Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Best DC Crossover Event?

2»

Comments

• Options
    shaneb said:

Why does Crisis stand out so much still?

You had DC's two top creators at their peak, a story that DID change things, and they were able to make it seem like more than a crossover by focusing on human reactions to all of the big stuff going on.

• Options
    shanebshaneb Posts: 109
    I'm pretty deep on Final Crisis right now, read a couple of the tie-ins. Now, I know it is pretty common to be pretty confused, but I don't think I'm supposed to be this confused. To really understand this, is it necessary to have read other crisis events, multiversity books, Seven Soldiers, New Gods, and some of the countdown?

Also, in general, what are people's thoughts? I am enjoying the biblical stuff, and treating Darkseid as the anti-christ, but there are times I am just kind of running through the book blindly, confused by all the cosmic dialogue.
  • Options
    shroud68shroud68 Posts: 457

shaneb said:

Why does Crisis stand out so much still?

You had DC's two top creators at their peak, a story that DID change things, and they were able to make it seem like more than a crossover by focusing on human reactions to all of the big stuff going on.

Crisis also delivered what it promised. It built up expectations and then met them and then some. It killed two major characters in organic, story driven ways that punched you so hard in the gut. The Flash's death is done so well and don't get me started on Supergirl. From the first scene with the Crime Syndicate getting wiped out to the Psycho Pirate fade out, it all worked perfectly. Add in the years long build up that at the time was really exciting, add in the tie ins that , while being the weak link, still manged to fit together. Crisis is the ultimate cross over, conceived, executed and delivered flawlessly.
  • Options
    shaneb said:

I'm pretty deep on Final Crisis right now, read a couple of the tie-ins. Now, I know it is pretty common to be pretty confused, but I don't think I'm supposed to be this confused. To really understand this, is it necessary to have read other crisis events, multiversity books, Seven Soldiers, New Gods, and some of the countdown?

Also, in general, what are people's thoughts? I am enjoying the biblical stuff, and treating Darkseid as the anti-christ, but there are times I am just kind of running through the book blindly, confused by all the cosmic dialogue.

I would have recommended reading Morrison's Seven Soldiers series as a prologue to Final Crisis... and you'll want to read Batman: RIP afterwards.
  • Options
    shanebshaneb Posts: 109
    So how are people liking Convergence so far? I'm waiting to let a few issues and tie-ins get stacked up before I dive in. Little concerned I'm not going to have enough background to get most of it.
  • Options
    RepoManRepoMan Posts: 327
    Although I was a bit put off by the first two issues as mentioned in another thread, I didn't think they were so confusing for someone not up on the New 52. For issue #0, other than Superman's costume being updated, it felt like the story could've taken place pre or post Flashpoint. It almost felt like the time when they upgraded Brainiac for Y2K - this Brainiac is "alien" but no more alien than previous experiences.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    Crisis on Infinite Earths, Infinite Crisis, and Blackest Night for me.
  • Options
    I just came across this Wikipedia page - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Publication_history_of_DC_Comics_crossover_events - and wondered if all of DC's crossovers are really listed there.

My personal favorites though are:

Crisis on Infinite Earths
    Final Crisis and Batman: RIP (the latter of which isn't listed in that wiki article)
    Batman: Death of the Family
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457

I just came across this Wikipedia page - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Publication_history_of_DC_Comics_crossover_events - and wondered if all of DC's crossovers are really listed there.

Final Crisis and Batman: RIP (the latter of which isn't listed in that wiki article)

I take issue with some of those listed. Crisis, Zero Hour, Throne of Atlantis, etc; those are events spanning the company.

Knightfall, First Lantern, etc; those are character events. Sure those crossed over into multiple titles (I haven't read Zero Year, but I thought that was only in Batman with other Bat-books getting tie-ins?), but they didn't really encompass most/all of the DCU.

If those count as "crossover events" then readers are essentially getting multiple events a year. Not really a "hey, this is some important shit" situation.

M
  • Options
    Good point Matt.

Here's the talk page for that article where back in 2006 people talked about what should be in the list - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Publication_history_of_DC_Comics_crossover_events#Eligibility
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    Matt said:

I take issue with some of those listed. Crisis, Zero Hour, Throne of Atlantis, etc; those are events spanning the company.

Knightfall, First Lantern, etc; those are character events. Sure those crossed over into multiple titles (I haven't read Zero Year, but I thought that was only in Batman with other Bat-books getting tie-ins?), but they didn't really encompass most/all of the DCU.

If those count as "crossover events" then readers are essentially getting multiple events a year. Not really a "hey, this is some important shit" situation.

M
    Zero Year included single issues of the Flash, Green Lantern, and Green Arrow. (And maybe a few others. I forgot. None of them were necessary.)
  • Options
    SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445
    I think any story that starts in one comic and goes into another should be considered a crossover....which makes modern comics very messy, but it's pretty rare you can buy a single comic and get a single story at the big two.
  • Options

I think any story that starts in one comic and goes into another should be considered a crossover....which makes modern comics very messy, but it's pretty rare you can buy a single comic and get a single story at the big two.

So that's what a story arc is, which comicbookdb.com has as a field in their database.