Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1528 Talkback - Top 5: Wild Card Round!

13»

Comments

• Options

You left out the classic! H G Wells' The Time Machine by George Pal and starring the recently passed Rod Taylor! Even today, I still get a thrill watching the Traveller's machine pass through the timestream into the future.

Check out the book Time Ships by Stephen Baxter, a sequel to The Time Machine.
  • Options
    shroud68shroud68 Posts: 457
    Spydes said:

I was inspired by the latest Top 5 episode to make a list of my own. Thus, I present my:

Top 5 Time Travel Films:
    1. Back to the Future (The gold standard. Have seen it easily more than 100 times. Own it on Blu Ray. If I stumble upon it on cable, I am definitely locked in.)

2. Terminator 2 (Perhaps a stretch for this list, as the time travel element is not stressed as a core theme of the film. But, I'll skate on the technicality and go with a sci-fi classic replete with Arnold-isms and special effects that still hold up nearly 20 years later.)

3. Planet of the Apes ("Get your stinking paws off my Top 5 list, you damn dirty apes!")

4. Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure (I know this is a movie completely devoid of all substance and I am admittedly having a difficult time defending my selection, but... San Demas High School Football Rules!!)

5. Hot Tub Time Machine (Again, this is not the film for you if you approach a time traveling film wearing a white coat, holding a clipboard, and hoping to learn a touch about string theory. It's silly, but it's supposed to be, so sit back and enjoy!)

So, what'ya think? Find any major holes in my list? Other nominations for consideration? Let the debate begin!
    8->

I cannot argue with #1 being number One. And to make some of us feel older T2 was filmed and FXed 25 years ago. Saying "Nearly 20" is a cheat that I cannot allow myself to repeat because it is my favorite Sci-Fi/Action movie ever and that I saw it summer of 1991 makes me sad ( and old )

Time After Time should be considered. HG Wells vs Jack the Ripper in 1980 San Francisco. Great cast, great film.
  • Options
    SpydesSpydes Posts: 35

You left out the classic! H G Wells' The Time Machine by George Pal and starring the recently passed Rod Taylor! Even today, I still get a thrill watching the Traveller's machine pass through the timestream into the future.

@Chuck_Melville I actually considered including The Time Machine but my experience is limited to the book. Having never seen the movie version, I couldn't personally justify ranking it. But thanks for the suggestion. I will have to check out the film sometime!
  • Options
    shroud68 said:

I cannot argue with #1 being number One. And to make some of us feel older T2 was filmed and FXed 25 years ago. Saying "Nearly 20" is a cheat that I cannot allow myself to repeat because it is my favorite Sci-Fi/Action movie ever and that I saw it summer of 1991 makes me sad ( and old )

Time After Time should be considered. HG Wells vs Jack the Ripper in 1980 San Francisco. Great cast, great film.

@shroud68 Truth be told, I intentionally fudged a bit on the date for T2 because I was too old and by proxy sad to admit it's true age. ;)

Also, thanks for the tip on Time After Time. Sounds like a wild concept to me. I will have to check it out. Perhaps I can grab it through Netflix.
  • Options
    Spydes said:

I was inspired by the latest Top 5 episode to make a list of my own. Thus, I present my:

Top 5 Time Travel Films:
    1. Back to the Future (The gold standard. Have seen it easily more than 100 times. Own it on Blu Ray. If I stumble upon it on cable, I am definitely locked in.)

2. Terminator 2 (Perhaps a stretch for this list, as the time travel element is not stressed as a core theme of the film. But, I'll skate on the technicality and go with a sci-fi classic replete with Arnold-isms and special effects that still hold up nearly 20 years later.)

3. Planet of the Apes ("Get your stinking paws off my Top 5 list, you damn dirty apes!")

4. Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure (I know this is a movie completely devoid of all substance and I am admittedly having a difficult time defending my selection, but... San Demas High School Football Rules!!)

5. Hot Tub Time Machine (Again, this is not the film for you if you approach a time traveling film wearing a white coat, holding a clipboard, and hoping to learn a touch about string theory. It's silly, but it's supposed to be, so sit back and enjoy!)

So, what'ya think? Find any major holes in my list? Other nominations for consideration? Let the debate begin!
    8->

Solid list. T2 totally counts. I'd probably have 12 Monkeys above Bill and Ted, knocking out Hot Tub Time Machine (which might still make the top 10).
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    Spydes said:

Top 5 Time Travel Films:

8->

MIne would be:
    1) Groundhog Day—Not your typical variation of time travel, but I think it counts.
    2) Slaughterhouse-Five—Similar to Groundhog Day, Billy Pilgrim is time-travelling in and out of his own body at various points of his life, but a great movie based on a great book.
    3) 12 Monkeys
    4) Back to the Future
    5) Time Bandits—How has this one not been mentioned yet?

• Options

Spydes said:

Top 5 Time Travel Films:

8->

MIne would be:
    1) Groundhog Day—Not your typical variation of time travel, but I think it counts.
    2) Slaughterhouse-Five—Similar to Groundhog Day, Billy Pilgrim is time-travelling in and out of his own body at various points of his life, but a great movie based on a great book.
    3) 12 Monkeys
    4) Back to the Future

I originally included Time Bandits in my post, but thought two Terry Gilliam movies was too much. I also included Back to the Future part 2 which I think is a better time travel movie than the first but not a better movie than the first.
  • Options

Spydes said:

Top 5 Time Travel Films:

8->

MIne would be:
    3) 12 Monkeys
    4) Back to the Future

I originally included Time Bandits in my post, but thought two Terry Gilliam movies was too much. I also included Back to the Future part 2 which I think is a better time travel movie than the first but not a better movie than the first.
    Ahh, you can never have too many Terry Gilliam movies.
  • Options
    JDickJDick Posts: 206

Spydes said:

Top 5 Time Travel Films:

8->

MIne would be:
    3) 12 Monkeys
    4) Back to the Future

Ahh, you can never have too many Terry Gilliam movies.
    Anyone watching the 12 Monkeys TV show? Its good.
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    I was bumping around the "Comic Cover a Day" thread. nweathington posted a cover to one of my favorite Brave and the Bold comics. It got me thinking about comics that I absolutely love. So, I'm going to try to post a list of my Top 5 Favorite Comics - OF ALL TIME!
    Btw, my one caveat is that these are comics from my collection.

This comic literally changed my life.
    My Father was a college football player and HS Football Coach. He has very set ideas about leadership and what a leader is. ST2179 is all about leadership and the ideas presented changed me profoundly.

My all time favorite issue of Brave and the Bold. Like many of you, the first time I read this story was in an 100pg Issue of B&tB. When I had the money, and opportunity I bought a copy of the issue.
    The illustration is beautifully restrained. I've tried to find other examples of Howard Purcell's work and have failed.

I really detest the notion that Captain Marvel is just whimsy skewed towards young readers. This issue of Captain Marvel Adventures features a story that would make Grant Morrison's head spin. Wonderfully sophisticated.

Denny O'Neil, Neal Adams, Dick Giordano. Nuff Said.

Dave Cockrum's bikini Legion!
    I had a friend that gave me his copy. Everytime I was at his house I would grab the book and just study it.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    rebis said:

Dave Cockrum's bikini Legion!

I used to own this, but it had no cover. Great comic! Now I must find it again :)

• Options
    rebis said:

I've tried to find other examples of Howard Purcell's work and have failed.

He left comics in 1972. Probably the easiest stuff of his to find would be his run on Sea Devils (issues #16–35). I think I have one of his many Mr. District Attorney issues from the late ’50s.
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820

rebis said:

I've tried to find other examples of Howard Purcell's work and have failed.

He left comics in 1972. Probably the easiest stuff of his to find would be his run on Sea Devils (issues #16–35). I think I have one of his many Mr. District Attorney issues from the late ’50s.
    Thank you.
  • Options
    I recall Purcell also did a couple of jobs at Marvel, such as a Black Knight story for Marvel Super-Heroes #17
  • Options

I recall Purcell also did a couple of jobs at Marvel, such as a Black Knight story for Marvel Super-Heroes #17

Yeah, he did one job for Marvel very early in his career, and a handful of issues near the end of his career—basically fill-ins and backups. That Black Knight story was his only full-length story for Marvel.
  • Options
    Hey guys...

I was thinking back on my list of time traveling films, and it occurred to me that I should try to apply my love of time travel to comics. *-:) I haven't read too many comics where time travel was a central theme. I do have the first issue of Chrononauts (from Image) preordered as it seems like an intriguing premise (and also happens to one of the Off the Racks selections!).

Can anyone recommend some solid time travel titles, both current series and perhaps some older books that I can search for in back issues? :-?

Thanks!
  • Options
    Spydes said:

Hey guys...

I was thinking back on my list of time traveling films, and it occurred to me that I should try to apply my love of time travel to comics. *-:) I haven't read too many comics where time travel was a central theme. I do have the first issue of Chrononauts (from Image) preordered as it seems like an intriguing premise (and also happens to one of the Off the Racks selections!).

Can anyone recommend some solid time travel titles, both current series and perhaps some older books that I can search for in back issues? :-?

Thanks!

I have fond memories of the time travel arc that took place in West Coast Avengers from #17-#24, Egypt and the old west. Yee-Haw!
  • Options
    Spydes said:

Hey guys...

Thanks!

I'll be the first to jump up and yell Rip Hunter, Time Master! You can get the original stories from the 50's and 60's in one of DC's Showcase volumes, but I'll warn you that the tales are repetitious and formulaic. I will recommend the post-Crisis version titled Time Hunters from about '87 - '88... it's a much better read and bumps up against a few other DC storylines in progress. You might find a trade on eBay, if not at your local shop.

Other time travelers I can think of would be Timewalker from Valiant back in the 90's (and which I believe is being revived as Ivar, Timewalker from the current Valiant)...

There have been scores of time-travel stories at Marvel, ranging from the early days of the FF (when Dr Doom sent the back to face Blackbeard the Pirate) to the Avengers (most recently, the Age Of Ultron which utilized time as a weapon; then there were the several Kang wars...)...

DC has its share. Heck, the Legion of Super-Heroes were skipping through time practically every week. One of the classic Swamp Thing runs had Swampi's soul skipping back through time when it was displaced in the present. Green Lantern (Hal Jordan) had a secret identity in the far future, one that he didn't know about. And you can always check out the DC One Million event where the JLA has a contest with its descendants in the far future.

And if you like TV tie-ins, there's always the classic Time Tunnel from the 60's... which I believe was recently collected in hard cover.

Just a few for thought.
  • Options
    I think the newer Booster Gold series was a great time travel series. The one just before Flashpoint .

Also maybe Hourman from 1999, 25 issues.
  • Options
    @Chuck_Melville Thanks for such a comprehensive outline of time travel in comics! I knew I came to the right place. lol I will definitely keep an eye out for these titles as I scour the long boxes of local cons. /:)
  • Options
    @ShaneKelly Thanks for the suggestions, particularly that of Booster Gold. I'm not as much of a student of DC, so I had no idea that there was a character in their roster with time traveling abilities. I appreciate you taking the time to educate and keep up the good work!
  • Options

I think the newer Booster Gold series was a great time travel series. The one just before Flashpoint .

Also maybe Hourman from 1999, 25 issues.

Shame on me for not having thought of those, especially the Booster Gold series. But there's so many to choose from...

Just a note: the Hourman series was a spin-off from the One Million event, so you might want to read the latter first... though I suppose it's not absolutely necessary.

• Options
    Spydes said:

Hey guys...

Thanks!

Comeback A 5-issue mini from Image was pretty good.