Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1528 Talkback - Top 5: Wild Card Round!

Comments

• Options
    TheOriginalGManTheOriginalGMan Posts: 1,763
    edited January 2015

Good list. Be sure to check out "Unbroken" when you can.

It's on my list! I have no doubt after doing so that "Victory" will be lobbying for me to expand the list to "Top 6 World War II POW movies." :-)

• Options

@Adam_Murdough I have to ask, as an Oz fan, have you ever seen the charmingly low-budget 1969 film The Wonderful Land Of Oz? Sarah and I host a weekly movie night for our friends and we actually put together an entire Oz-themed month a few years ago which is where we first came across it.

Never heard of it, but it sounds like it ought to be in my viewing queue! Especially since a quick trip to Wikipedia tells me it's a fairly faithful adaptation of Baum's second book--or as faithful as its budget would allow, at least. How low a budget are we talking about here? Comparable to the cult classic "Santa Claus Conquers the Martians," made at about the same time and for a similar audience?
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967

Good list. Be sure to check out "Unbroken" when you can.

It's on my list! I have no doubt after doing so that "Victory" will be lobbying for me to expand the list to "Top 6 World War II POW movies." :-)

Absolutely - you have to keep "Victory" on the list. One of my favorite POW movies, even though I've always felt there was an editing error during the big game at the end. I'd have to watch it again to be more specific. I think I must have seen it 20+ times as a fourteen year old on HBO one summer. Good pick @TheOriginalGMan
  • Options
    DmanDman Posts: 163

I'll play along. Here's my top 5 World War II POW movies:

1) Empire of the Sun (starring a 12 year old Christian Bale in the greatest child acting performance of all-time)

Totally agree!

• Options
    This is fun. My Top 5 Bond Theme Songs

5) Nobody Does it Better (The Spy who Loved Me)-Carly Simon
    4) Die Another Day-Madonna (I said it AND I MEANT IT)
    3) Goldfinger-Shirley Bassey
    2) View to a Kill- Duran Duran
    1) Live and Let Die- Paul McCartney with Wings

Honorable Mention time-
    Man with the Golden Gun-Lulu
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803

You know, sometimes words can hurt, @playdohsrepublic‌. :D
  • Options

Honorable Mention time-

Swap out Die Another Day with You Only Live Twice and I'm right there with you. Also, check out YOLT cover by Mark Lanegan.

And I highly suggest the James Bonding podcast for you.
  • Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128

And for something of my own top five... Top Five Beatles Songs:

1. A Day in the Life
    2. Tomorrow Never Knows
    3. You Never Give Me Your Money
    4. Happiness Is a Warm Gun
    5. Rain

Honorable mention to Mean Mr. Mustard... where part of my name comes from.

I applaud your choices especially 2 and 3

• Options

Honorable Mention time-

Swap out Die Another Day with You Only Live Twice and I'm right there with you. Also, check out YOLT cover by Mark Lanegan.

And I highly suggest the James Bonding podcast for you.
    As a matter of fact, that was what got me thinking about it! As for Die Another Day, it falls under the category "I know it's bad, but I like it anyway". Sometimes the heart wants what the heart wants.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457

Honorable Mention time-

I'm there with you. There are times I'm having a shitty day & I think about that song...as I mutter "die another day."

M
  • Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    I'd have A View to a Kill as the best Bond song

• Options

Honorable Mention time-

I'd take Sheena Easton or Tina Turner or Ah-Ha or Adele over your number 4, but I appreciate your boldness.
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820

I'll play along. Here's my top 5 World War II POW movies:

2) The Bridge on the River Kwai

This made me think of my Top 5 War Movie Soundtracks. I apologize in advance for leaving off a number of really great tunes.

Patton
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdEy4GneZfw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9egCaKE3eE

Captain America
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srnxYb-hbK8

Band of Brothers
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uTAIpU0sa0

The Great Escape
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ieaYqW9FcA
  • Options

Honorable Mention time-

I'd take Sheena Easton or Tina Turner or Ah-Ha or Adele over your number 4, but I appreciate your boldness.
    Tina Turner, a-Ha and Adele were 7, 8 and 9 respectively with Sheryl Crow rounding out the top ten.
  • Options

Honorable Mention time-

Tina Turner, a-Ha and Adele were 7, 8 and 9 respectively with Sheryl Crow rounding out the top ten.
    An excellent round-up for sure.
  • Options
    I have actually never read the Benchley novel, but I am familiar with some of the key
    plot points that the movie jettisons (i.e. Hooper's behavior and fate). Frankly, I am glad that Spielberg and co. made those changes, as the chemistry between Hooper and Brody is one of the highlights of the film. I have been told on more than one occasion by those who have read the novel that the film version is superior to the book.

Great episode, guys! It was very fun learning more about your individual interests outside of comics.

@Adam_Murdough I have to ask, as an Oz fan, have you ever seen the charmingly low-budget 1969 film The Wonderful Land Of Oz? Sarah and I host a weekly movie night for our friends and we actually put together an entire Oz-themed month a few years ago which is where we first came across it.

Also, this question is aimed mainly at Chris but any of the Geeks or forum members are welcome to answer as well. Have you read the novel Jaws by Peter Benchley and, if so, what were your thoughts?

• Options
    shroud68shroud68 Posts: 457

Honorable Mention time-

I am very disappointed in the Craig era songs. Chris Cornell's song for Royale was neither Bond nor really a Cornell song. Quantam's White/Keys song was as forgettable as the film. I suppose Adele's Skyfall tried to hit the LuLu/Bassey vibe but it fell short. That being said:

5- View to a Kill The last great Bond Pop hit
    4- Diamonds are Forever I actually like this one. It hits the spot for me. Great lyrics
    3- Octopussy "All Time High". Very 80's contemporary soft rock Helen Reddy.
    2- Live and Let Die Of course
    1- Nobody Does It Better Perfect synthesis of song/character. Best song+Best movie
  • Options
    Personally, I loved Adele's "Skyfall."
  • Options

Ditto, and I loved the film as well.

• Options
    DmanDman Posts: 163

Ditto, and I loved the film as well.

Same here! Then again, I'm biased because I truly believe both Daniel Craig and Adele can do no wrong. :smile:
  • Options
    Evening639Evening639 Posts: 368
    edited January 2015

Never heard of it, but it sounds like it ought to be in my viewing queue! Especially since a quick trip to Wikipedia tells me it's a fairly faithful adaptation of Baum's second book--or as faithful as its budget would allow, at least. How low a budget are we talking about here? Comparable to the cult classic "Santa Claus Conquers the Martians," made at about the same time and for a similar audience?
    I would say comparable to Santa Claus Conquers The Martians in budget. Slightly better acted, though. Certainly worth at least one view, although I seem to remember paying a pretty penny for the DVD, so it's definitely a borrow unless you can find it cheap.

• Options
    My top five DC Comic Series Written By John Ostrander:

5 - Martian Manhunter
    4 - Firestorm
    3 - Hawkworld
    2 - Suicide Squad
    1 - The Spectre!
  • Options
    alienalalienal Posts: 508
    This thread's gotten long and I don't wanna go through looking to see if this was mentioned, but was Pant's Schoolhouse Rock top 5 #3 the song that inspired (informed?) Jack Black in School of Rock? He had a song that he that he made up to cover up the fact that he was using guitar in class and the tune sounds similar.

Shane's "In My Comic Room": well, right now my whole apartment is my comic room while I'm trying to organize all my books. Don't go in for figures, toy, and statues so at least I'm saving a little space. Haha... That baseball story and exhibit sounds fantastic!

Murd's Oz books: wow, there's more than two? Interesting rundown of Murd's favorites. Love the world building that was done for that series.

Chris's Favorite Movies: Jaws: saw it a few times. It's a winnah! / Tootsie: Hmm....didn't really do anything for me. / The Godfather: Yeah, intense movie... / Lawrence of Arabia: saw it all the way through once, but couldn't get through it few times after that. / Casablanca: MAYBE I saw it once on TV, but haven't seen it in its entirety since.

Matt's Top 5 Security Tips: 1) all a word code. Good idea 2) Oh, overlapping timers. Awesome! 3) Smoke detector nanny cam! Good! 4) Note codes? 5) looking around. I'd add that u should be looking around AT PEOPLE. Not at buildings, which would identify you as a newbie.

• Options
    I thought Matt was suggesting "all a word code" is for the situations where the parameter of the code is that it must be numeric only. At least for me that is an extremely rare case. Usually codes are allowed to be alphanumeric, and then in those situations it is suggested to not have it be just letters/word(s).
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457

I thought Matt was suggesting "all a word code" is for the situations where the parameter of the code is that it must be numeric only. At least for me that is an extremely rare case. Usually codes are allowed to be alphanumeric, and then in those situations it is suggested to not have it be just letters/word(s).

That is correct; garage door passcode units, iphone lock codes, etc. when you need to use strictly numbers 0-9, I recommend using a word rather then thinking of a number.

M
  • Options
    I absolutely loved this episode, and definitely hope you guys do it again. Kudos to Pants for the idea.

I loved School House Rocks while I was growing up. So many great memories from that. I didn't know all of the ones that Pants played, but I knew a few of them. Great list, sir!

Shane had me thinking about what is in my geek room that means the most to me, so it was great to get nostalgic and to hear what he had.

Murd, I am a fan of Oz....nowhere near your level (I am envious of your knowledge and history of it). I could listen to a full podcast series of you talking about each Oz book. I had no idea there were 40 considered part of the canon. I had 2 or 3 as a kid and read those (I also liked the Return to Oz movie). You talking about the books made me print off a list of all 40, and I plan to hopefully obtain each one in some nice format (preferably hardcover editions) and read through them.

I loved Chris' list of top movies. I love Jaws, but it did instill an intense fear of swimming underwater in the ocean....but I still have....so maybe it's not so intense. Star Wars would definitely be number one on my list for all of the reasons you had your movies on your list. It was hugely innovative for its time, it's a movie I can just have on constantly and never tire of it, and most importantly, it profoundly has impacted my life in so many great ways. Raiders of the Lost Ark would be #2 for many of the same reasons.

• Options
    Royal_LanternRoyal_Lantern Posts: 291
    edited January 2015
    Okay, so here is my first wild card top 5 solely personal to me (and much like you guys, I have so many I could do).

My Top 5 Favorite 80s Cartoons:

5) He-Man and the Masters of the Universe
    4) Thundercats
    3) Thundarr the Barbarian
    2) G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero
    1) The Transformers

Honorable Mentions: Visionaries, M.A.S.K., Gobots, Defenders of the Earth, and Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors
  • Options
    JDickJDick Posts: 206
    In the mid 90s there were so many CDs with promotional copies that flooded the market. I think everyone I know owns that Saturday Morning Cartoons and DGC Rarities (a previously unreleased Nirvana song was the big deal on that one) and nobody paid for either.
    I also remember all the "tribute" cds from the mid 90s that were released and just sucked. Encomium: Led Zeppelin tribute, If I Were a Carpenter, Where Is My Mind: Pixies Tribute and finally Stone Free the tribute to Jimi Hendrix. Ugh.
  • Options
    SpydesSpydes Posts: 35
    I was inspired by the latest Top 5 episode to make a list of my own. Thus, I present my:

Top 5 Time Travel Films:
    1. Back to the Future (The gold standard. Have seen it easily more than 100 times. Own it on Blu Ray. If I stumble upon it on cable, I am definitely locked in.)

2. Terminator 2 (Perhaps a stretch for this list, as the time travel element is not stressed as a core theme of the film. But, I'll skate on the technicality and go with a sci-fi classic replete with Arnold-isms and special effects that still hold up nearly 20 years later.)

3. Planet of the Apes ("Get your stinking paws off my Top 5 list, you damn dirty apes!")

4. Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure (I know this is a movie completely devoid of all substance and I am admittedly having a difficult time defending my selection, but... San Demas High School Football Rules!!)

5. Hot Tub Time Machine (Again, this is not the film for you if you approach a time traveling film wearing a white coat, holding a clipboard, and hoping to learn a touch about string theory. It's silly, but it's supposed to be, so sit back and enjoy!)

So, what'ya think? Find any major holes in my list? Other nominations for consideration? Let the debate begin!
    8->
  • Options
    Spydes said:

I was inspired by the latest Top 5 episode to make a list of my own. Thus, I present my:

Top 5 Time Travel Films:
    1. Back to the Future (The gold standard. Have seen it easily more than 100 times. Own it on Blu Ray. If I stumble upon it on cable, I am definitely locked in.)

2. Terminator 2 (Perhaps a stretch for this list, as the time travel element is not stressed as a core theme of the film. But, I'll skate on the technicality and go with a sci-fi classic replete with Arnold-isms and special effects that still hold up nearly 20 years later.)

3. Planet of the Apes ("Get your stinking paws off my Top 5 list, you damn dirty apes!")

4. Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure (I know this is a movie completely devoid of all substance and I am admittedly having a difficult time defending my selection, but... San Demas High School Football Rules!!)

5. Hot Tub Time Machine (Again, this is not the film for you if you approach a time traveling film wearing a white coat, holding a clipboard, and hoping to learn a touch about string theory. It's silly, but it's supposed to be, so sit back and enjoy!)

So, what'ya think? Find any major holes in my list? Other nominations for consideration? Let the debate begin!
    8->

You left out the classic! H G Wells' The Time Machine by George Pal and starring the recently passed Rod Taylor! Even today, I still get a thrill watching the Traveller's machine pass through the timestream into the future.