Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Where do you see comics heading?

2»

Comments

• KyleMoyerKyleMoyer Posts: 727
    and let's not get started on Batman - a comic book, movie, cartoon AND video game star.
    Don't forget the Underoos. In the end that's where the the real money lies. Not the comics, not the movies, not the cartoons, not the video games... the real money's to be made in licensing.
    I thought you were going to say the real money was to made in undergarments.
  • WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    and let's not get started on Batman - a comic book, movie, cartoon AND video game star.
    Don't forget the Underoos. In the end that's where the the real money lies. Not the comics, not the movies, not the cartoons, not the video games... the real money's to be made in licensing.
    I thought you were going to say the real money was to made in undergarments.
    Underoos are (to me at least) the most amusing example of successful licensing.

Besides being kids' undies, which has loads of inherent comedic potential, there's the brilliant evocation of the secret identity.

• SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445
    Back to the original question. Are artist valued as much as writers?
    I'll answer that question with two names:

1) Stan Lee

2) Jack Kirby
    Stan was more than just a writer. He was also art director, editor in chief, head of HR, proofreader, art corrections, etc... After the distributor collapse of 1957, it was a one man office, and Stan didn't even get a secretary until Flo started work there in the early 60's. Stan worked the business end for Marvel from 1941 until about 1972 with his only break being WWII. Stan would write on the side, but by 1957, he wrote everything because there were no other employees. As Marvel came into existence in 1961, he was able to give some of his writing workload to freelancers.

And if you think he got paid extra for writing in the 50's, you're solely mistaken. It was considered part of his editorial duties to try to save money...and Goodman was all about saving money.

So, with those two names, you made my point: OFFICE PEOPLE matter more than writers OR artists.
    So, with those two names, you made my point: OFFICE PEOPLE matter more than writers OR artists.
    I totally agree with you. Management vs. Labor is the issue, not Writers vs. Artists.

And besides, Writing IS an Art.
  • DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    edited April 2012
    The Manzier

Heh, @Zhurrie.

I prefer the Bro.

;))
  • KyleMoyerKyleMoyer Posts: 727
    edited May 2012

Why is Superman standing around thinking about children's underwear?

Why is Superman standing around thinking about children's underwear?
    ... I need an adult.
  • QuinQuestionQuinQuestion Posts: 130
    edited May 2012
    I think that artist are appreciated by the fans but many people do not realize the amount of creative effort the artist himself puts into a story. On a side note an artist can make a good story absolutely stellar but can only turn a piece crap into eye candy and nothing more. A bad artist can also ruin a great story.
    I think that artist are appreciated by the fans but many people do not realize the amount of creative effort the artist himself puts into a story. On a side not an artist can make a good story absolutely stellar but can only turn a piece crap into eye candy and nothing more. A bad artist can also ruin a great story.
    I'm trying to gear myself to be more aware of the art.
  • TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    I think that artist are appreciated by the fans but many people do not realize the amount of creative effort the artist himself puts into a story. On a side not an artist can make a good story absolutely stellar but can only turn a piece crap into eye candy and nothing more. A bad artist can also ruin a great story.
    First and foremost, I consider myself a writer. I'm grateful to have Steve (Flint) do the art chores on Thugs! because he has a good grasp of how to use artwork to tell a story. To give myself a better understanding of this (you'd think after reading comics for some 30 odd years I'd have it figured out!) I took to drawing (for better or worse) my own books. And it's really night and day. I'm not going to bad-mouth my own stuff, but there's a definite difference in the way I approach it as to how Steve does.

Or, as someone put it at a recent signing "Jesus, Clairemont!* Got enough words on this page?!?" :)

* Chris Clairemont - if you can't catch the joke on this one, you have some back issues to go read! :)

So as I begin work on Travis the Undying issue 2 (and Dedlock issue 2) my goal is to start letting my art do more "talking" and to back off as a writer. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

• BlackUmbrellaBlackUmbrella Posts: 208
    No kids want pajamas and bedsheets that just have the words "Batman" written in Helvetica all over them. That's all I have to say about that.

Seriously, though... I do think the recent trend of having successful novelists as comic book writers and the marketing of trades in traditional bookstores where those names are already known has led companies to put the writer out front in terms of marketing. If a celebrity artist (please don't ask me to name one) was brought in to draw Superman, you might have an opposite dynamic.

The importance of artist vs. writer shouldn't even be a serious discussion among pros or fans, IMHO. When both are great, the book is great. If one is lacking, it's fairly obvious (and frustrating). I personally struggle greatly to enjoy a book with art I don't like.
  • FlintlockjawFlintlockjaw Posts: 247
    Where do i see comics heading?

Down the street, to the nearest bar...and getting shitfaced.
  • chrisruggiachrisruggia Posts: 40
    Everyone reads differently, of course, but for myself I find the art does the short sell and the writing the long sell.

I don't generally buy comics because of the title characters and I rarely read ongoing series, so the visuals are the thing that can draw me in, and as an artist myself I get great pleasure from looking at drawings. I respond very strongly to cartooning with energy -- like Fabio Moon's Serenity story for FCBD!! Best-looking, most fun-to-read Firefly comic ever! I dearly wish more licensed properties would give up on trying and inevitably failing to make their drawings look just like the actors, loosen up, and let the artwork live a little (Sorry, just had to throw that in)...

But the story is the thing that delivers the goods. If the story is lacking, I feel let down even if the art is first-rate, and there have been books that I loved despite art that I could barely stand, purely on the strength of the writing.

What any of this says about the future of the medium, I couldn't tell you. Except that I'm sure I miss a lot of great writing because its art doesn't jump off the shelf and into my arms.
    No kids want pajamas and bedsheets that just have the words "Batman" written in Helvetica all over them. That's all I have to say about that.
    I've gotta do a Helvetica "Batman" t-shirt for HeroesCon!