Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1516 Talkback - Previews

Thank Goodness It's Previews! We go through the November catalog for items shipping to stores in January. (1:27:15)

Listen here.

Comments

• Options
    1) Who is this Bryan Deemer you speak of?
    2) Happy (somewhat belated because the show was taped prior to today I'm assuming) birthday, @Pants‌!
  • Options
    i_am_scifii_am_scifi Posts: 784
    edited November 2014
    To add one more on to the Previews conversation that I think @Adam_Murdough‌, @Peter‌ and @ShaneKelly‌ in particular will enjoy, as it's a take on Nightwing with some decent twists; I've read the first issue Kickstarter Edition and it was a heck of a lot of fun:

incogvito:

We are TWELVE days into the pre-order window for @IAmTheStray #1. We’re doing well on outreach, but we just don’t know who is actually pre-ordering the book. That’s where YOU, the comic book reader, becomes a large part of the marketing plan. See, what you do for us, the creators, is more than just reading. It’s more than just posting on Reddit or tweeting. It’s creating demand. Retailers are an important part of the equation, but if they don’t carry one copy, then that one person who wants the book won’t get it…and that person could be you. You can’t depend on the book being in the shop unless you ask for it. It’s that simple.

Go to this link and print out the order form, or pull via Comixology, or order online. THEY WILL ORDER IT, but you have to tell them you want it. According to The Beat, there were 2,638 Diamond accounts for retailers in the US as of September 2013 (there may be a little more, a little less today. If all of them ordered five, just FIVE, copies of‪ #‎Stray‬, that would equal to around 13.2K copies…that would be an unmitigated success for an independent superhero comic!

Need further confirmation? Check out these podcasts for more about the book: BAMF PodcastTop 5 ComicsComic Timing PodcastSuper-Fly Podcast.

I will take the “Pepsi Challenge” and put STRAY up against any book that Marvel, DC, Dark Horse and Image is putting out. And I think it’s comparable if not better. It’s easy to say, “Well, yeah, you made it. Of course you do.” True, but I think this is the story I’ve been DYING to read. And I suspect a lot of you have been too.

But this doesn’t happen without you, our audience, telling your store that you want this book. Please, we need everyone to PRE-ORDER the book. We need your help to prove the industry wrong. We need your help to boost Action Lab Entertainment to a new level. And we need your help to make more Stray! Thanks in advance!

It is also available on DCBS for $2.79 for the Mike Norton cover, and $3.49 for the Khary Randolph Variant.

Give it a go to support my man Vito!
  • Options
    ElsiebubElsiebub Posts: 338
    edited November 2014
    The current Elektra series is indeed quite good!

I especially enjoyed the first 4-5 issues, with the excellent Del Mundo artwork. For me, the standard of all Elektra titles is Elektra: Assassin, and though that sets an impossibly high standard, the art and storytelling here were reminiscent enough of that excellent/innovative/weird '80s mini-series for me to be more than pleased.

The last couple issues haven't been as great, in large part due to Del Mundo's temporary absence, but they've still been good. They're definitely something different (no time-travel or alt-universe takes on characters!!!). The way Blackman is using villains, secret organizations, and monsters here reminds me of that infamously bad second arc on Batwoman ("To Drown the World", the one that started off with Amy Reeder on art, but she left because she couldn't make sense of Blackman and JH Williams' bizarre writing directives) -- but this time around it seems like Blackman has a much better handle on the concepts or something.

I've read that Marvel brass really likes this book and its creative team, so it's being given a longer leash even though sales are not good. More people need to read this book...
  • Options
    Finished listening to this one. Only a couple of new books piqued my curiosity. Lady Killers #1 sounds very interesting. And then, of course, Dying and the Dead #1 because Hickman + bed pans + Indiana Jones = winning.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    edited November 2014
    Happy belated birthday @Pants!

Another fun episode. This was a pretty weak month for Previews (in my opinion), but you guys really made it fun. My DCBS order still went higher this month than last month. I'm disappointed to see She-Hulk cancelled, because it's been so good. And while I tend to agree with @brydeemer‌ on Allred's art, I am loving the Silver Surfer. Marvel is a juggernaut.

Oh yes, and here is that Star Wars #1 Jaxxon variant @Adam_Murdough‌ mentioned. Artist is John Tyler Christopher and it is being referred to as the "Party Variant. " I had completely missed this until hearing about it on the show and I love it. I was one of the kids that had the Marvel Special Edition before even seeing the movie and stuck with the ongoing for a few years. Never was a big fan of Jaxxon, he seemed very unoriginal and dumb, but 'nostalgia' has softened me. And I love that Marvel is not only a creative powerhouse, but are willing to poke a bit of fun at themselves while doing so.

Wonder what Roy Thomas thinks of this fun cover?

This one will be quite rare as it will only be made available at Star Wars #1 launch parties. Read the article at StarWars.com

"Nostalgia is a file that removes the rough edges from the good old days." ~ Doug Larson
  • Options
    DCBS is offering the party variant for $4.99. It's hard to choose between the party variant and the Scottie Young variant. I have to get both!
  • Options
    Please, please, please, please, let me come on when you guys do the Off the Racks with Star Wars #1!!! If you don't, it's cool, but I will probably at least then leave you a voicemail with my review once I read it that I hope you'll play. I would be honored though to join you all for it. Star Wars is the biggest thing in my life from an entertainment standpoint and always has been.

Love these episodes, guys! I am loving Spider-verse, and would love it if they could sneak a Spider-pig in the background of a panel.

I am so looking forward to Convergence and Secret Wars, but much like Deemer, I have to get caught up on issues by then.

I am really looking forward to this Dynamite King group of books. I read King's Watch and liked that, which had a lot of these characters. I also was really enjoying their Flash Gordon ongoing.

I am not getting many of the Flash variants, but I had to order the Flash issue, which had the Flash of Two Worlds cover.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    I don't understand people who don't like or use the Oxford comma.

Also, The Oxford Comma would be an awesome name for a band.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881

Too late.

I have a theory that every band name has been taken, taken, taken, and that they are all already on bandcamp.

(See what I did there ;) )
  • Options
    David_D said:

Too late.

I have a theory that every band name has been taken, taken, taken, and that they are all already on bandcamp.

(See what I did there ;) )
    The last band I was in, we had to change our name twice because we found out other bands had already taken the name, and that was 20 years ago.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    I've looked around and I can't find any sort of list for the contents of that Shazam 75th anniversary book, and that's annoying. As a big Shazam/Captain Marvel/Marvel Family fan I'd love to pre-order it, but I'm not going to do so without any idea of what's in there.
  • Options
    Thor_ElThor_El Posts: 136
    edited November 2014
    I realize this is late to the game, but I really enjoyed GUARDIANS 3000. I love Abnett's work (especially in concert with Lanning but that looks like it won't be happening anymore), and this book gave me the same kind of feeling of enjoyment that their stuff on their previous cosmic projects did.

These are my preferred member of the Guardians of the Galaxy, and I'm thrilled to see them in a new series. The art isn't what I'd ideally like to see but I can get around it since it's a fund book with characters I like. Plus, the Alex Ross covers are beautiful. I'd recommend it.

My original intent was to wait and get this in trades, but I'm so leery of any books outside of the Avengers and X-Men families having any staying power that I've elected to get the monthlies to help with the sales numbers. I'll still get the trade(s) though when they're released.
  • Options
    I enjoyed Guardians 3000 also. The first issue was a little rough in places, but I loved the connecting points of the end to the beginning. I am a fan of both versions of the GotG, so all that is going on today with all versions of the team is perfect for me.

I have the first two volumes of the 90s run that Marvel came out with recently, and I am so hoping that they come out with more volumes to complete that run....of course, like you said, the staying power may not have been there for the first two volumes.
  • Options
    I bought those Valentino trades as well and love them. I share your hope that they complete the series run.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Guardians 3000 was great!
  • Options
    alienalalienal Posts: 508
    Nice to hear the Deemer on board this time. Happy belated Birthday Pants! Haha....so funny to hear Murd with the double entendres! "Chris got me the soft cover..."
  • Options
    CageNarleighCageNarleigh Posts: 729
    edited November 2014
    @Adam_Murdough & @Pants shout out my Ragman blog on air and nobody thinks to tag me in the thread?! FOR SHAME! lol ;)

But seriously, thanks for the shout-out guys. I heard you mention I update "sometimes" Pants. Unfortunately 'tis true. I actually have taken the reigns of the LanternCast and (as you well know) podcasting (prep, recording, editing, posting and social media blitzing) can take up quite a bit of ones time.

But I AM heavily aware of the Batwoman issues that will be featuring the Ragman as a member of the team "The Unknowns" and PLAN to cover it on the blog. Time is all I need and I promise those entries will be up before you know it.

Coming soon from the Suit of Souls blog:

REVIEWS:
    Ragman #4 (1991)
    Batwoman #35 (2014)
    Batwoman #36 (2014)

IN THE PIPELINE:
    Interviews!
  • Options
    This just in... Star Wars #1 from Marvel expected to clock in at 1,000,000 copies from retail orders, making it the biggest selling comic in 20 years.

• Options
    Behold, the Action Figure variant cover drawn by John Tyler Christopher

• Options
    I am so pumped that Star Wars #1 may sell that many copies....it's a little sad that it could not achieve that at Dark Horse, but I am thrilled that it's getting this much exposure.

Not sure how I feel about the action figure cover. I think I was expecting an actual action figure diorama setup that a photo was taken of....like the old Sears catalogs would have.
  • Options
    Then look no further than the Exclusive Toy Fair Edition from Diamond...

• Options
    Thanks. I did see that after I made my post. That is pretty awesome!
  • Options
    I am amazed at all of the variant covers. Part of me wishes there were not so many, but then I see the next one and I fall in love with what was done.
  • Options
    I'm a little put off by a few of them. Do we really need a Boba Fett cover? Is he going to appear in this issue? If so, then maybe it works, but I'm beginning to think they are milking this a bit too far. One book is enough for me.
  • Options
    I absolutely agree that they are milking it, but they would do the same for anything that is selling that many issues. I know a lot of people (most people in fact) that are just going to get the one issue and that is it (which I think is true for most comic purchases). I'm someone that will get a variant cover here and there, but rarely get several for one issue.

Star Wars is the exception for me because it has been such a huge part of my life since I was little. I wouldn't be this way for any other comic. I know I will not be able to get all of the variants (a couple are just too expensive), but I will be trying to get many of them. Personally I love the art that is coming out for these covers and hope that in the end they will put all of the covers in a hardcover collection or spread them out over the various trades for the series.
  • Options
    I bet you could hold off on getting the standard direct market or subscription editions for a while, maybe even a few months and pick them up cheap later. So many comic shops are going to have extra copies of this, it'll be like when the X-Men relaunched in the 90's. Dollar bin, here we go.
  • Options
    I love the variant covers for the art (in most cases), but don't want (or need) to shell out the money for each individual copy. I would much rather Marvel put together a nice collection of these in a hardcover format that I could get as a table book to enjoy.
  • Options
    I said the exact same thing about a table book. I would love that. With how many covers are coming out, they could totally do that.
  • Options
    Agreed, i would much rather have a table book.