Comments

• Options
    RickMRickM Posts: 407
    I wish I knew.

Something similar seemed to happen with the Sam Raimi Spidey films. The third one disappointed some viewers, and suddenly Raimi's entire trilogy was bad, Toby never should have played Peter, yada yada. Lots of fanboys are too invested in the hobby to ever relax and just enjoy a movie.
  • Options
    Oh I hated the third Raimi movie from go. But that's because I'm a HUGE Venom fan and they just crapped all over that character. But my hatred of the third one doesn't, in any way, affect my love of the first two. Those were great movies for when they were made.

Sure, re-watching them now, we've had several dozen amazing superhero movies, effects have increased, the bar has been raised. But I don't watch them these days and hold them to the standard I hold modern superhero flicks to. That's just not a thought that enters my mind. Why would it?

This also kinda reminds me of the Green Lantern film. As a huge fan of the character, I was REALLY excited for it and it REALLY, REALLY let me down. But lots of people were saying that it wasn't "that bad" and that there were several highlights and that it was a pretty decent movie. Then everyone and their mother started calling it one of the worst superhero movies they'd ever seen, including the people that had previously said it wasn't all bad.

I was seriously confused. Granted, the GL example might be a case of watching it once in a theater, waiting for home video release and then paying closer attention upon several re-watches to give it a more critical eye. But to go from saying, "Hey, it wasn't half bad" to basically making the GL movie the butt of every superhero movie joke...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lu06CAEwROw

...seems like bandwagon opinion whiplash to me. I'm wondering if we aren't seeing others glom onto this "Nolan trilogy sucks" opinion just because so many others are as well.
  • Options
    Personally, my enjoyment of them lessened with each film. I loved "Batman Begins." I found the "The Dark Knight" (and, frankly, Heath Ledger's performance) to be over-rated, and "The Dark Knight Rises" was just God-awful.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    I've noticed the same trend in the past year. It's the "what have you done for me lately"/"I've got a new girl" syndrome. I've read posts on other forums basically crapping on Nolan/Bale's Batman and already stating Affleck's is closer to the source material. No basis for that other then Affleck is the new Batman & Snyder is supposed to be a fanboy. Some even imply Nolan's trilogy is the Halle Berry/Catwoman version of Batman.

I think some of the criticism stems from Nolan not doing a "comic book" movie & starting a trend for DC/WB. These same critics claim Marvel Studios makes kid movies. I guess fanboys move the goal posts as needed.

I see Nolan's trilogy as just another interpretation of the character I find very enjoyable. Are there flaws & characteristics of Batman I miss from the source material? Yup. All the movies lack aspects of the character. Hell, I thought Morrison's character lack aspects.

M

• Options
    I've vocally hated every Christopher Nolan movies for years, so it feels like a coming out party for me.

Three reasons for the hate:

1. People who never liked something feeling validation.

2.Something is popular enough, sooner or later some people will think it's cool to hate on it.

3.Then there are the people who get caught up in the hype the first time around, then upon revisiting it realize they didn't like as much as they remember and swing in the opposite direction because they feel stupid now.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    edited December 2014
    I'll add:

4. Some people on blogs and social media have some time on their hands, and maybe the kinds of movies that get released this time of the year are out of their wheelhouse (or don't get the kind of reaction and traffic they are looking for).

And it always takes less investment to re-review the old, or take a position on the unreleased; then to just go actually watch new things.
  • Options
    ElsiebubElsiebub Posts: 338
    edited December 2014
    I haven't seen this negative sentiment.

As others have said, I guess it would just be some kind of bandwagon symptom/what-have-you-done-for-me-lately?

It does feel that by now people would have moved on mentally from the Nolan Batman movies. It happens with most every franchise, and indeed it's such a known phenomenon that movie studios plan for it. "It'll take them a few years to get over the last incarnation of this franchise, then we can reboot and start over with new actors."

But to say that Nolan's Batman is on par with the Halle Berry Catwoman film, or that Dark Knight Rises is the same deal as Spider-Man 3? That's just nonsense. If people are actually getting to the point of saying that, it just seems like one-upsmanship fostered by a thoughtless social media mindset.

If some people never liked the Nolan Batman films all along, that's fine. When they were coming out, I remember that some people did indeed not like them. But if masses of people are just suddenly changing their mind on them now, that's just silly, probably due to peer-pressure trendiness or whatever... and it plays in so well to what Warner Bros. WANTS audiences to think anyway. They WANT us to be excited for the next movie and the next actor to play the character. It sounds like a conspiracy theory, but the Nolan movies were SO well received that I wouldn't put it past WB to actually have paid people to start this stuff on social media themselves. Snyder is not a beloved director and Ben Affleck was a controversial choice at first; if the Nolan films are derided in the blogosphere, it would give the new incarnation a lot of cover.
  • Options
    BrackBrack Posts: 868
    I like Nolan films on the first viewing, but always find problems that spoil my enjoyment on second viewings. Mainly storytelling and continuity problems (i.e. the glaring day to night jump in DKR's stock exchange sequence). They still look great. This is not isolated to his Batman films though, it's across his whole body of work.

So I have decided to never watch one of his films more than once.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    I've seen it. I ignore it.

Nolan gave me the Batman I'd been wanting. I found Burton's and Schumacher's versions too silly and too caught up in horrible writing. Nolan/Bale's Batman had me at the first "Swear to ME!". To me part of the point of Batman is that he scares the shit out of you if you're on the wrong side of the law. Batman Begins was the first person to really bring that point home.

I really don't care what other people think about it. Nor do I care what other people think of what I think about it. To quote Murtaugh: "I'm too old for this shit." :)
  • Options
    Torchsong said:

I've seen it. I ignore it.

Nolan gave me the Batman I'd been wanting. I found Burton's and Schumacher's versions too silly and too caught up in horrible writing. Nolan/Bale's Batman had me at the first "Swear to ME!". To me part of the point of Batman is that he scares the shit out of you if you're on the wrong side of the law. Batman Begins was the first person to really bring that point home.

I really don't care what other people think about it. Nor do I care what other people think of what I think about it. To quote Murtaugh: "I'm too old for this shit." :)

Agreed on all counts. It wasn't perfect (story logic problems, incomprehensible flow of time, etc), but, compared to what we had before, this stuff is the bomb.

The 2nd movie of the trilogy is in my top twenty list to this day.

Perhaps some of this backlash is due to the fact that it's perceived that Nolan's stuff delayed the potential for crossovers and universe building with the rest of the DCU? Who knows. Who cares.

Haters gonna hate. Entitled to their opinions. They're not going to change mine.

\m/
  • Options
    Eric_CEric_C Posts: 263
    I really don't have much to say bc @CageNarleigh‌ kind of hit right on the mark here, but I too have been seeing this on other nerd stuff and I don't get it. First, Nolan never said this was going to be the most straightforward version of Batman we will ever see and the fact is he showed it might be better this way. That trilogy is an actual piece of art and if hating on it is cool then I want to be a loser! I applaud this thread
  • Options
    I think it came from what a leaden thud the last part was. After the great reboot and the brilliant 2nd film, Returns was an overlong mess that didn't have great story the first two did.

I also think there is a reason for the Batman '66 resurgence...people want a friendly Batman. We've had 30 years of angry, mentally ill Batman, and it's time for a New Batman. I think it's why Morrison's Batman did so well both in his JLA run and when he took the reins of the series and I think it's why the TV series is seeing so much love.

Just my opinion, though.
  • Options

I also think there is a reason for the Batman '66 resurgence...people want a friendly Batman. We've had 30 years of angry, mentally ill Batman, and it's time for a New Batman.

That is an interesting thought. I am only 28, and did not grow up at the time of the "friendly Batman", nor am I an angry person by nature, but I tried out the Batman '66 stuff and couldn't get into it. I think it is a little too campy for me. I agree with you that the always dark and brooding Batman can get a bit heavy.

Do people forget that there are the many incarnations/story-lines of Batman at play? The Nolan trilogy was "Dark Knight". We have to remember that this story-line of Bruce is often much darker and bitter.

I would be fine seeing Batman without the bitter mid-life crisis feel, but don't want it to turn into "Zoinks" or "Blamo". It seems that finding the middle ground between forlorn and campy can prove a challenge at times for comic based characters.
  • Options
    My favorite Batman was the 80's Batman who still had a life as Bruce Wayne, used Matches Malone to dig up dirt on the underworld, and felt like a super-hero. It was a slow transition from the James Bond hairy chested Batman of the 70's under Neal Adams, Denny O'Neal and Frank Robbins to that character, and Gene Colon was perfect in drawing it.

You can have a friendlier Batman without going camp...look at the Batman of the early part of Julie Schwartz's tenure or the David V Reed stuff of the 70's and you get a Batman who still is serious but comes off as a bit less "God Damn Batman" than the character does now.
  • Options

I think it came from what a leaden thud the last part was. After the great reboot and the brilliant 2nd film, Returns was an overlong mess that didn't have great story the first two did.

I also think there is a reason for the Batman '66 resurgence...people want a friendly Batman. We've had 30 years of angry, mentally ill Batman, and it's time for a New Batman. I think it's why Morrison's Batman did so well both in his JLA run and when he took the reins of the series and I think it's why the TV series is seeing so much love.

Just my opinion, though.

Mentally ill?!

M
  • Options
    Matt said:

Just my opinion, though.

Mentally ill?!

M
    Yes. The Batman since about 1990 has been psychotic. "Bruce Wayne died in that alley, there is only the Batman." - Denny O'Neal when talking about the lack of Bruce Wayne in the stories he edited.

In many ways, the only difference between him and the Punisher is the Punisher uses guns and doesn't wear a cape.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881

Matt said:

Just my opinion, though.

Mentally ill?!

M
    Yes. The Batman since about 1990 has been psychotic. "Bruce Wayne died in that alley, there is only the Batman." - Denny O'Neal when talking about the lack of Bruce Wayne in the stories he edited.

In many ways, the only difference between him and the Punisher is the Punisher uses guns and doesn't wear a cape.
    I wouldn't go that far. I certainly wouldn't call Batman healthy or happy. One might diagnose that he is obsessive to the point of damaging all of his personal relationships or personal well-being, but I would say there is still a wide gap between he and the Punisher. The fact alone-- and this is a big difference-- that Wayne does not kill speaks to a kind of connection to humanity/belief in redemption or at least in mental health and impaired responsibility, that I would argue makes him more "well" than Castle. Or, at least, if not "well", then at least not as far gone.
  • Options

Matt said:

Just my opinion, though.

Mentally ill?!

M

Being highly motivated is a mental illness? There's some athletes who'd disagree.

Denny is write; the Bruce Wayne stuff always slowed the story. It's why the love interest angle never worked.

And mask. Castle doesn't wear one.

M
  • Options
    Matt said:

Matt said:

Just my opinion, though.

Mentally ill?!

M

Being highly motivated is a mental illness? There's some athletes who'd disagree.

Denny is write; the Bruce Wayne stuff always slowed the story. It's why the love interest angle never worked.

And mask. Castle doesn't wear one.

M
    Highly motivated is one thing, obsessed is quite another. Even the top athletes have days where they aren't training, have an outside life, human relationships and interests other than training.

As for the love interest angle never working, Steve Englehart's amazing run on the book would care to disagree. ^_^

Denny was right for his time. That was 20 years ago and why Judge Dredd writers did a good job under him. I think the stories with Bruce Wayne (i.e. Batman Incorporated, No Hope In Crime Alley, Batman Year One, etc...) work so well.

But we've disagreed on this one before. As long as they don't bring back Bob Kane's "Superman lite" stuff from 1950 - 1963 era, I'll deal.

• Options
    compsolut said:

I also think there is a reason for the Batman '66 resurgence...people want a friendly Batman. We've had 30 years of angry, mentally ill Batman, and it's time for a New Batman.

That is an interesting thought. I am only 28, and did not grow up at the time of the "friendly Batman", nor am I an angry person by nature, but I tried out the Batman '66 stuff and couldn't get into it. I think it is a little too campy for me. I agree with you that the always dark and brooding Batman can get a bit heavy.

Do people forget that there are the many incarnations/story-lines of Batman at play? The Nolan trilogy was "Dark Knight". We have to remember that this story-line of Bruce is often much darker and bitter.

I would be fine seeing Batman without the bitter mid-life crisis feel, but don't want it to turn into "Zoinks" or "Blamo". It seems that finding the middle ground between forlorn and campy can prove a challenge at times for comic based characters.
    I've grown to see the version referenced as "mentally ill" as an experience general & covert op. Batman is always "on" because a covert op can't afford to let his/her guard down. It could cost his/her life.

The experienced general angle is not being all smiles & happy because he's seen too much loss during the war on crime. Not taking it seriously, throwing inexperienced soldiers, and being under prepared leads to more loss.

M
  • Options
    David_D said:

Matt said:

Just my opinion, though.

Mentally ill?!

M

I wouldn't go that far. I certainly wouldn't call Batman healthy or happy. One might diagnose that he is obsessive to the point of damaging all of his personal relationships or personal well-being, but I would say there is still a wide gap between he and the Punisher. The fact alone-- and this is a big difference-- that Wayne does not kill speaks to a kind of connection to humanity/belief in redemption or at least in mental health and impaired responsibility, that I would argue makes him more "well" than Castle. Or, at least, if not "well", then at least not as far gone.
    I suppose that's true. But when it gets down to the core of the character, there's not much difference in them other than that in the last 25 or so years. Batman's relationships with other characters are what are interesting. When you strip everything away but his need for revenge...there's not much there and the villains have to bring the story.

A lot like Judge Dredd - Dredd himself is boring, it's the world and villains that make him interesting. Batman is a LOT more than that when he's in the hands of someone like Mark Waid, Grant Morrison, Alan Moore (who used "old chum" in that great Superman annual) and others.
  • Options

David_D said:

Matt said:

Just my opinion, though.

Mentally ill?!

M

I suppose that's true. But when it gets down to the core of the character, there's not much difference in them other than that in the last 25 or so years. Batman's relationships with other characters are what are interesting. When you strip everything away but his need for revenge...there's not much there and the villains have to bring the story.

A lot like Judge Dredd - Dredd himself is boring, it's the world and villains that make him interesting. Batman is a LOT more than that when he's in the hands of someone like Mark Waid, Grant Morrison, Alan Moore (who used "old chum" in that great Superman annual) and others.
    I don't know. My favorite Batman stories are more about the man & his motivation then the supporting cast around him. Addiction/cheating, being mentally & (later) physically broken, needing to accept the loss & (later) return of a partner, etc.

What's always fascinated me about the character more then anything else has been the motivation of keep moving forward. Taking the hits, reaching his limits, but keep moving forward. That's what I've tried to emulate about the character more then anything else.

M
  • Options
    ctowner1ctowner1 Posts: 481
    I really liked the first 2 movies (the first might actually be my favorite), and didn't really like the 3rd. i think it's the 3rd one that's far and away the source of any anti-nolan sentiment.

e
    L nny
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    ctowner1 said:

I really liked the first 2 movies (the first might actually be my favorite), and didn't really like the 3rd. i think it's the 3rd one that's far and away the source of any anti-nolan sentiment.

e
    L nny

I have to agree. The 3rd. movie has a "let's get this over with" feel to it.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Honestly, I was never a big fan of the Nolan movies (I liked Dark Knight alright, but the other two never did much for me), but I always assumed I was in the vast minority there. I suppose I still am, actually, it's just that there will always be people on the internet like to be contrarian.

I don't think it's just limited to his Batman movies now. When Inception first came out, everyone seemed to love it, but now there's a good number of people out there who seem to feel the need to make fun of it whenever they get a chance.
  • Options
    I never get tired of watching Inception; I just watched it again the other night.